Summer Solstice Week: Traditional Chinese Medicine

  • yogiguruji
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 24, 2010
      Good Morning!

      Summer Solstice Week: Traditional Chinese Medicine

      In Traditional Chinese Medicine, we have a healing methodology called the 5 Phases (Elements). Summer is ruled by the Fire element and is expressed in nature as well as in the body. Growth, joy and spiritual awareness between the heart and mind are the focus during this season. Summer-heat belongs to the element of fire and is predominant during the summer season. Symptoms of summer heat are excess body heat, profuse sweating, parched mouth and throat, constipation, and heart palpitations. Overactive functioning of an organ system can result in symptoms of thirst, aversion to heat and craving for cold, infection, inflammation, dryness, red face, sweating, irritability, dark yellow urine, restlessness, constipation and "hyper" conditions such as hypertension.

      Strengthening the immune system should be a part of any seasonal ritual! Any tonic formula that strengthens the essence, nourishes the Qi and regulates the heart is appropriate. Remember, the best form of medicine, is preventative. Consider Andrew's great Summer Tonic Tea.

      Learn how to heal with the seasons and how Traditional Chinese Medicine will help you find remedies and bring your body back into balance!

      Heart and Small Intestine

      In summer, our energy dominates the Heart and the Small Intestine meridians. There is a secondary relationship to the Pericardium and San Jiao or Triple (Burner) Warmer. The heart dominates the blood and vessels, pumping life blood through them. The function of the heart is to circulate blood to the body. As long as the heart is in motion, blood circulates through the vessels maintaining life. The power of the heart manifests on the face. When our face is well supplied with life circulating blood, the fine capillaries in the face will present on the face with a rosy and lustrous complexion. Chinese medicine traditionally regards the face as a mirror of the condition of our heart.

      It is said that the heart houses the mind or our Shen. The Shen is described as the Spirit. In the Huang di Neijing (Yellow Emperor's Inner Canon), the ancient Chinese medical text that has been treated as the fundamental doctrinal source for Chinese medicine for more than two millennia, the Shen refers to the mechanism of change or the mystery of sudden and profound transformation, and the expression in a person's face, particularly the eyes. When applied to our body, the Shen describes what would be called our physical vitality, mental activity, and spirit.

      Sweat is considered the humour or fluid of the heart. A humour is a liquid or fluent part of the body. For example, The vitreous humor is the clear gel that fills the space between the lens and the retina of the eyeball Sweating is a natural cooling process for the body. Because sweat is the humor of the heart and blood along with fluids are the same source, there is a direct correspondence. Someone who has lost a large quantity of blood does not sweat, and someone that has excessive sweat tends to have poor blood circulation, anemia or excessive heat signs.

      The heart also opens to the tongue. The color of the body of the tongue reflects the condition of heart blood. Chinese medicine practitioners often discover information about the heart's condition from the tip of the tongue where imbalances of the upper (burner) organs, lung and heart, may excpress themselves. The important signs in heart syndromes are palpitations, a tendency to be frightened, chest oppression, pain in the cardiac region, insomnia, nightmares, poor memory and delirium.

      The Small Intestine transforms food particles, separating the pure from the turbid. The small intestine receives partially digested food from the stomach and processes it for further digestion by separating it into what the body needs and waste providing its function to transfer what is needed to the spleen, which is in charge of transporting it to the five organ networks. Fluids reabsorbed and is passed on to the bladder. Solid waste is transfered to and expelled throught the large intestine. The relation between the Heart and the Small Intestine is best shown in the mental activities of the two. The heart meridian communicates with the small intestine as they have an exterior and interior relationship and influence each other closely. It is of great importance to our spirit to be of clear mind and make wise decisions. Therefore, when the small intestine is out of balance, it can expres as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, diarrhea or indigestion. All of these disorders appear to have a huge emotional connection to their manifestion. Some cases of burning urination (particularly if accompanied by symptoms of dark or red urine) are treated by clearing heat in the heart. This heat, transferred from heart to small intestine is then carried to the bladder with the fluid wastes. Other symptoms many cause thirst, bitter taste in the mouth, tongue ulcers and blood in the urine.

