Exercise As An Anti-Aging Tool

  • yogiguruji
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2008
      Good Morning!

      Exercise As An Anti-Aging Tool

      Researchers divided 235 sedentary men and women into two groups. One
      group did traditional structured exercise 20-60 minutes continuously.
      The other group incorporated into their day brisk walks, stair
      climbing and other moderate-intensity lifestyle activities. After 6
      months, both groups had similar improvements in blood cholesterol,
      blood pressure and percentage of body fat. The structured exercisers
      gained more cardiovascular fitness. But the point is, the moderate-
      intensity folks did benefit. [1].

      A group of sedentary, obese women lost 17 to 23 pounds over a period
      of 20 weeks by walking for ten minutes 5 days a week. At first, they
      walked twice a day, then worked up to four times a day. If you are
      not overweight, lifestyle activities probably won't help you shed
      pounds. But they may help you convert fat to lean muscle.

      Structured exercise in longer sessions is better for you. But
      something is better than nothing. For sedentary folks — those who are
      physically inactive — lifestyle activity can still give you some of
      the same cardiovascular benefits of exercise. Served up in dollops, >
      it's easier to fit into your day.

      How to do it

      By increasing lifestyle activities each day, try doing four 10-minute
      increases at least five days a week. The idea is to just do more of
      what you are already doing. Here are some great ideas on getting
      motivated:

      *Walk, don't drive.

      *Take the stairs at the office — not the elevator.

      *Play with your kids instead of watching them play.

      *Bike to the store.

      *Stretch while you watch TV.

      *Get up from the sofa to change the channel. Channel surfers get
      quite a workout.

      *Park at the opposite end of the mall from where you're headed.

      *If you've got an exercise bike at home, peddle away for 5 minutes
      while you're talking on the phone or waiting for the washing machine
      to finish.

      *Walk the treadmill while watching a favorite TV program.

      *Listen to music and dance your way through housecleaning.

      *Start slow — a few minutes at first. Then, pick up the pace and go
      longer.

      *Workout clothes are not necessary, but wear good walking shoes.

      *Don't let missing a few days become your excuse to quit.

      *Even if you miss a few days, you won't lose all the benefits you've
      gained.

      *Be flexible. Do what you can when you can.

      *Take advantage of opportunities. If you're watching your child's
      soccer game, walk around the field.

      *Playing golf? Skip the cart.

      *Find a partner. Climbing stairs at the office will be far more
      interesting if you chat away the minutes with a co-worker.

      *Instead of building your life around exercise, build exercise around
      your life. [2]

      1. Aerobics: The word aerobic literally means "with oxygen" or "in
      the presence of oxygen." Aerobic exercise is any activity that uses
      large muscle groups, can be maintained continuously for a long period
      of time and is rhythmic in nature. Aerobic activity trains the heart,
      lungs and cardiovascular system to process and deliver oxygen more
      quickly and efficiently to every part of the body. As the heart
      muscle becomes stronger and more efficient, a larger amount of blood
      can be pumped with each stroke. Fewer strokes are then required to
      rapidly transport oxygen to all parts of the body. An aerobically fit
      individual can work longer, more vigorously and achieve a quicker
      recovery at the end of the aerobic session.

      2. Mind Quieting: A disciplined mind is a free mind. Gain control
      over your thoughts and you maintain control over your life. Retrain
      your mind and you regain your freedom. Calming the mind is a
      behavioral technique used to interupt, minimize and
      eliminate "psychological noise". Obsessive, repeatitive thoughts,
      anxiety and fears are all apart of negative, self-destructive
      patterns that can benefit from the power of music and mind quieting.

      3. Breathing: Breath is life! Exchange of electrons. Flow of energy.
      Air is the primary nutrient. Survival without it is measured in
      minutes. It is so important that you do it without thinking. Your
      breathing is the voice of your spirit. It's depth, smoothness, sound,
      and rate reflect your mood. If you become aware of your breath and
      breathe the way you do when you are calm you will become calm.
      Practicing regular, mindful breathing can be calming and energizing.
      With the addition of music and it's rhythm, the "musical breath" can
      even help stress-related health problems ranging from panic attacks
      to digestive disorders. Fall into the rhythm of the music and
      breathe. Focus on your breathing and the music.

      4. Weight Bearing: exercise stimulates tissue growth in bone and
      muscles, strengthening the body's structure. A stronger skeleton
      reduces the risk of osteoporosis, arthritic joint pain and other bone
      conditions. Also known as resistance training, weight-bearing
      exercise can be any activity that involves carrying, lifting or
      pushing a heavy object. Walking is considered to be weight bearing,
      as muscles and the skeleton support body weight. You do not need
      to `pump iron' to benefit from this form of exercise.

      5. Yoga: Many different types of yoga workouts exist. But many times
      in our quest for fitness and a hard body, At some point it becomes
      just a workout and not yoga. If you come to this path with fitness in
      mind that is important, but Yoga is extremely powerful. If you try to
      rush it, you will only slow yourself down. Yoga is not mind over
      body. It is harmony between them. In yoga, the mind is used to
      perceive (diagnose) and guide (heal) the body. Not to "control" it
      and never to force it.

      6. Stretching: Just as there are different types of flexibility,
      there are also different types of stretching. Stretches are either
      dynamic (meaning they involve motion) or static (meaning they involve
      no motion). Dynamic stretches affect dynamic flexibility and static
      stretches affect static flexibility (and dynamic flexibility to some
      degree).

