All Easy Cookin' Newsletter, May 5, 2004

  • alicias_kitchen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2004
      All Easy Cookin'
      http://www.free-greetingcards.co.uk

      Email Address for Replies and Requests
      Please send all email for replies and requests to
      nancyskitchen@...

      AOL Members
      If you are trying to access the links in this newsletter and they do
      not work, please go to the online archive of the newsletter at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nancys_kitchen/

      This newsletter will be sent out several times a week. For those
      wishing a quick answer to their messages please use our recipe
      message board. The message board is an excellent resource for
      recipes, tips and tricks for cooking and food related topics.
      http://whatscookin.proboards4.com

      Nature Flavors (They have a great line of Splenda and Low Carb
      products as well as many great teas ). They now have a chocolate
      syrup made with Stevia.
      http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info.php?ref=3
      <A HREF="http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info.php?
      ref=3">Naturesflavors.com</A>

      page
      http://www.nancys-kitchen.com

      Thought for the Day
      Problems are simply an opportunity to do your best

      Hi, Nancy! I hope that you and Siggy are getting nicely settled in
      your new home.

      A woman asked for an oatmeal-orange cookie recipe. The little boy
      who lives next door to me loves these cookies. If I offer him a
      choice of chocolate chip cookies or these, he always chooses the
      oatmeal ones, so I call them Colin cookies.

      ==

      Banana Orange Raisin Drops

      3/4 cup butter or margarine
      1 T. grated orange peel
      1cup sugar
      1 egg
      1 cup mashed banana, about 2 medium, fully ripe
      1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
      1 cup raisins
      1/2 cup chopped walnuts
      1 and 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
      1t. salt
      1/2 t. baking soda

      Cream together butter, orange peel and sugar; beat in egg. Mix in
      banana, oats, raisins and nuts. Sift together remaining ingredients;
      add to banana mixture and mix well. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto
      ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in 375-degree oven 10 to12 minutes or
      until golden brown. Remove cookies and cool on rack Makes about 3
      and 1/2 dozen.
      Dorothy

      It is a Mayonnaise base with I think soy sauce and ginger. It was
      served at the Neiman Marcus greenhouse spa. I would love to have the
      recipe. It was so good. Thanks for your help.
      Marlene

      Dear Nancy,
      I have lost my recipe for sweet onion and teriyaki sauce from
      Subway. In
      addition, I am wondering if anybody has the recipe for the honey
      mustard
      sauce that they also serve.
      Thanks, Teresa

      Lindy this is for you. Sorry this didn't get to you before
      Easter.
      Luv ya, Arlene

      Almond Babka

      Yield: One large coffee cake

      1 pkg. (1 Tbs.) active dry yeast
      Pinch sugar
      1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
      1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
      1/4 cup sugar
      1-1/2 tsp. salt
      2 tsp. vanilla extract
      1/2 tsp. almond extract
      1/4 cup warm milk (105-115 degrees F)
      3 eggs
      About 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
      2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted, for brushing dough
      3 Tbs. powdered sugar

      Almond Filling
      One 8-oz. can almond paste
      1/4 cup ground blanched almonds
      1 Tbs. sugar
      1 egg

      Sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water in a small bowl and stir to
      dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. In a large bowl
      combine butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, almond, milk, eggs, and 1 cup
      flour. Beat until smooth with a whisk. Add yeast mixture. Beat 3
      minutes, or until smooth. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time with a wooden
      spoon until a soft dough is formed. Turn dough out onto a lightly
      floured surface and knead until smooth and silky, about 5 minutes.
      Be certain dough remains soft. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to
      grease top, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area
      until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Meanwhile, combine filling
      ingredients in a bowl, beat until smooth, and set aside. Gently
      deflate dough, turn out onto a lightly floured board, and roll or
      pat into a 10 x 12 inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter.