      The Pericardium takes care of protecting the heart. The pericardium is a double-walled sac that contains the heart and the roots of the great vessels. The pericardium's outer coat (the parietal pericardium) is tough and thickened, loosely cloaks the heart, and is attached to the central part of the diaphragm and the back of the breastbone. Its inner coat (the visceral pericardium or epicardium) is double, with one layer closely adherent to the heart and the other lining the inner surface of the outer coat. The intervening space between these layers is filled with pericardial fluid. This small amount of fluid acts as a lubricant to allow normal heart movement within the chest.

      The San Jiao is a term found in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), as part of modelling the workings of the human body attempted by early Chinese medical writers. References to it can be found in the oldest Chinese medical texts the triple warmer balances various forms of energy (qi), including the harmony of hormonal function. The San Jiao has been translated as triple heater, triple warmer, three warmers or triple burner. The Shang Jiao (upper burner) - corresponding to the thoracic cavity. This space includes the lungs and heart and is associated with respiration. The Zhong Jiao (middle burner) - corresponding to the upper part of the dorsal cavity. This space includes the stomach and spleen and includes the Hepatic Portal System, various secretory pancreatic cells, perhaps the duodenum, portions of the lymphatic system carrying chyle, as well as catabolic and functions of liver cells and is associated with digestion. The Xia Jiao (lower burner) - corresponding to the lower part of the dorsal cavity. This space includes the small intestine, the large intestine, the kidneys, the bladder and is associated with elimination.

      Together these four meridians are in charge of the processing, storage, and distribution of vital energy and therefore the maintenance of life.

      The Fire Element

      The element, Fire is associated with the Summer season and with heat.

      The element is associated with the heart, pericardium, small intestines and related to the tongue.

      Fire represents physical strength, force, courage, desire, initiative, fertility, passion, purification and rejuvenation. It represents both light and heat. A positive fire person is strong, courageous and bold, dramatic and passionate in all areas within himself.

      Emotionally, this element is associated with the mind and it's stability. The heart is the "seat" of the mind and therefore, its highest expression is love. Enthusiasm, warmth in human relationships and conscious awareness.

      The heart Chakra is in the center of the Chakra system and is the integrator of opposites in the psyche: mind and body, male and female, persona and shadow, ego and unity.

      When imbalanced, we may either lack joy (depression) or have an excess of joy (maniac condition). Fire is symbolic of maximum activity or greatest Yang; nature at its peak of growth, and the motion is upward. Agitation, nervous exhaustion, heartburn and insomnia are other indicators of imbalance in this area.

      Physically, when the fire element is balanced, the heart properly governs and circulates the blood and insures proper assimilation of the beginning breakdown of food in the small intestines.

      Emotionally, when the fire element is balanced, sensitivity and expression, true fulfillment and the equilibrium between heart and mind are our greatest rewards.

      Joy

      Finding joy in things we do can give great pleasure, satisfaction and the ability to appreciate all that we are given in life! The greatness of finding JOY in anything we do is an art, which encompasses other feelings of appreciation, happiness and self contentment. These wonderful emotions have a balancing counterpart and are found with every emotion we feel. On one end of the spectrum is Joy, on the other sadness. On one end of the spectrum there is anger, on the other there is pensiveness. This balancing act we experience all the time.

      From a Western Science point of view, emotions arise from complex chemical reactions deep inside our brain. We actually have different classes of emotions that arise from different brain areas. We have ancient, primitive emotions that we share with all animals that have brains. These emotions are very powerful and drive what we think of as instinctual behavior.

      Traditional Chinese Medical Theory recognizes control of our body by Five Elements: Earth, Wood, Fire, Water and Metal. Each of the Five Elements is associated with a particular organ. The Ancients related a variety of different characteristics with each element and therefore with each organ. Traditional Chinese Medical practitioners use such characteristics to help diagnose patients and to understand the etiology of the symptoms. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, joy is most prevelant in the Summer. It is considered the emotion of Summer. Although we can and do experience joy at any time or season, it is Summer when this emotion is most in excess. This is believed to be due to the changes of light and great heat which vary the balance within us.