      7. Power Walking: Studies have suggested a link between increased
      physical activity and a decreased chance for developing disease in
      general. Exercise of any kind trims your odds by improving the body's
      sensitivity to insulin-a hormone, helps control cholesterol, weight,
      and blood pressure, which further guards you from adult-onset of
      disease.

      8. Swimming: It's hard to beat swimming when it comes to a sport that
      builds the body, soothes the mind, regulates breathing, stimulates
      circulation, and puts no stress on the joints. That's why it's an
      ideal exercise for just about everyone -- old people, overweight
      people, young people, people with hip, knee and ankle problems, and
      active people with no health problems at all. Plus, swimming has a
      calorie-burning potential of 350-420 calories per hour. No wonder
      it's one of the most popular fitness sports around.

      9. Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Aikido: TaiChi, QiGong, Aikido- these Asian art
      forms have been practiced for centuries. QiQong is one of the four
      pillars of traditional Chinese medicine: Acupuncture, Massage, Herbal
      Medicines and Qigong. Of these, Qigong is the one that can be most
      easily self initiated. Both massage and herbal remedies can also be
      done as self care, however, Qigong is the mother of Chinese self
      healing. Patients who use Qigong faithfully need less medication,
      less acupuncture and heal faster.

      Tai Chi is a martial arts form that enhances balance and body
      awareness through slow, graceful, and precise body movements, can
      significantly cut the risk of falls among older people and may be
      beneficial in maintaining gains made by people age 70 and older who
      undergo other types of balance and strength training.

      Aikido is a Japanese martial art developed by Morihei Ueshiba (often
      referred to by his title 'O Sensei' or 'Great Teacher'). On a purely
      physical level it is an art involving some throws and joint locks
      that are derived from Jujitsu and some throws and other techniques
      derived from Kenjutsu. Aikido focuses not on punching or kicking
      opponents, but rather on using their own energy to gain control of
      them or to throw them away from you.

      10. Elastic Bands: Resistance training is the benefit of elastic
      bands or tubing. As long as we have gravity, we can challenge our
      muscles effectively. Doing a push-up is one example of a resistance
      exercise. Instead of using weight from another source, you're using
      your body weight to challenge your chest and arm muscles, and you
      will get toned up just as well as you would using a pec deck or a
      bench press. Elastic tubing and bands are great for those who want to
      get the benefits of weight training without using traditional
      weights.

      Andrew Pacholyk, MS, L.Ac
      http://www.peacefulmind.com/anti-aging.htm
      Therapies for healing
      mind, body, spirit

      References

      1. Langsjoen H, Langsjoen P, Langsjoen P, Willis R, Folkers K.
      Clinical cardiology: a long-term study.
      Mol Aspects Med 1994;15 Suppl:s165-75

      2. Beck J, et al: cardiovascular disease. J Periodtal 67 (suppl):
      1123-1137,1996.
    • gmpassociates
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2008
        Phenomenal post Andrew! I use many of these myself including:

        nutritional supplements, meditation (calming the mind plus breathing)
        walking, resistance tubing, qigong, diet and tai chi. I used to lift
        very heavy weights but discovered I was doing more damage than good.
        I also used to run and running was doing more harm than good too.

        I used to look like the pictures in muscle and fitness magazine, but
        figured out that those people often aren't nearly as healthy as they
        look.

        --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, "yogiguruji"
        <yogiguruji@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > muscles effectively. Doing a push-up is one example of a resistance
        > exercise. Instead of using weight from another source, you're using
        > your body weight to challenge your chest and arm muscles, and you
        > will get toned up just as well as you would using a pec deck or a
        > bench press. Elastic tubing and bands are great for those who want
        > get the benefits of weight training without using traditional
        > weights.
        >

        > Andrew Pacholyk, MS, L.Ac
        > http://www.peacefulmind.com/anti-aging.htm
        > Therapies for healing
        > mind, body, spirit
        >

        > References
        >
        > 1. Langsjoen H, Langsjoen P, Langsjoen P, Willis R, Folkers K.
        > Clinical cardiology: a long-term study.
        > Mol Aspects Med 1994;15 Suppl:s165-75
        >
        > 2. Beck J, et al: cardiovascular disease. J Periodtal 67 (suppl):

      • yogiguruji
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2010
          Good Morning!

          http://www.peacefulmind.com/exercise.htm
          Therapies for healing
          mind, body, spirit

          References

          1. Langsjoen H, Langsjoen P, Langsjoen P, Willis R, Folkers K.
          Clinical cardiology: a long-term study.
          Mol Aspects Med 1994;15 Suppl:s165-75

          2. Beck J, et al: cardiovascular disease. J Periodtal 67 (suppl):
          1123-1137,1996.
        • Andrew Pacholyk

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2011
              Thanks for that great information on exercising.

              I try to exercise daily, and that info was encouraging!

              I am going to pass the great info on to others.

              Thanks!!!

              Rhonda Durdaller
              17 fruits and vegetables in a Capsule!!
              NSA/Juice Plus+ Wellness Educator
              www.rmdjuiceplus.com     940-642-8700
               Free Juice Plus for Children. Ask me How!....
              "The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you.   It's that they are so good for you they could save your life." .......