Chronic Constipation

  • Semb2775
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 31, 2006
      A patient suffering from constipation usually would visit the toilet
      after 2 to 3 days. The stools are invariably viscous and malodorous.
      Other complains included gas in the stomach, lack of appetite, bad
      breath and a feeling of heaviness in the head.

      It is important to have fibrous materials and roughage in the diet. It
      is good to drink a glass of warm water with lemon juice every morning.
      It helps if he/she visit the toilet regularly at a fixed time, whether
      urge or no urge and also take a hip-bath in a tub everyday.

      Rgds
      http://99health.blogspot.com/
      Stay healthy, be happy!
    • aryan_lover4gals
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
        --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, "Semb2775" <semb2775@...>
        wrote:

        > A patient suffering from constipation usually would visit the
        toilet
        > after 2 to 3 days. The stools are invariably viscous and
        malodorous.
        > Other complains included gas in the stomach, lack of appetite, bad
        > breath and a feeling of heaviness in the head.
        >
        > It is important to have fibrous materials and roughage in the
        diet. It
        > is good to drink a glass of warm water with lemon juice every
        morning.
        > It helps if he/she visit the toilet regularly at a fixed time,
        whether
        > urge or no urge and also take a hip-bath in a tub everyday.
        >
        > Rgds
        > http://99health.blogspot.com/
        > Stay healthy, be happy!
        >hi,
        its wrong to drink hot water with lemon juice becoz it cause
        weight loss. i think u should use saline chatardics, or some methyl
        cellulose, and fiber containing food and drink water excicevely and
        most important sleep properly.
        ok,
        bye
        wishing u good health
      • Steve Wider
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
          Eat a lot of Vegetables and/ or drink V-8 and your problem should go
          away. Or if it's more severe, do a colon cleansing. But if your diet
          don't change, it will come BACK!

          --
          Steve Wider
          Back Home Again

        • heather anderson
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
            my daughter has chronic constipation, she is 7 years old..any idea what to give her?

          • DB
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
              Have you tried prunes or prune juice. Maybe give her more veggies.

              heather anderson <handerson4388@...> wrote: my daughter has chronic constipation, she is 7 years old..any idea what to give her?

            • Sharon
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                Our family uses In-Liven and none of has bowel problems anymore.
                You don't say what kind of food she's eating but some common
                constipating foods are anything like processed white flour (baked
                stuff like white bread, cookies, cake, pasta), pork and possibly
                other meats, chocolate (will have opposite effect on some people),
                dairy (again may cause diarhea in some), possibly potatoes. These
                are just a few.

                Typically, she needs high fiber foods like brown rice (I find short
                grain is tastier and even kids like it), vegetables (try raw ones
                for snacks and salads with leafy greens), fresh fruit for breakfast
                (all kids love fresh fruit salad), almonds for snacks (tell her to
                chew them well, till they are soft and mushy). She needs to chew
                everything well so that more enzymes are created which will aid
                digestion. Bacteria such as found in In-Liven will create enzymes
                as well. Most people are completely out of balance with their
                bacteria.

                Supplement with cod liver oil (use Carlson's brand to avoid mercury)
                if possible or if she refuses that, try some other balanced oil like
                hemp. You may want to try using coconut oil for cooking or add it
                into some mashed foods like sweet potato. If anyone else has
                coconut oil tips or recipes please post!

                And lastly, drink lots of water! Not milk, not juice (unless fresh
                pressed) but pure filtered water. If she hates water, just start
                slow and perhaps flavor with some lemon or lime or mix half and half
                with juice for a while or use bubbly mineral water like Perrier
                mixed with juice. It may take a while for her to get used to not
                having something sweet if she's a juice drinker.

                As well, explain to her that vegetables act like a brush to clean
                out bowels and water will keep her insides clean and not smelly.
                The poop needs to be washed out and without enough water, it gets
                stuck.

                My daughter had chronic pain in her stomach and bowels for years and
                In-Liven got rid of her pain in less than two days and she started
                having normal bowel movements. For a brochure and info just email
                me or check my website for limited info and ingredients. Now she
                will eat as I've described above but it was sure a challenge when
                she was younger.

                All the best to you both!

                Sharon Hoehner
                www.goodskinforlife.com

                --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, heather anderson
                <handerson4388@...> wrote:

                > my daughter has chronic constipation, she is 7 years old..any idea
                what to give her?