      For example:
      Joy (Over-excitement or Manic behavior)
      Affects the Heart and Fire Element
      Slows the flow of Qi
      then Fear controls Joy (Water controls Fire)

      Common signs and symptoms include:
      Palpitations
      Insomnia
      Unclear Thinking
      Mania, Disturbed Shen (possibly manic, risk-taking)
      Heart Attack

      An example of this is:
      Migraine headache caused by sudden joy from receiving good news.

      Finding Balance in Joy

      Joy, as the energy of love, is one of the highest vibrations on this planet. According to the Universal Law of Attraction, as we think and feel we vibrate. And as we vibrate, we attract. When we vibrate with joy and love, we attract what is for our greater good.

      Bring the joy, love and happiness that's already inside you to life! Sages tell us that joy is realized when the personality and soul are in harmony. Experience ways to go beyond conditional happiness to the blissful state of joy and love. As you resonate with joy, love and happiness you automatically draw to you a more meaningful, healthy, loving life.

      The experience of joy can:
      *strengthen your immune system.
      *regenerate your whole physical system.
      *burn away the impurities in your emotional system.
      *disperse worries, anxieties, grief, greed, irritation and other negative emotions.
      *sharpen your intellect and strengthen your memory.
      *clarify and balance your mind.
      *expand your consciousness and understanding.
      *open you to receive higher impressions, inspirations, and transforming energies.

      Andrew Pacholyk, MS. L.Ac
      http://www.peacefulmind.com/proacumed.htm
      Therapies for healing
      mind, body, spirit
    • Andrew Pacholyk
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 19, 2011
        Good Morning!

[...]

        From a Western Science point of view, emotions arise from complex chemical
        reactions deep inside our brain. We actually have different classes of emotions
        that arise from different brain areas. We have ancient, primitive emotions that
        we share with all animals that have brains. These emotions are very powerful and
        drive what we think of as instinctual behavior.

      • Lucia
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2011
          Hello Andrew, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a question, as you are the only person dealing with Traditional Chinese Medicine I know. I am 59 and I have hypertension and tachycardia (between 90 and 100 heart beats) and I'd like to get off the medication I have been taking for several years. Do you think that Traditional Chinese Medicine could help me with this problem I have? I know next to nothing about this kind of medicine.
          My best,
          Lucia

          --- On Sun, 6/19/11, Andrew Pacholyk <yogiguruji@...> wrote:

          Good Morning!

          Summer Solstice Week: Traditional Chinese Medicine

          In Traditional Chinese Medicine, we have a healing methodology called the 5
          Phases (Elements). The element, Fire is associated with the Summer season and with heat.

          http://www.peacefulmind.com/ailments.htm

        • Andrew Pacholyk
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 25, 2011
            Good day, Lucia,

            Thank you for your post! And I am grateful that you are apart of this community.

            Yes, I treat hypertension and tachycardia often. With that said, the beauty of Chinese Medicine and acupuncture is that this medicine takes a look at disorders according to their pattern diagnosis. Another words, two people can be diagnosed with a Western diagnosis of hypertension and yet they could have two completely different patterns. This is what makes this medicine so individualized. In Western medicine, as you know, the patient is given antihypertensives, which are a class of drugs that are used to treat hypertension.

            In Traditional Chinese Medicine, acupuncture is done along with an herbal decoction that is appropriate to YOUR pattern diagnosis. The great thing about this is, that as your body starts to find its own balance again, your pattern diagnosis will change. This is Western medicine falls short, as the antihypertensives drugs are a one-size-fits all perscription. Your acupuncture/herbalist can alter your herbal decoction as well as acu-points to fit your ever-changing pattern.

            With that said... when dealing with any type of alternative, complimentary, or natural medicine, it may take time to see the results you want to see. Remember, you did not become ill (off balance) overnight, so your journey back to balance does not happen overnight either! I often find it very interesting when a patient will say to me, "oh ya, I tried natural medicine (acupuncture, herbal medicine, massage, ayurveda....) and it didn't work for me". It is often due to several things, but usually it is because the patient did not give it time to work, well.

            This medicine is brilliant for so many conditions. Acute conditions can usually bounce back in 4-6 treatments. Chronic conditions can take anywhere between 3 months to a year. I have seen this over and over again in my years of practice. Unfortunately, we live in a world now where everyone wants everything, yesterday and the art of experiencing the moment and having patience gets lost very easily.