      Spread with filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border all around dough.
      Roll up jelly-roll fashion and pinch seams. Holding one end, twist
      dough about 6-8 times to make a rope. Form into a flat coil and
      place in a well-greased 10-12 cup kugelhof mold or tube pan (Note:
      Angelfood cake pan works well, as would a Bundt pan). Pinch ends
      together and adjust dough to lie evenly in pan, no more than two-
      thirds full. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until even
      with top of pan, about 45 minutes. Bake in a preheated 350 degree
      oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and a tester comes out
      clean. There will be a hollow sound when tapped. Let stand 5 minutes
      in the pan, then transfer from baking pan to a rack to cool
      completely. Let stand 4 hours to overnight, wrapped in plastic,
      before slicing.

      ================================

      As a newbie to Nancy's Kitchen (only since Oct 03) and the 1st time
      I have
      ever written to a news letter I want to thank you for the time and
      effort in
      managing this and your other site links. I have found soo many
      helpful tips, recipes and smiles in reading your newsletter. I
      almost feel like a distant cousin to you and your other
      contributors. I want to give you a big ((HUG)) for all your hard
      work and dedication. (also a sqweeggie to Siggy) When I didn't get
      your email for the past few weeks during your move I just got
      my "fix" by going to your Yahoo Groups archive and started to copy
      those recipes that I wanted and didn't feel deprived. I hope that
      you get settled in soon and that both you ad Siggy don't take too
      long to feel at home. I would also ask that if is not too much
      trouble if any one has any recipes for a lactose intolerant (hates
      soy), diabetic with colitis. Or can direct me. Thanks again Nancy
      and my the good fairies of moving aid you in setting up your new
      home.
      imladycap in Windsor Ont Canada

      ==================================

      I have a request, We used to live in Michigan and ate at a place
      called Larco's Italian Restaurant. They had a mosticelli dish with a
      sauce and I can't remember the exact name but it was something like
      polamino sauce. It was a creamy tomato sauce and it didn't give me a
      tummy ache after eating it. If any of the readers out there are able
      to help I would love to have that sauce recipe.
      Thanks again for doing a wonderful job.
      Happy Spring to you and your kitty.
      Sandy in South Texas

      ====================================

      Frances requested a meat loaf recipe from a magazine. Found the
      recipe in the May/June, 2001, Taste of Home's, Quick Cooking.

      Cheeseburger Meat Loaf

      1/2 cup ketchup, divided
      1 egg
      1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
      1 teaspoon onion powder
      1 pound lean ground beef
      2 teaspoons prepared mustard
      2 teaspoons dill pickle relish
      6 slices process American cheese

      In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup ketchup, egg, bread crumbs and
      onion powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. On a large
      piece of waxed paper, pat beef mixture into a 10x6-in. rectangle.
      Spread remaining ketchup over meat to within 1/2 inch of long sides
      and 1-1/2 in. of short sides. Top with mustard and relish.

      Place 4 cheese slices on top; set remaining cheese aside. Roll up
      loaf, jelly-roll style, starting with short side and pulling away
      waxed paper while rolling. Seal seams and ends well. Place loaf,
      seam side down, in a greased 11x7x2-in. baking pan.

      Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink
      and meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Cut the reserved cheese
      slices in half diagonally; place on top of loaf. Return to the oven
      for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes
      before
      slicing. Makes 6 servings.
      Nancy J

      ======================================

      Hi Nancy,
      Here is a link to a recipe Tomato Florentine Soup as requested by
      Char for her mom.
      Tomato Florentine Soup presented by The Brewster Inn
      http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/brewsterinn_me_recipe1.html
      submitted by -Shortcake

      =======================================

      I believe Martine is looking for the Lemon Berry Pie recipe from our
      friends at the Kraft Kitchens. -Shortcake

      Lemon Berry Pie
      Makes: 8 servings.

      4 oz. (1/2 of 8 oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
      1 Tbsp. milk
      1 Tbsp. sugar
      2 tsp. grated lemon peel
      1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
      1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
      1 HONEY MAID Graham Pie Crust (6 oz.)
      1 pt. (2 cups) strawberries, hulled, halved
      2 cups cold milk
      2 pkg. (4-serving size each) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding &
      Pie Filling

      BEAT cream cheese, 1 Tbsp. milk and sugar in medium bowl with wire
      whisk until well blended. Stir in lemon peel and juice. Gently stir
      in 1-1/2 cups of the whipped topping. Spread evenly onto bottom of
      crust. Arrange strawberry halves on cream cheese layer, reserving
      several for garnish, if desired. Press strawberries gently into
      cream cheese mixture.