              • Jenny Kernan
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                  More fiber and water, less fruit juice. The pectin in
                  fruit juices can back a child up very fast. Replacing
                  white bread and grains with whole grains...etc Juice
                  is concentrated so give whole fruit instead. Fresh
                  vegetables instead of canned or processed. Brown rice
                  instead of white..that kind of thing makes a
                  difference in anyone's diet. Less cheese or dairy.
                  Cheese is a big one when it comes to constipation in
                  kids and adults.

                  Jenny Kernan

                  Quantum Biofeedback Therapy
                  Remote Healing or Local Sessions
                  www.quantumassociatesofutah.com
                • Ieneke van Houten
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                    Heather Anderson wrote:

                    my daughter has chronic constipation,
                    she is 7 years old..any idea what to give her?

                    Heather, always look to FOOD first.
                    We don't call herbs, vitamins etc.
                    supplements for nothing.

                    Were you not the one who said she was
                    "a microwave Mom"? (my apologies if
                    that was someone else)
                    Have you had a chance to look at
                    "Saving Dinner" yet?

                    What is she eating? Food, or stuff out
                    of boxes and packages?
                    Is she getting her apple a day?
                    They really do help to keep the doctor
                    away. Prunes and Prune juice, definitely.

                    Is she sensitive to store-bought dairy?
                    Cheese can really plug a child up, especially
                    the over-processed junk that is marketed
                    to kids as fun stuff.

                    PRObiotics can be totally helpful.
                    Even a small daily amount of plain yoghurt,
                    as long as it is alive, can do the trick.
                    If you give a child only one dairy
                    product, let it be yogurt.
                    Buy the plain, NOT the yummy fruit-flavored
                    candy type.
                    You can always stir in a bit of honey, or
                    add a few drops of liquid Stevia extract and
                    some fruit if they won't eat it plain.

                    I would love every parent, especially if
                    there is an ADHD child in the house, to
                    read this one book, based on the
                    Weston Price work:

                    "The Crazy Makers,
                    How the Food industry is damaging our
                    brains and harming our children"
                    by
                    Carol Simontacchi.

                    It makes me want to tear my hair out.
                    Our kids are facing an environment
                    more challenging in terms of toxins,
                    radiation etc. They need all the good food
                    they can get. And yet more than half the
                    aisles in the gorcery store are packed
                    with stuff in boxes and cans.

                    Our local supermarket has one small
                    section labeled: "Natural Food".
                    Makes you wonder what they sell
                    in the rest of the store!

                    Ien in the Kootenays

                    Wild whole foods do the trick for
                    our ADD
                    http://wildwholefoods.net

                  • heather anderson

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                        <handerson4388@...> wrote:

                        > my daughter has chronic constipation, she is 7 years old..any idea
                        what to give her?

                        Acidophilus will do wonders. You can find a version at health food
                        stores specifically made for kids. My daughter almost thinks she is
                        getting a treat everytime she gets an acidophilus pill. Make sure to
                        take care of it quick-this can become a chronic problem. Obviously
                        though, it would also help to change her diet to have more fiber and
                        greens and less binding foods like milk and cheese. I personally use
                        magnesium because of many benefits, but it has also helped with
                        constipation, although I don't know about a 7 year old how much she
                        could take.
                        Whitney
                      • Margi Crook
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                          I have three daughters who are in their late forties. When they were
                          babies,
                          the doctor advised me to give them cod liver oil as a supplement. We
                          also used
                          to dilute rose hip syrup to give them extra vitamin C between feedings .
                          I guess the old ways were best after all.
                          Margi

                        • Caroline
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                            I second the In-Liven its fantastic. I had huge issues from 2yrs of
                            age with constipation. When I was older and discovered Kinesiology
                            I had a lot of healing with it, but still had a few issues (I think
                            mainly the food I was eating) I started on the In-Liven almost
                            12mths ago and apart from the monthly hormone upset (something else
                            I need to work on) I am constipation free!!!!! and after taking the
                            In-Liven for about 4-6 weeks you will find you crave only really
                            healthy foods.

