Cholesterol

  • suzq12003
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 9, 2007
      My Mom has a seriously high level at 358 and cant seem to keep a good
      diet what is the best way to lower her Cholesterol . Very concerned
      about her health and would like to offer her suggestions if possible .
      I know ginger helps but that s ll I am aware of . Thanks for sharing if
      you have any advice Suzy
    • Ingrid
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 9, 2007
        Hi Suzy, I don't know if "French Paradox" would help
        her without watching her diet, but it helped me very
        much. There are other supplements that supposedly
        reduce Cholesterol, but French Paradox does it for me
        (and eating mostly vegies).
        Ingrid

        --- suzq12003 <suzq12003@...> wrote:

        > My Mom has a seriously high level at 358 and cant
        > seem to keep a good
        > diet what is the best way to lower her Cholesterol .
        > Very concerned
        > about her health and would like to offer her
        > suggestions if possible .
        > I know ginger helps but that s ll I am aware of .
        > Thanks for sharing if
        > you have any advice Suzy

        http://sims.yahoo.com/
      • kismetsmine
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2007
          Suzy the best thing I have done for my high cholesterol is to stop
          taking the pills that my doctor gave me and upped my good fats, ie
          coconut oil, olive oil, butter <--yes! butter..I will never eat
          margarine again, AND organic grass fed animal fats. You should read
          about the myths of cholesterol. Big Pharmaceutical is getting rich by
          scaring us about cholesterol and the FDA is making sure that we eat
          all of the WRONG fats, the one's that do mess with our blood and
          bodies. You should read Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions and the
          chapter about the myths of cholesterol. Big Pharm keeps us afraid to
          the point where most people take a pill even to stop having a period!!
          Next thing you know menstruation will be bad for us. And that diet
          that the FDA says we should follow will keep Big Pharm richer than
          ever.
          http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/fats_phony.html <--from Mary
          Enig-Westin Price Foundation
          http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm <--this is from Dr. Ravnskov's
          book. Interesting.

          --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, "suzq12003" <suzq12003@...>
          wrote:

          > My Mom has a seriously high level at 358 and cant seem to keep a good
          > diet what is the best way to lower her Cholesterol . Very concerned
          > about her health and would like to offer her suggestions if
          possible .
          > I know ginger helps but that s ll I am aware of . Thanks for sharing
          if
          > you have any advice Suzy

        • Jenny Kernan
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2007
            You're correct in this one. We have to have fat in
            order to burn fat. Butter is a natural fat, coconut
            oil, sesame oil, oilve oil are all natural fats. When
            you have to add something to make it change it's
            structure...like you do with margarine you are
            insulting the body and the body will eventually rebel.

            Jenny Kernan

          • Mary Hugs Nkisses
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 10, 2007
              She needs to incorporate any or all: oatmeal, beans, apples, flax oil
              capsules (read directions on label), turmeric, guggul capsules.
              wrote:

              > My Mom has a seriously high level at 358 and cant seem to keep a good
              > diet what is the best way to lower her Cholesterol . Very concerned
              > about her health and would like to offer her suggestions if
              possible .
              > I know ginger helps but that s ll I am aware of . Thanks for sharing
              if
              > you have any advice Suzy

            • shainaestrada
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 10, 2007
                I've read in a book that cholesterol isn't bad at all. One only needs
                an adequate balance in his lifestyle. One of the best alternative is
                still to exercise at least 15mmins a day. Try jogging or cycling,
                hiking or any activity that will make her sweat. This is also good for
                her heart. She also must consider eating fibrous fruits and veggies
                which help swipe out excess cholesterol in her body. Citrus fruits are
                good example.
              • Mary Hugs Nkisses
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 11, 2007
                  PS: Heating the butter or oil to frying temperatures changes its
                  structure. Nobody seems to address that.
                  --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, Jenny Kernan
                  <rainysnana@...> wrote:

                  > You're correct in this one. We have to have fat in
                  > order to burn fat. Butter is a natural fat, coconut
                  > oil, sesame oil, oilve oil are all natural fats. When
                  > you have to add something to make it change it's
                  > structure...like you do with margarine you are
                  > insulting the body and the body will eventually rebel.
                  >
                  > Jenny Kernan

                • kismetsmine
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 12, 2007
                    These are excerps from the book Nourishing Traditions;
                    "High serum cholesterol leverls often indicate that the body needs
                    cholesterol to protect itself from high levels of altered, free-
                    radical-containing fats. Just as a large police forceJust as a large
                    police force is needed in a locality were crime occurs frequently,
                    so cholesterol is needed in a poorly nourished body to protect the
                    individual from a tendency to heart disease and cancer. Blaming
                    coronary heart disease on cholesterol is like blaming the police for
                    murder and theft in a high crime area."