      POUR 2 cups cold milk into large bowl. Add pudding mixes. Beat with
      wire whisk 1 minute. Let stand 1 minute or until thickened. Gently
      stir in 1 cup of the remaining whipped topping. Spoon over
      strawberries in crust.

      REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until set. Top with remaining whipped topping
      and reserved strawberry halves. Store leftover pie in refrigerator.

      KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS
      Great Substitute: Substitute JELL-O Lemon Flavor Instant Pudding &
      Pie Filling for vanilla pudding & pie filling.
      submitted by -Shortcake

      Love your newsletter!!! For mallow pie, go to
      http://www.Dianasdesserts.com
      Thanks, Brenda

      Please can you help me in identifying why my meat pie is always hard
      after production using a method prescribed by motherland Nigeria:
      recipes
      (by boomie o.).

      Hello there Nancy I was looking at yur web site and I really enjoyed
      the delicious recipes that were featured.

      I do have a question though, do you have any suggestions or recipes
      that can make it easier for my son whom is a picky eater to eat his
      green vegetables? He won't eat them even if I put cheese on them! Do
      you have any suggestions? If so please share them with me. Thank You
      Nancy.
      Sincerely, Andrea Lewis

      =======================================

      Do you know what 'cavatelli' is? I have a recipe that calls
      for '4lbs of cavatelli' and I haven't a clue to what that might be.
      I thank you in advance for any and all the help that you can
      provide. Have a great day! :-)
      Melissa

      ======================================

      Hi Nancy, I've been looking at your web page and getting all kinds
      of great
      recipes. But I've been looking for a certain one and can't find it
      anywhere, and I was hoping you could help me.

      I'm looking for a recipe for Mexican white cheese dip. They serve
      it in
      Mexican restaurants and it's wonderful. Can you help?
      Valerie

      ======================================

      This is a great guacamole without all those calories.

      Low-cal Guacamole
      Makes about 1-1/2 cups.

      1 cup cooked, split green peas, well drained (you will need about ¾
      cup dry)
      25g reduced fat cream cheese
      8 teaspoons reduced fat sour cream
      8 teaspoons lime or lemon juice
      1 teaspoon fresh chiles (not packed in oil)
      4 teaspoons tomato paste
      1/8 teaspoon Cajun spice
      6 drops Tabasco sauce (more or less to taste)
      1 or 2 drops of green food coloring (optional)

      Place all ingredients except for Tabasco sauce and food coloring
      into a food processor or blender until smooth. Add Tabasco to taste
      and coloring to suit. Refrigerate until required.

      Nutritional information per 15ml tablespoon:
      Fat: 0.5g Calories: 44 Calories: 11 Carbohydrates: 0.8

      Nancy your site and newsletter is wonderful. Thank you for all the
      work you put into keeping them going and making them enjoyable
      places to get recipes when one needs them. just want you to know
      that you are doing a great job and that I appreciate so very much.
      Helen

      If Stella goes to the Food Channel website and selects Paula Deen's
      site, she will find that Paula made a fudge with Velveeta cheese
      just this week. She will be able to print it from there.
      Sandy

      Nancy, this is for Stella:
      Velvetta Fudge

      Melt together
      1 pound oleo or butter
      1 pound Velvettta cheese
      Sift together
      4 pounds powdered sugar
      1 cup cocoa.
      Mix altogether
      1 tablespoon vanilla.

      Keep stirring--it will all come together. Can add chopped nuts if
      desired. Spread in greased 9 x 13 pan. Cool and cut. Makes about 6
      lbs. of fudge of delicious creamy fudge. Recipe can be cut in half.
      Will keep quite a while if you can leave it alone! Most people won't
      be able to figure out it's Velvetta in this fudge. The Velvetta
      fudge recipe has been around for years. It is so creamy and smooth -
      keeps well tool
      JH
      A similar recipe was sent in by Eunice, Cindy O, Bev from Iowa,
      Glen, Jo Dan Sue, Julie , Toni, Michelle, and Vivien.