                            Regards
                            Caroline
                            http://alwaysnaturallygreat.com

                            --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon" <hotmocha@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Our family uses In-Liven and none of has bowel problems anymore.
                            > You don't say what kind of food she's eating but some common
                            > constipating foods are anything like processed white flour (baked
                            > stuff like white bread, cookies, cake, pasta), pork and possibly
                            > other meats, chocolate (will have opposite effect on some people),
                            > dairy (again may cause diarhea in some), possibly potatoes. These
                            > are just a few.
                            >
                            > Typically, she needs high fiber foods like brown rice (I find
                            short
                            > grain is tastier and even kids like it), vegetables (try raw ones
                            > for snacks and salads with leafy greens), fresh fruit for
                            breakfast
                            > (all kids love fresh fruit salad), almonds for snacks (tell her to
                            > chew them well, till they are soft and mushy). She needs to chew
                            > everything well so that more enzymes are created which will aid
                            > digestion. Bacteria such as found in In-Liven will create enzymes
                            > as well. Most people are completely out of balance with their
                            > bacteria.
                            >
                            > Supplement with cod liver oil (use Carlson's brand to avoid
                            mercury)
                            > if possible or if she refuses that, try some other balanced oil
                            like
                            > hemp. You may want to try using coconut oil for cooking or add it
                            > into some mashed foods like sweet potato. If anyone else has
                            > coconut oil tips or recipes please post!
                            >
                            > And lastly, drink lots of water! Not milk, not juice (unless
                            fresh
                            > pressed) but pure filtered water. If she hates water, just start
                            > slow and perhaps flavor with some lemon or lime or mix half and
                            half
                            > with juice for a while or use bubbly mineral water like Perrier
                            > mixed with juice. It may take a while for her to get used to not
                            > having something sweet if she's a juice drinker.
                            >
                            > As well, explain to her that vegetables act like a brush to clean
                            > out bowels and water will keep her insides clean and not smelly.
                            > The poop needs to be washed out and without enough water, it gets
                            > stuck.
                            >
                            > My daughter had chronic pain in her stomach and bowels for years
                            and
                            > In-Liven got rid of her pain in less than two days and she started
                            > having normal bowel movements. For a brochure and info just email
                            > me or check my website for limited info and ingredients. Now she
                            > will eat as I've described above but it was sure a challenge when
                            > she was younger.
                            >
                            > All the best to you both!
                            >
                            > Sharon Hoehner
                            > www.goodskinforlife.com
                            >

                            > --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, heather anderson
                            > <handerson4388@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > my daughter has chronic constipation, she is 7 years old..any
                            idea
                            > what to give her?

                          • DB
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                              This In-Liven you talk about, where can you purchase it and is it good for other things besides the constipation. Sounds worth trying. Thanks!

                              wrote:

                              > Our family uses In-Liven and none of has bowel problems anymore.
                              > You don't say what kind of food she's eating but some common
                              > constipating foods are anything like processed white flour (baked
                              > stuff like white bread, cookies, cake, pasta), pork and possibly
                              > other meats, chocolate (will have opposite effect on some people),
                              > dairy (again may cause diarhea in some), possibly potatoes. These
                              > are just a few.
                              >
                              > Typically, she needs high fiber foods like brown rice (I find
                              short
                              > grain is tastier and even kids like it), vegetables (try raw ones
                              > for snacks and salads with leafy greens), fresh fruit for
                              breakfast
                              > (all kids love fresh fruit salad), almonds for snacks (tell her to
                              > chew them well, till they are soft and mushy). She needs to chew
                              > everything well so that more enzymes are created which will aid
                              > digestion. Bacteria such as found in In-Liven will create enzymes
                              > as well. Most people are completely out of balance with their
                              > bacteria.
                              >
                              > Supplement with cod liver oil (use Carlson's brand to avoid
                              mercury)
                              > if possible or if she refuses that, try some other balanced oil
                              like
                              > hemp. You may want to try using coconut oil for cooking or add it
                              > into some mashed foods like sweet potato. If anyone else has
                              > coconut oil tips or recipes please post!
                              >
                              > And lastly, drink lots of water! Not milk, not juice (unless
                              fresh
                              > pressed) but pure filtered water. If she hates water, just start
                              > slow and perhaps flavor with some lemon or lime or mix half and
                              half
                              > with juice for a while or use bubbly mineral water like Perrier
                              > mixed with juice. It may take a while for her to get used to not
                              > having something sweet if she's a juice drinker.
                              >
                              > As well, explain to her that vegetables act like a brush to clean
                              > out bowels and water will keep her insides clean and not smelly.
                              > The poop needs to be washed out and without enough water, it gets
                              > stuck.
                              >
                              > My daughter had chronic pain in her stomach and bowels for years
                              and
                              > In-Liven got rid of her pain in less than two days and she started
                              > having normal bowel movements. For a brochure and info just email
                              > me or check my website for limited info and ingredients. Now she
                              > will eat as I've described above but it was sure a challenge when
                              > she was younger.
                              >
                              > All the best to you both!
                              >
                              > Sharon Hoehner
                              > www.goodskinforlife.com
                              >

                              > --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, heather anderson
                              > <handerson4388@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > my daughter has chronic constipation, she is 7 years old..any
                              idea
                              > what to give her?

