Apocalyptic

  • polycarp66@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2003
      In your chapter on "Ideology and Apocalyptic" you state,

      Herein I shall use "apocalyptic" to designate a cluster of themes and
      expectations—cataclysmic signs and suffering, resurrection of the dead, universal
      judgment, heavenly redeemer figures, a divine utopia—which developed, typically in
      association with belief in a near end, in post-exilic Judaism. An "apocalyptic Jesus"
      would then be one who promoted and largely lived out of such themes and expectations.

      I have read a number of definitions of apocalyptic, and it seems that all come up somewhat short.  It seems to me that apocalyptic would consist in a dualistic system opposing God's elect to the rest of mankind in which the expectation is that God will somehow act in a manner to deal redemptively with his people (however defined).  Many focus on a number of features such as angeli interpretes and heavenly journeys which I would consider to be more in the realm of "window dressing".  I note that you include "redeemer figures" in your listing.  Would you consider this redemptive motif to be central to the theme of apocalyptic?  If so, is not the kerugma of the church at its basis apocalyptic regardless of what view the writers may have had as to the timing of the events themselves?

      gfsomsel

      George F. Somsel