            I would recommend seeking out a licensed acupuncturist and certified Chinese herbalist. You must do them both together in order for your condition to be treated fully.

            You can find a local acupuncturist/herbalist on these reputable sites:

            http://www.acufinder.com

            http://www.citysearch.com

            http://healthprofs.com/cam/prof_search.php

            I hope this helps.

            In happiness,

            Andrew Pacholyk MS, L.Ac
            http://www.peacefulmind.com
            http://www.proacumed.com

            --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, Lucia <lucia_n36@...> wrote:

            > Hello Andrew, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a question, as you are the only person dealing with Traditional Chinese Medicine I know. I am 59 and I have hypertension and tachycardia (between 90 and 100 heart beats) and I'd like to get off the medication I have been taking for several years. Do you think that Traditional Chinese Medicine could help me with this problem I have? I know next to nothing about this kind of medicine.
            > My best,
            > Lucia
            >
            > --- On Sun, 6/19/11, Andrew Pacholyk <yogiguruji@...> wrote:
            >

            > Good Morning!
            >
            > Summer Solstice Week: Traditional Chinese Medicine
            >
            > In Traditional Chinese Medicine, we have a healing methodology called the 5
            > Phases (Elements). The element, Fire is associated with the Summer season and with heat.
            >
            > http://www.peacefulmind.com/ailments.htm

          • Muhammad Masry
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 26, 2011
              If I may reply, I'd like to represent some solutions, dear lady
              Use raw garlic first thing in the morning, and before every mealDrink cold Hibiscus before bedtimeGreen tea with peppermint after mealsCupping therapy saved my life more than once. Use it once every month, for at least 3 monthsLifestyle change
              Best wishesEl-Masry

              Hello Andrew, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a question, as you are the only person dealing with Traditional Chinese Medicine I know. I am 59 and I have hypertension and tachycardia (between 90 and 100 heart beats) and I'd like to get off the medication I have been taking for several years. Do you think that Traditional Chinese Medicine could help me with this problem I have? I know next to nothing about this kind of medicine.
              My best,
              Lucia

              --- On Sun, 6/19/11, Andrew Pacholyk <yogiguruji@...> wrote:

              Good Morning!

              Summer Solstice Week: Traditional Chinese Medicine

              In Traditional Chinese Medicine, we have a healing methodology called the 5
              Phases (Elements). The element, Fire is associated with the Summer season and with heat.

              http://www.peacefulmind.com/ailments.htm

              ------------------------------------

              Peacefulmind.com Sponsors Alternative Answers-

              HEALING NATURALLY- Learn preventative and curative measure to take for many ailments at:

              http://www.peacefulmind.com/ailments.htm

            • Shannon Brese
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 26, 2011
                I will second Andrew's comment, not from a practitioner's perspective but
                from a patients. I have had psoriasis for many years. About five years ago
                the worst flare up I have ever experienced began. I learned how a food
                allergy was contributing, and eliminated dairy from my diet. Over the past
                few years I have been moving my diet from a very unhealthy one (which I will
                spare you the details of!) to a whole-foods based diet rich in fruits and
                veggies, and trading out carbs for protein. I've also been realizing the
                importance of exercise.

                I've been seeing an acupuncturist, who was actually my TCM professor at
                school. She is wonderful, and gave me a combination of herbs and
                acupuncture treatments, as well as making some dietary and lifestyle
                recommendations. The results have been really remarkable. My skin is
                clearing for the first time in almost 5 years, but better yet is the way I
                FEEL. I feel healthier and happier than I can ever remember feeling, and I
                know that my psoriasis treatments are not only treating my psoriasis
                symptoms, but my whole self.correcting my particular imbalance that led to
                the psoriasis rather than just taking a pill or shot that makes the symptoms
                go away without ever addressing the underlying cause.

                Definitely seek out a qualified practitioner, TCM does indeed have a lot to
                offer in terms of rebalancing and eliminating chronic disease!

