46018Seasonal Healing and the Winter Solstice

  • yogiguruji
    Dec 22, 2015
      Good Morning!

      Seasonal Healing and the Winter Solstice

      In the northern hemisphere, the Winter solstice is the day of the
      year (this year it is December 21) when the Sun is farthest south.
      The winter solstice marks the first day of the winter season. The
      declination of the Sun on the (northern) winter solstice is known as
      the tropic of Capricorn (-23° 27').

      Winter is the time for rest and to replenish. As an expression in nature, The
      Winter Solstice is the time to reflect on the power of our spiritual beliefs and
      the belief in the power of ourselves! As we look forward to the beginning of a
      New Year, we look at ways to resolve issues and create resolutions that will
      manifest change for the better, in ourselves.

      Winter is the time to take a good look at our health and our
      lifestyle. Start by looking at the life around you. Are you living in
      chaos? Is your home in a shambles? Is there clutter everywhere? You
      may want to consider starting with a good packing and storing
      session. Feng Shui, the ancient art of placement, can help you to
      find order in your life.

      The temple, our physical bodies, are the only thing we have to carry
      the soul. When our physical bodies are not in proper working order,
      everything around us ultimately suffers. Our good health is all we
      have that stands between us and the aging process. The longer you
      keep your physical body in optimum health, the longer you have your
      temple to keep your soul on this plane. Detoxification is the best
      way to keep the body at its most ultimate working level.

      By enjoying a healthy, nutritional diet, getting good quality sleep
      and moderate exercise this can keep our physical form at it's best,
      always. Take the opportunities that are offered. Make the
      opportunities that are not. Find your priorities of life and give
      them merit. This is the best season to do this. This is the time when
      we have the greatest energy to utilize the power we are given!

      Celebrations of the Winter Solstice

      The Winter Solstice is the time of the longest night and the shortest
      day. As the darkness peaks the Solstice is a turning point. This is
      the point of the highest Yin (cooling) energy as the nights grow
      shorter and the days grow longer into Yang (warming) energy. The
      cycle of dark wanes as the power of the Sun waxes.

      Customs most associated with the Winter Solstice are festivals such
      as Chinese New Year, St Lucy's Day, Saturnalia, the birth of the
      Christ child, Hanukkah, New Years and the Twelfth Night. Stories all
      deriving from the conflict between dark and light.

      A Ritual of Light

      On the longest, darkest day of the year, a ritual of light is an ever present
      reminder of the conflict, struggle and duality (yin/yang) of our lives. Using
      candles as therapy has been around for thousands of years, and has been
      practiced by nearly every religion. Candle therapy can be used to unite the
      powers of mind, body, and spirit. From ancient times to the present, Candles
      have lit our way through every transition! From celebrations and ceremonies to
      proclamations and processions! The candle's flame has always been a metaphor for
      the soul! It possesses a tranquil and almost hypnotic atmosphere to those who
      allow its power to take them to a very special place.

      A candle acts as a "self object". A self object is an object that is a
      reflection of our self, a reflection upon which we can act. The candle reflects
      the spiritual and ethical changes we would like to bring about in ourselves. It
      burns as a reminder and symbol of our desires. Sometimes we have to hand our
      dreams over to a force more powerful than we are.

      Working With Candle Energy

      When working with candles, you can be as simplistic or as complicated as you
      would like to make it. I suggest that you always charge your candle before
      lighting it.

      Sit in a quiet place hold the candle in your hands at heart level and visualize
      the area in your life you want charged (changed). This will personalize your
      connections with the candle and allow the needed energy to come to you in a more
      direct way. Begin by using a positive affirmation based on your specific
      situation.

      You get as much out of a candle (or anything) as you put into it. You must
      create your own reality through the use of your energy, emotions and
      visualizations. What you wish to create may come immediately or it may take some
      time. Experience shows that results are only realized at the appropriate time
      (the Universal time, not your own)! This allows us a great lesson.

      1. Any time you light a candle, always state your true intention and end with a
      positive affirmation.

      2. Burn a candle based on the color you need.

      3. Use the seven colors of the Chakra and light these candles to release the
      color into the room. The rainbow colors have an amazing healing power when lit
      all together.

      4. Burn a candle for meditation. Sit in front of the candle and concentrate on
      the light.

      5. Burn a candle that is made from herbs and essential oils. The power of herbs
      and scent are blended with the power of light to manifest a positive action.

      6. Burn a candle to bring about clear change and affirmative thought. Transform
      your intentions into reality.

      7. Different geometric shapes will alter and enhance the effects of color and
      scent. It involves understanding what particular geometric patterns can do by
      using that particular layout around an individual to heal. Meditating within the
      center of these configurations (a circle, square, triangle, for example) can
      heighten the entire experience! Place candles in one of these sacred shapes.
      Place them on a table or alter to burn or place them on the floor or in your
      meditation space and sit inside the configuration. meditate on or within the
      geometric shape.

      Candles can create any mood based on color and good intention. Utilize the power
      of light and wax OR create your own special winter solstice ritual to usher in
      the change of the season and reflect what this means to you.

      Andrew Pacholyk, MS, L.Ac.
      http://www.peacefulmind.com/winter.htm
      Therapies for healing
      mind, body, spirit