Child with anxiety

  • Tara
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 27, 2010
      Hello,

      I have an 11 year old son who seems to have a lot of anxiety. He has started seeing a psychologist and she, in fact, says he has an anxiety disorder and may have compulsions as well. He has always had a lot of fears, and he is very sensitive and intuitive. The psychologist suggested he go on Prozac and Zoloft, but I will not do that to my son.

      I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest some natural remedies that could help him.

      Thank you very much,
      Tara
    • medusa569
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 28, 2010
        I applaud your decision to not medicate with these poisons. If he is not
        posing any threat of harm to himself or others then this is not
        necessary and I'm surprised a psychologist is suggesting this. sounds
        like a wanna be psychiatrist in training. If he is exasperated and needs
        a little something to help calm down there are many herbal blends
        available. Personally I have used an amino acid called gaba.
        It is available on line and at most larger health food stores. It feels
        like a xanex or a muscle relaxer and can help take the edge of an
        excitable situation. The effects last 4-6 hours and is easily titrated
        for the correct amount needed. You may want to get testing for a
        biological causation as well.

        good luck to you...medusa

        On 09/27/2010 10:53 PM, Tara wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have an 11 year old son who seems to have a lot of anxiety. He has started seeing a psychologist and she, in fact, says he has an anxiety disorder and may have compulsions as well. He has always had a lot of fears, and he is very sensitive and intuitive. The psychologist suggested he go on Prozac and Zoloft, but I will not do that to my son.
        >
        > I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest some natural remedies that could help him.
        >
        > Thank you very much,
        > Tara
        >

        > ------------------------------------

        > Peacefulmind.com Sponsors Alternative Answers-
        >
        > HEALING NATURALLY- Learn preventative and curative measure to take for many ailments at:
        >
        > http://www.peacefulmind.com/ailments.htm

      • david kenna
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 28, 2010
          Tara,Almost certainly a deficiency disorder unless he has had some emotional trauma.Often lack of iron and B vitamins especially B3. Good quality supplements can produce remarkable results.Also he is likely short of magnesium, best use the spray on chloride. Just rub on the skin and it is absorbed better than tablets.Keep him off sweets and sugary drinks even fruit juices for a few weeks see how much better he is then.David

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 28, 2010
            Tara

            Something I use for myself, especially in the evening when I have a
            difficult time settling down is a powdered magnesium

            called Natural Calm. You should be able to get it at any health food store
            or online. The only ingredient is magnesium and

            the only side affect of too much magnesium is diarrhea. It may help some at
            night.

            I'd recommend a naturopath, acupuncturist or herbalist to held uncover the
            cause of the anxiety and treat that rather than to

            treat the symptoms.

            Bonnie

            Honoring the Power of Spirit, Living the Life You Desire

            <http://www.bonniestrehlow.blogspot.com/> www.bonniestrehlow.blogspot.com

            <http://www.tocleaders.com/bonniestrehlow>
            www.tocleaders.com/bonniestrehlow

            "When women awaken, mountains will move." Chinese proverb

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 28, 2010
              I am an empathy and intuitive and also suffer from anxiety .. it comes and
              goes. For the most part I wont do meds but there are times and periods of
              times I will, when my stomach is constantly in a knot etc. untreated anxiety
              changes into depression and it can go into severe depression. putting a
              child on meds definitely requires serious consideration.

              I definitely understand both sides of the coin in this situation.

              Exercise is one of the best ways in which to deal with anxiety. I will say
              though too that there have been times I have been very thankful for being
              able to take meds for periods of time as well.

              Let us know how you make out :)
              Lisa

              ¸,.·´¯`·.»§« Practice a
              Random Act of Kindness »§«.·´¯`·.,¸

              ©
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spiritually_Speaking
              spiritually_speaking-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              : )

              Permission to share
              freely as long as footer is included.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 28, 2010
                I would highly recommend you get this child on Cataplex B & Cataplex G from Standard Process immediately. The child is deficient in all the B vitamins.

                Heather

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Sep 27, 2010, at 9:53 PM, "Tara" <geminitd6769@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I have an 11 year old son who seems to have a lot of anxiety. He has started seeing a psychologist and she, in fact, says he has an anxiety disorder and may have compulsions as well. He has always had a lot of fears, and he is very sensitive and intuitive. The psychologist suggested he go on Prozac and Zoloft, but I will not do that to my son.
                >
                > I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest some natural remedies that could help him.
                >
                > Thank you very much,
                > Tara

              • quinn bennett
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 28, 2010
                  Essential oils can help with anxiety. Lavender, Orange, and Lemon are some of
                  the few that I know of and have personally used.

                  One to two drops on the back of the neck should do the trick.

                  Or you can Diffuse into the air, inhale directly, or place on a cotton wick.