      =====================================

      This is for Barb M.
      I found this on the WBIR-TV Knoxville, TN website:
      New Fashioned Trail Mix

      1 15 oz. box Quaker Cinnamon Life Cereal
      1 8 oz. bag Nabisco Mini Teddy Grahams Graham Snacks
      1 7 oz. bag Sun-Maid Fruit Bits (or other dried fruits of choice)
      1 6 oz. bag slivered almonds

      Place ingredients into a large zip-loc bag and close the top. Shake
      until well distributed. Place 1/2 cup portions into smaller zip-loc
      bags for lunch boxes or portable snacks.

      "Trail mix used to be called GORP, which stood for "Good Old
      Fashioned Raisins and Peanuts." Nowadays it's a phrase for almost
      any mixture of nuts, dried fruit, and sometimes candy-coated
      chocolate pieces. The trail mix we purchased ready-made at the
      grocery store had 425 calories, 27 grams of fat (including 6.25
      grams of saturated fat, the most unhealthy type of fat), and 26
      grams of sugar per 1/2 cup serving. Our renovated mixture contains
      approximately 150 calories, 5 grams of fat (including .5 grams of
      saturated fat), and 10 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup serving. In
      addition, due to the use of vitamin-fortified breakfast cereal, our
      mixture has vitamins and minerals not contained in the typical
      mixture. Enjoy!"

      Updated pages
      http://www.annies-kitchen.com/Kitchen/Amish_recipes.htm
      http://www.annies-kitchen.com/Kitchen/bisquick.htm
      http://www.annies-kitchen.com/Kitchen/chicken_recipes/index.htm
      http://www.annies-kitchen.com/Kitchen/holiday_candy.htm
      http://www.annies-kitchen.com/Kitchen/coca_cola.htm

      Here is a recipe for the beignets that was requested in your letter:

      BEIGNETS

      1 cup milk
      2 Tablespoons sugar
      3/4 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
      1 envelope dry yeast
      2 Tablespoons lukewarm water
      1 egg
      2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
      3 1/2 cups sifted flour
      Fat for deep frying
      Sifted confectioners sugar

      Scald milk and dissolve it in the sugar and salt. Add nutmeg. Let
      milk cool to lukewarm and combine with softened yeast in lukewarm
      water. Stir in the egg and oil and thoroughly blend in flour, a
      little at a time. Cover the bowl lightly with a cloth and let dough
      rise in a warm place until it has doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2
      hours. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured pastry board, deflate
      it and knead it gently. Roll it out into a rectangle 18" long and
      12" wide and cut it into 36 pieces, each 3 x 2.
      Cover lightly with a towel and let beignets rise on the pastry board
      for 30 minutes. In a fryer or large saucepan, heat fat for deep
      frying to 375 degrees. Cook the beignets, a few at a time, until
      they are golden brown. Drain them quickly. Dust immediately with
      confectioners sugar and serve at once while hot. Yields 36.

      Hi Nancy .
      This is a request for any tips or suggestions on how to use up a
      bottle of noni juice. The taste is gross, but it is very expensive
      and my friend doesn't want to throw it away if she doesn't have to.
      This is a juice from a fruit from the Polynesian islands, and it is
      suppose to be very healthy for you, but one just can't get past the
      disgusting taste. Thank you.
      Cindy O

      Helen asked about shortening in muffins. Crisco is the most popular
      shortening (vegetable fat). I'm not fully understanding the part of
      the question about lard, margarine and/or butter and a farm. I live
      on a farm and have to go to a grocery store to buy butter or
      shortening which is usually Crisco. Margarine can be used in place
      of butter if it's really
      margarine (??) and not some faked out diet stuff. As long as the
      fat content is equal to butter the recipe should work. If a person
      is looking to make less fattening muffins a low fat recipe should be
      used. Some cooks substitute some apple sauce for some of the fat.
      Vivien