                    My husband's mother is 92 and healthy as horse be but recently her
                    doctor has begun his required spiel about high-cholesterol so we
                    researched it and found that especially in older women cholesterol
                    SHOULD be high. Stupid that doctors have their noses tied to the
                    drug companies behinds that way! The drug he wanted to give her was
                    FAR worse than her cholesterol which has always been high. I think a
                    healthy 92 year old is a testament to the bogus cholesterol theory
                    the Big Pharm has kept touting like a barker at a county fair. Makes
                    my blood boil. Why would you suddenly tell a woman who is so healthy
                    to change at this time of life? It is almost as if they want to kill
                    them off!

                    Another thing, fats do change when heated higher than 350F but you
                    don't have to pan fry at such a high temp. I use organic virgin
                    coconut oil in most everything that I don't use butter or lard for
                    and also pan fry with it. Ghee which is essentially clarified butter
                    is gently boiled until all of the moisture is gone from it and it is
                    a super healthy fat.
                  • Earl Engelhardt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 12, 2007
                      FYI

                      My experience is that cinnamon works.
                      I read the research.

                      earl (I'm new here so you may have covered this)

                      Look at

                      http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA346983

                      Q Cinnamon for Cholesterol, Blood Sugar Control?
                      I have been reading that several studies have shown that a daily dose
                      of cinnamon may delay the onset of type 2 diabetes and help regulate
                      blood sugar levels of existing type 2 diabetics. I've also heard that
                      taking a half-teaspoon of cinnamon a day can help to lower
                      cholesterol.
                      A Answer (Published 11/30/2004)

                      Some recent research does suggest that cinnamon may have a beneficial
                      effect on blood sugar and may also help lower cholesterol, but the
                      study in question was small and its findings need to be confirmed
                      before we can start recommending cinnamon to patients.

                      Related Weil Products
                      Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging for Diabetics - An anti-inflammatory diet
                      can help promote healthy blood sugar levels - especially important
                      for diabetics. Sign up for your free trial of Dr. Weil on Healthy
                      Aging for anti-inflammatory diet recipes, eating guides, shopping
                      lists and more.
                      The news about cinnamon's effect on blood sugar and cholesterol came
                      from a small study in Pakistan. Results were published in the
                      December 2003 issue of Diabetes Care. The study ran for only 40 days
                      and included 60 patients with type 2 diabetes. It showed that one,
                      three or six grams of cinnamon daily, divided into two doses (that
                      amounts to between a quarter of a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon a day),
                      lowered fasting glucose by 18 to 29 percent, triglycerides by 23 to
                      30 percent, LDL cholesterol by 7 to 27 percent, and total cholesterol
                      by 12 to 26 percent.

                      Cinnamon's effect on blood sugar is believed to be due to a
                      proanthocyanidin, an active ingredient that increases sensitivity of
                      receptors to insulin.

                      A word of caution: cinnamon in large doses may be toxic, so don't
                      assume that if the relatively small amounts used in the study help,
                      larger amounts will work better. There's also the possibility that
                      adding cinnamon to your diet will change the dose of medication you
                      need, so you should monitor your blood sugar carefully.

                      As for cholesterol control, the effects seen in the Pakistani study
                      don't equal those of better-studied statin drugs. So if your
                      cholesterol is high and you're taking a statin, don't assume that you
                      can substitute cinnamon. The results of the Pakistani study are very
                      interesting, but we need to know more. In the meantime, there's no
                      harm in sprinkling cinnamon on your oatmeal or using it in cooking.

                      Andrew Weil, M.D.
                    • Donald Moody
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 13, 2007
                        Dear Kismetsmine,
                        You are absolutly right, if you research homosystine you will find
                        the real culpret of heart failure and strokes; this is what I read.
                        Kind regards, Don Moody nasalbone.
                      • Vik
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 29, 2011
                          Hi,
                          Was taking Aztor 10 mg since November 2010. Reduced weight by 14 kilos, still weigh 100 kilos. Have a healthy life style except chew tobacco. Been taking Aztor 5 mg past 6 months or so. Now want to stop. Please advise
                          Vik
                        • olympia dreszer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 29, 2011
                            I would recommend talking to your MD and maybe looking for a naturopathic practitioner in your area. You can find these on healthprofs.com.

                            Olympia Dreszer  odreszer@...

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 31, 2011
                              Thanks a lot
                              Vik

                              I would recommend talking to your MD and maybe looking for a naturopathic practitioner in your area. You can find these on healthprofs.com.

                              Olympia Dreszer  odreszer@...

                              Was taking Aztor 10 mg since November 2010. Reduced weight by 14 kilos, still weigh 100 kilos. Have a healthy life style except chew tobacco. Been taking Aztor 5 mg past 6 months or so. Now want to stop. Please advise

                              Vik

                            • buffyangelstars
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 24, 2013
                                For some reason the web links were cut off. Resending links.

                                About Cholesterol: _http://www.drsinatra.com/cholesterol-definition_
                                (http://www.drsinatra.com/cholesterol-definition)

                                Best Diet: _http://www.drsinatra.com/cholesterol-diet-main_
                                (http://www.drsinatra.com/cholesterol-diet-main)