                  Check out my essential oils blog:

                  eofy.blogger.com

                  Quinn

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 28, 2010
                    chamomile tea, lavendar baths, yoga, teach your child meditation techniques and  when they feel tension they can calm themselves with these natural techniques. you are wise in searching for other answers other than drugging the child :-)

                    Amie

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 29, 2010
                      I would not recommend taking GABA without a professional naturpathic doctor. This can be very dangerous. A naturpathic doctor can help you get to the root cause of the problem.
                      Sincerely,
                      Heather

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Sep 28, 2010, at 8:24 AM, medusa569 <medusa569@...> wrote:

                      > I applaud your decision to not medicate with these poisons. If he is not
                      > posing any threat of harm to himself or others then this is not
                      > necessary and I'm surprised a psychologist is suggesting this. sounds
                      > like a wanna be psychiatrist in training. If he is exasperated and needs
                      > a little something to help calm down there are many herbal blends
                      > available. Personally I have used an amino acid called gaba.
                      > It is available on line and at most larger health food stores. It feels
                      > like a xanex or a muscle relaxer and can help take the edge of an
                      > excitable situation. The effects last 4-6 hours and is easily titrated
                      > for the correct amount needed. You may want to get testing for a
                      > biological causation as well.
                      >
                      > good luck to you...medusa
                      >
                      > On 09/27/2010 10:53 PM, Tara wrote:
                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > I have an 11 year old son who seems to have a lot of anxiety. He has started seeing a psychologist and she, in fact, says he has an anxiety disorder and may have compulsions as well. He has always had a lot of fears, and he is very sensitive and intuitive. The psychologist suggested he go on Prozac and Zoloft, but I will not do that to my son.
                      > >
                      > > I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest some natural remedies that could help him.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you very much,
                      > > Tara

                      > > Peacefulmind.com Sponsors Alternative Answers-
                      > >
                      > > HEALING NATURALLY- Learn preventative and curative measure to take for many ailments at:
                      > >
                      > > http://www.peacefulmind.com/ailments.htm

                    • Tara Dowell
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 29, 2010
                        He has never had an emotional trauma. I will take your advice on the supplementation. Thank you very much, David.

                        Tara

                        Sent from my iPod

                        On Sep 28, 2010, at 10:15 AM, david kenna <davidjohnkenna@...> wrote:

                        > Tara,Almost certainly a deficiency disorder unless he has had some emotional trauma.Often lack of iron and B vitamins especially B3. Good quality supplements can produce remarkable results.Also he is likely short of magnesium, best use the spray on chloride. Just rub on the skin and it is absorbed better than tablets.Keep him off sweets and sugary drinks even fruit juices for a few weeks see how much better he is then.David

                      • Tara Dowell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 29, 2010
                          I actually have some Natural Calm I bought for myself. I'll have to give him some. Thank you Bonnie.

                          Tara

                          Sent from my iPod

                          On Sep 28, 2010, at 10:19 AM, "Bonnie Strehlow" <bonnie@...> wrote:

                          > Tara
                          >
                          > Something I use for myself, especially in the evening when I have a
                          > difficult time settling down is a powdered magnesium
                          >
                          > called Natural Calm. You should be able to get it at any health food store
                          > or online. The only ingredient is magnesium and
                          >
                          > the only side affect of too much magnesium is diarrhea. It may help some at
                          > night.
                          >
                          > I'd recommend a naturopath, acupuncturist or herbalist to held uncover the
                          > cause of the anxiety and treat that rather than to
                          >
                          > treat the symptoms.
                          >
                          > Bonnie
                          >
                          > Honoring the Power of Spirit, Living the Life You Desire
                          >
                          > <http://www.bonniestrehlow.blogspot.com/> www.bonniestrehlow.blogspot.com
                          >
                          > <http://www.tocleaders.com/bonniestrehlow>
                          > www.tocleaders.com/bonniestrehlow
                          >
                          > "When women awaken, mountains will move." Chinese proverb

                        • Tara Dowell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 29, 2010
                            Lisa,

                            I would consider it if he was distressed all the time, but most of the time he is a happy kid. My husband and I sometimes worry how he will be as a teenager; we will be watching him closely for signs of depression.

                            Thank you Lisa,
                            Tara

                            Sent from my iPod

                            On Sep 28, 2010, at 11:30 AM, "Lisa Day" <day6@...> wrote:

                            > I am an empathy and intuitive and also suffer from anxiety .. it comes and
                            > goes. For the most part I wont do meds but there are times and periods of
                            > times I will, when my stomach is constantly in a knot etc. untreated anxiety
                            > changes into depression and it can go into severe depression. putting a
                            > child on meds definitely requires serious consideration.
                            >
                            > I definitely understand both sides of the coin in this situation.
                            >
                            > Exercise is one of the best ways in which to deal with anxiety. I will say
                            > though too that there have been times I have been very thankful for being
                            > able to take meds for periods of time as well.
                            >
                            > Let us know how you make out :)
                            > Lisa
                            >
                            > ¸,.·´¯`·.»§« Practice a
                            > Random Act of Kindness »§«.·´¯`·.,¸
                            >
                            > ©
                            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spiritually_Speaking
                            > spiritually_speaking-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                            > : )
                            >
                            > Permission to share
                            > freely as long as footer is included.