                            • heather anderson

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                                  thanks for your feedback..he gets lots of veggies..but he won't tolerate the prunes or pj.

                                  DB <solema97@...> wrote: Have you tried prunes or prune juice. Maybe give her more veggies.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                                      Sharon and Margi..

                                      thanks for your emails and vast information..these sound like great solutions.. I will put them to use :)

                                      Sharon wrote:

                                      > Our family uses In-Liven and none of has bowel problems anymore.
                                      > You don't say what kind of food she's eating but some common
                                      > constipating foods are anything like processed white flour (baked
                                      > stuff like white bread, cookies, cake, pasta), pork and possibly
                                      > other meats, chocolate (will have opposite effect on some people),
                                      > dairy (again may cause diarhea in some), possibly potatoes. These
                                      > are just a few.
                                      >
                                      > Typically, she needs high fiber foods like brown rice (I find short
                                      > grain is tastier and even kids like it), vegetables (try raw ones
                                      > for snacks and salads with leafy greens), fresh fruit for breakfast
                                      > (all kids love fresh fruit salad), almonds for snacks (tell her to
                                      > chew them well, till they are soft and mushy). She needs to chew
                                      > everything well so that more enzymes are created which will aid
                                      > digestion. Bacteria such as found in In-Liven will create enzymes
                                      > as well. Most people are completely out of balance with their
                                      > bacteria.
                                      >
                                      > Supplement with cod liver oil (use Carlson's brand to avoid mercury)
                                      > if possible or if she refuses that, try some other balanced oil like
                                      > hemp. You may want to try using coconut oil for cooking or add it
                                      > into some mashed foods like sweet potato. If anyone else has
                                      > coconut oil tips or recipes please post!
                                      >
                                      > And lastly, drink lots of water! Not milk, not juice (unless fresh
                                      > pressed) but pure filtered water. If she hates water, just start
                                      > slow and perhaps flavor with some lemon or lime or mix half and half
                                      > with juice for a while or use bubbly mineral water like Perrier
                                      > mixed with juice. It may take a while for her to get used to not
                                      > having something sweet if she's a juice drinker.
                                      >
                                      > As well, explain to her that vegetables act like a brush to clean
                                      > out bowels and water will keep her insides clean and not smelly.
                                      > The poop needs to be washed out and without enough water, it gets
                                      > stuck.
                                      >
                                      > My daughter had chronic pain in her stomach and bowels for years and
                                      > In-Liven got rid of her pain in less than two days and she started
                                      > having normal bowel movements. For a brochure and info just email
                                      > me or check my website for limited info and ingredients. Now she
                                      > will eat as I've described above but it was sure a challenge when
                                      > she was younger.
                                      >
                                      > All the best to you both!
                                      >
                                      > Sharon Hoehner
                                      > www.goodskinforlife.com
                                      >
                                      > --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com
                                      > <mailto:AlternativeAnswers%40yahoogroups.com>, heather anderson
                                      > <handerson4388@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > my daughter has chronic constipation, she is 7 years old..any idea
                                      > what to give her?

                                    • Jenny Kernan
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                                        One way to increase water intake in kids is to make it
                                        taste better. Use of Lime or lemon in the water often
                                        will improve the taste and give needed nutrients at
                                        the same time. Water down the juices. If water is what
                                        is available, he will start to drink it. Cut the milk
                                        way down and only offer it at meals, not in between.
                                        No Koolaid or pop!

                                        My oldest son drank juice like crazy, would get
                                        constipated and then get fissures in his rectum from
                                        the straining. I watered down the juice and gave him
                                        more water. This is the same son who would get up and
                                        down from the table a million times and pick at his
                                        food. I started to take his plate away and put it up.
                                        Pretty soon he got hungry enough to stay put and eat
                                        it in a sitting.

                                        Fruits are simple...an apple a day, an orange, banana
                                        etc...offer them instead of other sugared snacks or
                                        breads. Carrot sticks, celery sticks with peanut
                                        butter and raisins, My kids like cabbage cut up or
                                        turnips sliced up ALL RAW!