                Shannon Brese

                _____

                <mailto:AlternativeAnswers%40yahoogroups.com> , Lucia <lucia_n36@...> wrote:

                > Hello Andrew, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a question, as you are
                the only person dealing with Traditional Chinese Medicine I know. I am 59
                and I have hypertension and tachycardia (between 90 and 100 heart beats) and
                I'd like to get off the medication I have been taking for several years. Do
                you think that Traditional Chinese Medicine could help me with this problem
                I have? I know next to nothing about this kind of medicine.
                > My best,
                > Lucia
                >
                > --- On Sun, 6/19/11, Andrew Pacholyk <yogiguruji@...> wrote:
                >

                > Good Morning!
                >
                > Summer Solstice Week: Traditional Chinese Medicine
                >
                > In Traditional Chinese Medicine, we have a healing methodology called the
                5
                > Phases (Elements). The element, Fire is associated with the Summer season
                and with heat.

                > http://www.peacefulmind.com/ailments.htm

                <mailto:AlternativeAnswers-owner%40yahoogroups.com>
                Links

              • Lucia
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
                  Hello El-Masry, thank you for answering my question. I would need a few more details, though. I would be very tahnkful if you answered the questions below:
                  - by cold Hibiscus you mean Hibiscus tea?
                  - what is cupping therapy? Do you know where I can find information on it? You mean this cupping therapy must be performend once every month?
                  - if you have any specific recommandation for life stylechanges, please let me know.
                  Thanks again. My best,
                  Lucia

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                    Hello Andrew,
                    Thank you for the detailed reply and also for making feel welcomed in the group. I am honored to be part of it and I want to thank everyone here who sent me replies on the group as well as to my personal address.

                    I know how alternative ways work and I am fine with the time I have to wait before I see any improvement. I also trust and value homeopathy very much. And that too is a slow process.  I shall definitely seek the one doctor in town, about whom I know that she does TCM .

                    Thank you again!
                    My best wishes,
                    Lucia

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                      Hello Shannon,
                      Thanks for the reply. A change in life style has been on my mind lately, but I cannot get a hold of it. Am working on it, though.
                      Best wishes,
                      Lucia

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                        Hi Lucia!

                        Small steps, one thing at a time. I used to set myself up for failure by
                        taking on too much at once, changing everything. I would start eating
                        differently, quit drinking soda, exercise like crazy.all at once. Never
                        worked, I'd be exhausted and feeling really crappy (because my body was
                        adjusting to things and dropping toxins too quickly).

                        While I was in school I was talking to my Ayurveda professor, and he told me
                        what I already knew.I had to give myself time. So I started with smoking.
                        Once I quit smoking and felt sort of OK with it, I went to soda. By then I
                        was feeling "ready" to quit drinking soda, I knew how bad it was for me and
                        hated that I was 'hooked.' So I stopped drinking soda, and it actually went
                        really smoothly. The difference was I was already through the nicotine
                        addiction before I started dealing with caffeine/sugar withdrawls.which made
                        all the difference in my success rate.

                        So don't get discouraged, just do a little here and there. Every day, or
                        once a week, or whatever your "schedule" tells you, change something else.
                        Quit a bad habit or pick up a new healthy one.but give yourself time to get
                        through it before you undertake the next change.

                        Most importantly, if you slip, don't beat yourself up. I quit smoking four
                        times over 10 years. Just be persistent, eventually it will "stick." :-)

                        What's that adage, life is not in the destination, but in the journey?
                        Enjoy your trip to a healthy and beneficial lifestyle!

                        Shannon Brese

                        Editor in Chief/Project Manager

                        <http://www.medicinetalk.org/> www.medicinetalk.org

                        The greatest wealth is health.

                        ~Virgil

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
                          TCM, Herbal medicine, Homeopathy, Orthodox medicine or any of the healing system, all are slow and time taking. Slow in a sense that a life long period is required to completely cure a patient. Now if a patient of 55 is sick besides taking orthodox medicine, can't we say the system of medicine is slow and eating up the age of patient, moreover increasing poison level in body. They cure and suppress the diseases as well. Suppressed disease along with the constitution become complex and being in that condition for a long period the patient forgets healthy activities of body. Exploring about the ailments in such patient takes time. The layer upon layer of disease is to be unfolded. The reality is that patients co-operation can shorten the time period of cure who normally fed up responding Dr.
                          Surely Homeopathy works truly for embryo to oldest.

                          Dr.

                        • Andrew Pacholyk