      This is for Jean/Ohio.I make cinnamon rolls from canned biscuits
      this way...1can cheap biscuits,1/2 stick oleo or butter,2t.cinnamon.
      Melt oleo in 9'pan(round or square) add cinnamon. take each biscuit
      and turn it in the oleo mixture to coat both side, bake according to
      package instructions. Ice with powdered sugar icing. delicious.
      Thank you Nancy for this wonderful site. I look forward to it.
      Sharon/Illinois

      Thank you for you newsletter - I look forward to it and have used
      many of the recipies. Arlene from Granada Hills, CA, sent on for
      Creme Bruele French Toast which sounds interesting. However, she
      did not say what temperature to do the baking. Help please

      I am new to this cooking thing (I am 58 but just really
      experimenting for the first time) and this is my first message so I
      hope it works.
      Barbara

      Nancy, Just writing to say " a big Thank You to Mary Jean" for the
      beans and greens recipe. You made my day. I will try them tonight.
      Thank you. Hugs cat

      Hi Nancy,
      I have a request of you if you would be so kind. Do you know of any
      cookbooks that give VERY simple recipes for a beginner cook? My Mom
      passed away two weeks ago and my Dad has absolutely no clue how to
      cook. My sister and I want him to join us for meals or to bring him
      prepared meals but he refuses, I think he feels that he needs to
      learn some basics "on his own" as part of adapting to life without
      Mom. He has no special dietary needs and is quite capable of doing
      it himself so I thought I would try to support his efforts by
      bringing him a cookbook or two. I have searched the web looking for
      cookbooks such as I described but the list is endless so I thought I
      would ask you since your site was the best one I had seen for what I
      was searching for. If you have any Title ideas I could look for
      either online or at the bookstore I would so appreciate a quick note
      from you.
      Thanks in advance and best wishes!
      Sincerely, Eileen

      I am searching for a biscuit recipe that makes smaller, melt in your
      mouth biscuits like they serve at the Loveless Motel on Hwy. 100 in
      Nashville. A little dive famous for their homemade peach and
      blackberry preserves served with a pyramid of homemade biscuits.
      thanks, lindah in Texas

      Hi everyone,

      A few wks ago I found a LOT of recipe booklets for sale at the
      public library.... among them was a series put out by Shop Rite
      Supermarkets. No date on any of them, but one clue is the
      publisher's address (Culinary Arts Institute, Chicago 1, Illinois.)
      NO ZIP CODE!

      I have Volumes 1-24 (no clue as to whether there was a number 25!)
      I am missing Numbers 3, 9, 10, & 11 ... and possibly 25 and
      beyond ....

      My mom always shopped at a Shop Rite in NJ from when we moved there
      in 1958 till they moved to Fla in 1972.

      So here is a recipe from Vol 1:

      QUICK DISHES FOR THE WOMAN IN A HURRY
      SubTitle: 332 recipes in 30 minutes or less.

      FRENCH TOAST SANDWICHES (NOT TNT !!! )

      Blend together
      1/3 cup (3 oz can) deviled ham
      1/4 cup finely chopped celery
      2 Tablespoons cream
      1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
      1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

      Spread mixture on 4 slices bread and top with 4 more slices.
      Carefully dip sandwiches, one at a time, into a mixture of:

      3 eggs, slightly beaten
      2/3 cup milk or cream
      1 Tablespoon sugar
      1/2 teaspoon salt

      Coat each side well and place in hot skillet containing 3
      Tablespoons hot fat. Brown at one time only as many as will easily
      fit into the skillet. Turn once with spatula. If necessary, add more
      fat to keep sandwiches from sticking.

      For sandwich topping, melt

      3 Tablespoons sugar in a heavy skillet over low heat. Add 4 slices
      (9-oz can, drained) pineapple and brown lightly on both sides. Place
      on sandwiches. Cut sandwiches diagonally and serve hot.

      4 servings

      SOURCE: SHOP RITE RECIPE BOOKLET
      Vol. 1-QUICK DISHES FOR THE WOMAN IN A HURRY
      SubTitle: 332 recipes in 30 minutes or less.

      Copyright: Book Production Industries, Inc. (no year)

      FROM ANN IN FLA

      Nancy Rogers , PO Box 98441, Lubbock, TX 79499

      Have a great day
      Nancy