                                        One thing a pediatrician told me when my kids were
                                        babies....start them on veggies before you start
                                        fruits. You won't have a problem with eating veggies
                                        if you do that. And wait til last to add the sweet
                                        veggies. Once babies get accustomed to sweet, they
                                        won't eat the others. I did what he said and I don't
                                        have picky eaters for kids. They eat all sorts of
                                        veggies that most kids and adults won't touch. I can
                                        take them out to eat at a Buffet for example and most
                                        of their plates will be filled with veggies and
                                        fruits!

                                        Good Luck

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                                          I did exactly that with my 3 children - they used to drink juice
                                          then I started watering it down - did it in stages 1/4 water to 3/4
                                          juice so they didn't really notice it!!! Now they mainly ask for
                                          water and if they do ask for juice it's just over 3/4 water to less
                                          than 1/4 juice!!!! All Dairy products upset my daughters digestive
                                          system.

                                          --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, Jenny Kernan

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 4, 2007
                                              Leave a jug (1 litre) of water overnight and drink it the first thing
                                              in the morning (i.e. before brushing your teeth). That should be able
                                              to induced soft stool. Our family have used this technique. No harm
                                              trying.

                                              Good luck
                                              http://99health.blogspot.com/

                                              <handerson4388@...> wrote:

                                              > now you tell me.. where were you when they were lil babes lol acutaly
                                              my son is less picky then my daughter, but she is impossible.. if I'm
                                              lucky she will eat a apple..and salad but hardly any other veggies..
                                              she will eat the fruits though.

                                            • surya padma

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 26, 2010
                                                  About 20% of people with untreated celiac disease have chronic constipation instead of the classic symptom of diarrhea. As the rate of diagnosis improves, constipation is becoming recognized as a common symptom of celiac disease.

                                                  Constipation is a common problem in the general population of the United States. According to the National Institutes of Health, about 4 million people have frequent constipation. It is one of the most common digestive complaints in the United States, resulting in about 2.5 million doctor visits and 92,000 hospitalizations annually, although most people treat themselves. This high rate of constipation results in annual laxative sales of over $735 million in this country.

                                                  This article will discuss the following topics:

                                                  1. How to recognize constipation.

                                                  2. Natural remedies that have been shown to help constipation.

                                                  3. How to induce a bowel movement.

                                                  WHAT IS CONSTIPATION?

                                                  Constipation involves problems with stool formation, consistency, and evacuation. It is characterized by one or more of these features:

                                                  � Hard, dry stool or soft, putty-like stool.

                                                  � Difficult defecation.

                                                  � Infrequent defecation, less than one bowel movement per day.

                                                  � A feeling of incomplete evacuation following bowel movement.

                                                  Constipation can give rise to many different ailments including indigestion, a white coated tongue, bad breath, gas, hemorrhoids, hernia, body odor, depression, fatigue, headache, insomnia, and varicose veins.

                                                  The three main causes of constipation are abnormal bowel motility, malabsorption and dysbiosis. Each one, or all three together can cause constipation.

                                                  1. Abnormal bowel motility is altered peristalsis, where food passes through the intestine too slowly, due to ineffective muscle action of the intestines. It may take the form of spastic colon or atonic colon.

                                                  � Spastic colon is characterized by a spasms, (irregular and excessive muscle contractions of the intestinal walls), so that the muscles resist stretching and thereby decrease the diameter of the inside of the intestine. This restricts the passage of food.

                                                  Hard, dry stools are produced as the colon absorbs too much water from the slowly advancing stool. Spasms can result from magnesium deficiency, chronic stress, lack of exercise, lack of water or lack of fiber in the diet.

                                                  Spastic constipation is associated with variable degrees of abdominal pain or distress, erratic frequency of bowel action, and variation in stool consistency.
                                                  � Atonic colon is characterized by atony, (low muscle activity of the intestinal wall). Atonic means there is a lack of normal intestinal muscle tone, or strength, so that the peristaltic contractions that normally pass food through the intestine do not work effectively. This delays passage through the intestine and the bowel wall stretches to accommodate the accumulated stool.

                                                  Stools are putty-like or too soft, and even though the rectum is full, the amount of stool evacuated can be insufficient. There is usually no urge to defecate and even with effort, the result is ineffective. Over time the capacity of the colon enlarges as it gets used to more and more stool.

