Allison Seminar Opens Today at Noon CST

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2003
      Dear Allison Seminar Subscriber,

      The Allison Seminar opens today. That is to say, you may begin to send
      messages to Dale Allison anytime after 12 noon CST today (March 23rd).

      To remind you how the Seminar will be run, I've set its operative
      principles out in a question and answer
      format. If there's anything I haven't covered here, or if there are
      things that are still unclear, please contact me at the address listed
      below.

      *************

      1. When may members begin to submit questions?

      Seminar Members should feel free to begin sending their questions from
      12noon CST on Sunday, March 23rd, 2003,
      and anytime thereafter up until Friday, May 4th. But no questions will
      be forwarded to Professor Allison until the
      Seminar officially begins on Monday, March 24th.

      2. Where should questions be sent?

      All questions should be sent to the following address:

      Allison-Seminar@yahoogroups.com

      3. What types of questions are acceptable?

      Since the focus of the Seminar is theses and ideas set out in the drafts
      of three chapters to his forthcoming book on
      _Secularizing Jesus_ that Professor has shared with us, questions sent
      to the Seminar should center on what is set
      out there.

      4. Where may I get a copy of Professor Allison's chapters and other
      works?

      For the draft chapters, go to:

      For Professor Allison's published works, check your library. Otherwise,
      try one of the online book services such as

      http://www.bookfinder.com

      5. Any suggestions for the initial round of questions?

      Though it is not imperative that anyone do so, it might be interesting
      and profitable if the first round of postings focuses
      on the topic of Jesus and "apocalyptic".

      6. How many questions may anyone submit?

      As many as one likes.

      7. Will all posts submitted to the Seminar be submitted to Professor
      Allison?

      Unfortunately, the answer is no. We anticipate having well over 200
      subscribers, and if even only a quarter of the
      Seminar membership submitted only one question per day, Professor
      Allison would be overwhelmed with e-mails that,
      given his time constraints, he could not possibly read, let alone
      answer.

      8. Of all posts submitted to the Seminar moderators, how many posts WILL
      be submitted to Professor Allison on a
      daily basis?

      At Professor Allison's request (which is born more from his desire to be
      able to deal adequately with any question he
      receives than from anything else), the maximum daily number of posts
      that will be sent on to him for his consideration
      will be limited to four.

      9. What determines which four of all posts submitted on a given day will
      be selected for submission to Professor
      Allison?

      The short answer is: the judgment of the Seminar's moderators, Jeffrey
      Gibson and Robert Schacht.

      10. What criteria will the moderators use to determine which four of a
      daily batch of messages get sent on to
      Professor Allison?

      In general, we will be selecting posts on the basis of their

      a. Intelligibility
      b. Relevance (see above)
      c. Absence of grandstanding, self-promotion, confessional
      statements, ad hominem remarks,
      rehashing points made previously, etc.

      11. What if no posts are submitted on a given day?

      The moderators will then select the "best" questions from the
      anticipated backlog of posts to which they are privy.

      12. What happens when a poster feels that Professor Allison's answer to
      his/her post needs some follow up? Will this
      be disallowed?

      No. We want discussion to continue if it is warranted. So we will be
      open to allowing a poster to continue a thread
      he/she has begun, subject to our judgment that it is worthwhile doing
      so.

      13. What happens when members of the Seminar want to comment on, or
      raise questions about, or otherwise
      discuss another member's question to Professor Allison (or the points
      raised within it)?

      In the best of all possible worlds we would welcome postings of this
      sort being sent to the Seminar for all to see, thus
      having a given thread, originally set out between a Seminar member and
      Professor Allison, continued on the Allison
      Seminar List. But because the Allison Seminar is a Seminar between
      posters and Professor Allison, and not a forum
      for continued or extended discussion by Seminar members of these
      exchanges, we must prohibit such intramural
      postings on the Seminar itself.

      HOWEVER, nothing prevents Seminar Members from carrying out exchanges
      with one another on XTalk! Indeed,
      XTalk is exactly the place where such exchanges SHOULD occur. And we
      encourage Seminar members to do so
      there

      14. How do I subscribe to XTalk?

      Follow the instructions on subscribing that you'll find at the Xtalk
      Home Page at

      http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/

      or send a blank e-mail to:

      crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      15. How do I contact the Allison Seminar moderators?

      You may contact us through our personal e-mail addresses:

      jgibson000@...

      bobschacht@...

      or through

      Allison-Seminar-owner@yahoogroups.com

      I'm looking forward to a very interesting Seminar. I'm sure you are as
      well!

      Yours,

      Jeffrey Gibson
      ---