                          • Tara Dowell
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 29, 2010
                              Ok I will look for that.

                              Thank you Heather,

                              Tara

                              Sent from my iPod

                              On Sep 28, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Heather Painter <reflex4betterhealth@...> wrote:

                              > I would highly recommend you get this child on Cataplex B & Cataplex G from Standard Process immediately. The child is deficient in all the B vitamins.
                              >
                              > Heather
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone
                              >
                              > On Sep 27, 2010, at 9:53 PM, "Tara" <geminitd6769@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Hello,
                              > >
                              > > I have an 11 year old son who seems to have a lot of anxiety. He has started seeing a psychologist and she, in fact, says he has an anxiety disorder and may have compulsions as well. He has always had a lot of fears, and he is very sensitive and intuitive. The psychologist suggested he go on Prozac and Zoloft, but I will not do that to my son.
                              > >
                              > > I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest some natural remedies that could help him.
                              > >
                              > > Thank you very much,
                              > > Tara

                            • Chris
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 29, 2010
                                Hi Tara, as someone else replied, I see both sides too re meds and no meds.

                                That said, I'll pass along some ideas that *might* work, it's trial and error. And don't start too many things at the same time, trial one and see if any benefit, etc., so you will know what is, or isn't, helping.

                                I have a son with OCD, so am just passing along things I and others have tried; some have been helped, some no effect.

                                Inositol powder may help with the anxiety and any type OCD compulsions. The dosage really varies, you want to use (with anything) the least amount that will help. When we used it for my son (severe OCD) we had him on around 13-14 grams a day. Some have been helped with 5 or 6 grams a day. Like I said it varies. So start low (and go slow, can upset stomach until he adjusts to it) and slowly build up over weeks. To take *grams* you need the powder, would be way too many tablets to swallow. Just mix it in with some juice (but not apple, doesn't mix well with it). It supposedly has a sweet taste so hopefully he won't notice it in there, etc.

                                I have another son who suffers with some anxiety. He has used Kali Phos (a tissue salt) to help when he starts feeling panicky. (My OCD son won't try it!)

                                Some parents have felt a couple Native Remedies products have helped. MindSoothe was one, I think the other was Pure Calm.

                                Some have found benefits going to a homeopath.

                                Always notice I said *some* because what works for one, doesn't work for all.

                                We've gone through a lot of alternative products with my son. The inositol powder did help him for quite a while. His OCD returned later and we've tried it since, even at higher dose, and no help. But that would be my first choice to try for your son. Just from my experience, I found the Source Naturals brand to mix the best with liquids.

                                Hope this helps!

                                Chris in NC
                                single mom, 3 sons

                              • rubyandkaitlin@btinternet.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 30, 2010
                                  Hi

                                  Your son sounds a lot lke mine. I would never put mine on any kind of medication either. Has he always been like this? I found cranial ossteopathy very helpful for my son. You would need to find one that is qualified to work with children though. Also homeopathy has worked wonders with him over the years. He does have OCD though (not diagnosed), but we have come round to the idea that the things he does are really not harmful, or particularly obvious, so we just accept them. If your son hasn't always been like this, is there something else going on in his life? School is a huge cause of anxiety for children who are very sensitive and intuitive. My sound found school very hard until I took him out to home educate him. I'm not suggesting you do that, but it might be worth investigating ways to make school a little easier for your son.

                                  Hope this helps a little.

                                  Liz

                                  --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, "Tara" <geminitd6769@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello,
                                  >
                                  > I have an 11 year old son who seems to have a lot of anxiety. He has started seeing a psychologist and she, in fact, says he has an anxiety disorder and may have compulsions as well. He has always had a lot of fears, and he is very sensitive and intuitive. The psychologist suggested he go on Prozac and Zoloft, but I will not do that to my son.
                                  >
                                  > I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest some natural remedies that could help him.
                                  >
                                  > Thank you very much,
                                  > Tara

                                • Akasha M
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 30, 2010
                                    I too have a young child that suffers from anxiety and depression. She did take prozac/paxil and seroquel for sleep. Even though these are tough medications, they were very helpful. She took them for about 6 months and got "stable" then stopped them. Her depression and anxiety was manageable without meds. She worked hard to become aware of triggers and to control her response.

                                    St John's Wort was used at times as well as melatonin for sleep. There were some side effects with the melatonin and the St. John's Wort and they were stopped too.

                                    Sometimes it helps to use pharmacology as a tool to stabilize and then, going natural is much easier. Each child is different and needs different combination of meds and vitamins/herbs. Leave no stone unturned and do what you feel comfortable with.

                                    Wishing you and your child wellness.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 30, 2010
                                      Hi Liz,

                                      Yes, he's been like this since he was a toddler. I have two older children who are not like this at all. And nothing traumatic ever happened to him. He was with me constantly - he never went to daycare or had a babysitter who could have traumatized him.

                                      I started our thanking you all individually, but I don't want to clutter the list so just know I am reading all of your suggestions and I am very grateful to everyone who has taken the time to offer them.

                                      Tara

                                      Sent from my iPod