                                                  Atonic constipation is associated with minimal or no abdominal discomfort. Weakness in muscle can result from riboflavin (vitamin B2) and/or thiamin (vitamin B1) deficiency, lack of fiber in the diet, lack of water or lack of exercise, ignoring the urge to defecate, nerve damage due to chronic use of laxatives, or aging.

                                                  2. Malabsorption is the inadequate absorption of one or more nutrients. The resulting deficiency deprives the bowel of nutrients needed for health and function. Deficiency of thiamin or riboflavin or magnesium contributes to constipation.

                                                  Thiamin and riboflavin are vitamins that are important in maintaining muscle tone along the lining of the digestive tract and promoting the health of the mouth.

                                                  Other digestive problems of thiamin deficiency are abdominal discomfort and anorexia.

                                                  Other digestive problems due to riboflavin deficiency are sore, swollen, magenta-colored tongue with changes to the papillae (atrophied or hypertrophied), and the development of cracks and sores at corners of mouth.

                                                  Magnesium is needed for muscles to relax, thus preventing spasms in the intestines.

                                                  Vitamin A is needed for mucous production and healthy cells.

                                                  3. Dysbiosis is an imbalance between the good and bad bacteria in the intestines characterized by altered health and function of the colon. It is estimated that at any one point in time, we have 100 trillion bacteria in our intestines. 35-50% of the contents of the human colon are bacteria and between one fourth and one third of stool is composed of dead bacteria.

                                                  Good bacteria nourish the wall of the colon and produce vitamins, short chain fatty acids and proteins. They also supplement digestion, protect the body from infection and stimulate the immune system.

                                                  Bad bacteria produce toxins that cause constipation, damage the lining of the intestine, leak into the body to cause a host of health problems.

                                                  Increasing the good bacteria is possible by make the intestines a more hospitable environment by eating fruit, veggies, milk and yogurt to balance the intake of meat and refined starches.

                                                  CORRECTING CONSTIPATION NATURALLY

                                                  A digestive tract, especially one damaged by gluten, needs special attentiveness and gentle care. Intestinal tissues must be soothed, protected and nourished with healing substances. Laxatives that irritate the lining, such as bisacodyl, senna, castor oil or cascara, must not be used.

                                                  Steps for Correcting Constipation

                                                  1. Keep a diary. Note food intake and elimination for both urine and stool until you achieve healthy defecation. The idea is to be able to compare what�s going in, what�s going out, and what�s happening in your life to make coordinated healthful changes.

                                                  2. Build healthy eating habits.

                                                  � Increase whole food plant sources rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, including fresh fruits and vegetables, beans and peas, whole grains like brown rice and ground corn, rice bran, seeds especially flax, and nuts.

                                                  � Limit refined starches and sugar which acidify the intestine.

                                                  � Eat 20 to 25 gm of fiber each day to tone gut muscle and regulate muscle activity and fluid absorption. The bulk and soft texture of fiber are proven to prevent both hard, dry stools and soft, pasty stools that are difficult to pass. The residue of fiber also encourages movement through the intestine to keep stool from fermenting. Fiber can be soluble and insoluble.

                                                  a. Insoluble fiber is the part of fruits, vegetables and grains that the body cannot digest thereby passing almost unchanged from the small intestine onto the large intestine.

                                                  b. Soluble fiber dissolves easily in water and takes on a soft, gellike texture in the intestines.

                                                  � Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses a day of water and juice. If this amount of fluid intake does not relieve constipation, but instead gets passed out through the urine, then you need more fiber to hold the water in the colon.

                                                  � Coffee stimulates the colon in 29% or more of people within 4 minutes of ingestion and lasts for thirty minutes, so enjoy coffee before the movement rather than indiscriminately throughout the day. Tea is constipating.

                                                  3. Establish regular times for bowel movements so that enough stool is ready to evacuate. Some people move better in the morning, others at night. Find when is best for you.

                                                  4. Do not hurry defecation, so that all stool that is ready is actually evacuated.

                                                  5. Do not eat when under the influence of strong emotions to prevent spasms and gas.

                                                  6. Build healthy exercise habits. Regular, daily exercise helps maintain bowel function.

                                                  7. Abdominal massage can be very helpful. Work from the lower right side massaging upwards to below the ribs then across to the left side and down. This follows the path of the colon.

                                                  8. Build relaxation habits. Stress is a part of life. Learn ways to better deal with it.

                                                  INDUCING NORMAL BOWEL MOVEMENTS

                                                  1. Carminatives tone muscle and improve peristalsis, and thus aid in the expulsion of gas from the stomach and intestine to relieve digestive colic and gastric discomfort.

                                                  2. Laxatives are foods or medicines that loosen the bowel. Some work by stimulating peristalsis. Others pull fluid into the bowel. Still others work by increasing the bulk of the stool.

                                                  The following foods and herbs can be used to correct or prevent constipation.

                                                  1. Atonic constipation can be helped by the following foods and herbs:

                                                  a. Foods:

                                                  Raspberry, celery and lemon are carminatives.

                                                  Horseradish is a carminative and also a digestive stimulant in small amounts.

                                                  Carrot is a carminative and also a cleansing digestive tonic.

                                                  Grape is a carminative, bile stimulating and cleansing remedy for sluggish digestion and laxative.

                                                  Rice bran acts as a laxative with 8 grams fiber in � cup. Use as cereal or in cooking.

                                                  Asparagus acts as a laxative and is also a liver stimulant.

                                                  Figs are laxative and counter habitual constipation.

                                                  Pear (ripe) is an excellent laxative and cleansing tonic.

                                                  Strawberry is laxative and also a liver tonic.

                                                  Onions a n d Garlic stimulate and improve digestion and also cleanse the gastrointestinal tract to help maintain healthy gut bacteria, prevent fermentation and tone the intestine.

                                                  Pineapple juice before eating can help stimulate a sluggish digestion. It is cleansing and nutritious, rich in minerals.

                                                  Redbeets stimulate and improve digestion and are easily digested.

                                                  Cabbage stimulates and improves digestion and is also a liver decongestant.

                                                  Coffee stimulates and improves digestion and also increases gastrointestinal activity in many people.

                                                  Artichoke stimulates and improves digestion and is also a laxative, bile stimulant and liver tonic.

                                                  Lettuce stimulates and improves digestion and is also an alterative, meaning it improves the function of organs involved with the digestion and excretion of waste products to bring about a gradual change. It is a cleansing, mild laxative, and useful for menstrual pains.

                                                  Tomato stimulates and improves digestion, is a mild laxative and stimulates the pancreas. The juice can be used as an aperitif.

                                                  Apple (ripe) stimulates and improves digestion and is also a liver stimulant and laxative.

                                                  b. Herbs:

                                                  Sage is a carminative, digestive, astringent, bile stimulant and energy tonic that heals the mucosa. It contains powerful antioxidants and is rich in estrogen to encourage menstrual flow. Drink as tea or use in cooking.

                                                  Thyme is a soothing remedy useful for stimulating digestion of rich, fatty foods.

                                                  Pot Marigold (calendula) is useful as a bitter to stimulate bile production and improve digestion. It is especially helpful during irregular and painful menstruation associated with constipation.

                                                  Tumeric is also a liver tonic.

                                                  2. Spastic constipation can be helped by the remedies listed above and below.

                                                  a. Foods:

                                                  Flax seed meal swells and produces bulk. It has 2 gm of fiber/ tbsp and contains 1300mg of Omega 3-oil. It is valued for its demulcent effects (softens stool and soothes damaged or inflamed mucous membranes) to calm irritable bowel. Add to cereal and use in cooking or simply mix into a glass of water and drink.

                                                  Nutmeg is a carminative useful for abdominal bloating, indigestion and colic.

                                                  Parsley is a carminative remedy for colic, gas and indigestion.

                                                  Potatoes are a carminative, antispasmodic (due to atropine like properties) and liver remedy.

                                                  Cinnamon is a carminative and is antispasmodic.

                                                  Cloves are carminative and antispasmodic.

                                                  Dandelion is a carminative, a digestive and liver tonic, bile stimulant, and mild laxative.

                                                  Olives, Olive oil (1 ounce) is laxative.

                                                  Apricots (dried) are laxative and also immune stimulant.

                                                  Almonds are laxative, restorative and intestinal antiseptic.

                                                  Pear (ripe) is laxative and also cleansing digestive tonic. The juice can be used as an aperitif.

                                                  b. Herbs:

                                                  Chamomile, lemon balm, and fennel, (as a tea), are carminatives and also help relieve nervous tension.

                                                  Mint such as peppermint, spearmint, or hyssop, (as a tea), are carminatives and also improve digestion.

                                                  Rosemary as a tea and in cooking is a carminative and also is a nervous system tonic for stress and fatigue, bile stimulant, and can relieve headaches and indigestion.

                                                  Primrose oil available in the form of capsules improves stool consistency.

                                                  Physilium powder swells and produces a gel, which increases the bulk and softness of the stool.

                                                  c. Other:

                                                  Wine before dinner (aperitifs) or cordial liquors or brandy in hot water taken after dinner (degustives) are helpful.

                                                  ������-
                                                  Author Information: Cleo Libonati, RN, BSN, Philadelphia, PA/Englewood, FL
                                                  Cleo Libonati is president/CEO and co-Founder of Gluten Free Works, Inc. www.glutenfreeworks.com. She is the author of Recognizing Celiac Disease. www.recognizingceliacdisease.com. She can be reached at cleo.libonati@....
                                                • europanz
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 30, 2010
                                                    I got rid of constipation by having four glasses of water every morning after I got up. It works in less than a week.
                                                    --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, "John Libonati" <john.libonati@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                    >
                                                    > Rosemary as a tea and in cooking is a carminative and also is a nervous system tonic for stress and fatigue, bile stimulant, and can relieve headaches and indigestion.
                                                    >
                                                    > Primrose oil available in the form of capsules improves stool consistency.
                                                    >
                                                    > Physilium powder swells and produces a gel, which increases the bulk and softness of the stool.
                                                    >
                                                    > c. Other:
                                                    >
                                                    > Wine before dinner (aperitifs) or cordial liquors or brandy in hot water taken after dinner (degustives) are helpful.
                                                    >
                                                    > ——————-
                                                    > Author Information: Cleo Libonati, RN, BSN, Philadelphia, PA/Englewood, FL
                                                    > Cleo Libonati is president/CEO and co-Founder of Gluten Free Works, Inc. www.glutenfreeworks.com. She is the author of Recognizing Celiac Disease. www.recognizingceliacdisease.com. She can be reached at cleo.libonati@...

                                                  • Bec Reid
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 31, 2010
                                                      Increasing your water intake as well as making sure your getting enough magnesium is the best way to go. I've been doing this for 3 weeks and it has been great! :)

                                                      Sent from my iPhone
                                                    • david kenna
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 31, 2010
                                                        Bowel MovementsAre broadly of three types, hard as in constipation, runny as in diarrhea. or soft as in normal.So for a simple to use method to go from hard to soft try one teaspoon of magnesium sulfate in a glass of water.Some people will need a second glass later on some will need less. Experiment withwhat's good for you.It may give you a lot of gas, maybe temporary headaches to begin with but persevere tillyou find the right level. Whats important about soft is the stool does not tear the delicate lining of the rectumwhich gives rise to bleeding piles. Another curse that many people suffer from.Of course a better diet natural foods and exercise...the way to go....David

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Nov 1 6:58 AM
                                                          Excellent! Adequate hydration is crucial to proper digestive functioning as you see in the article below.
                                                          Of course, everyone is different, so if you are drinking enough water, then the other steps in the article will help. The worst thing people do is take spasm-producing laxatives like senna that rely on irritating the gut to move things along. This only lead to further problems.

                                                          -John

> [...]
                                                          >
                                                          > Rosemary as a tea and in cooking is a carminative and also is a nervous system tonic for stress and fatigue, bile stimulant, and can relieve headaches and indigestion.
                                                          >
                                                          > Primrose oil available in the form of capsules improves stool consistency.
                                                          >
                                                          > Physilium powder swells and produces a gel, which increases the bulk and softness of the stool.
                                                          >
                                                          > c. Other:
                                                          >
                                                          > Wine before dinner (aperitifs) or cordial liquors or brandy in hot water taken after dinner (degustives) are helpful.
                                                          >
                                                          > -------
                                                          > Author Information: Cleo Libonati, RN, BSN, Philadelphia, PA/Englewood, FL
                                                          > Cleo Libonati is president/CEO and co-Founder of Gluten Free Works, Inc. www.glutenfreeworks.com. She is the author of Recognizing Celiac Disease. www.recognizingceliacdisease.com. She can be reached at cleo.libonati@...

                                                          John Libonati

                                                          GlutenFreeWorks.com
                                                          http://www.glutenfreeworks.com
                                                          Tel. 215-591-4565

                                                          "Recognizing Celiac Disease"
                                                          The Complete Guide to Recognizing, Diagnosing and Managing Celiac Disease
                                                          http://www.recognizingceliacdisease.com