Electric car that pumps energy back into grid

  • altern4
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2009
      Australian engineers have developed a plug-in hybrid electric car that not only generates power but can pump it back into the grid, potentially reducing running costs. Read more at http://autoblitz.blogspot.com/
    • David Walters
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2009
        --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "altern4" <altern4@...> wrote:

        > Australian engineers have developed a plug-in hybrid electric car that
        > not only generates power but can pump it back into the grid, potentially
        > reducing running costs. Read more at http://autoblitz.blogspot.com/
        > <http://autoblitz.blogspot.com/>

        I'm 100% in favor of electric cars. It's the future, we have no choice. But the idea that the care is going to pump power *back into the grid* is total nonsense. What would be the point??? The car would be DEAD in the morning? The idea is to use the grid to power the CAR not the other way around!!!

        David
      • Jack Wilkie
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2009
          I also doubt that the Aussies can pump energy back into the grid, David. But I wonder if they've ever considered Gravity as a source of electric power. Remember, gravity is a force, and any force has energy. It's just up to inventors to come up with ways to harness that energy. (I have a book I'm trying to sell that covers that subject.)

          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2009
            It's called "Hydro". Gravity is only a force when related to mass. You need mass to make the gravity relative. Otherwise you are getting into the realm of perpetual motion machines and you know how that goes.

            david

            --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Wilkie <jakjak8@...> wrote:

            > I also doubt that the Aussies can pump energy back into the grid, David. But I wonder if they've ever considered Gravity as a source of electric power. Remember, gravity is a force, and any force has energy. It's just up to inventors to come up with ways to harness that energy. (I have a book I'm trying to sell that covers that subject.)

          • Wayne Gage
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2009
              Force is not an energy source.

              --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Wilkie <jakjak8@...> wrote:

              > I also doubt that the Aussies can pump energy back into the grid, David. But I wonder if they've ever considered Gravity as a source of electric power. Remember, gravity is a force, and any force has energy. It's just up to inventors to come up with ways to harness that energy. (I have a book I'm trying to sell that covers that subject.)

            • Jack Wilkie
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2009
                Since when? What makes those propellers turn when they are hit by moving air? What happens when a boxer strikes his glove his opponent's jaw? It's energy, pal.

                > I also doubt that the Aussies can pump energy back into the grid, David. But I wonder if they've ever considered Gravity as a source of electric power. Remember, gravity is a force, and any force has energy. It's just up to inventors to come up with ways to harness that energy. (I have a book I'm trying to sell that covers that subject.)

              • Rick H. Parker
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2009
                  A force is not energy. Energy is the work a force does, therefore force
                  is the source of energy.

                  Rick H Parker

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2009
                    It is energy that causes those forces but force is not the source of the energy.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force

                    --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Wilkie <jakjak8@...> wrote:

                    > Since when? What makes those propellers turn when they are hit by moving air? What happens when a boxer strikes his glove his opponent's jaw? It's energy, pal.

                  • eleni constantinou
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                      To some ...it is only viable if it's destroying the environment we all depend on, and a few Greedy pigs are profiting.
                      We are surrounded and indeed immersed in abundance of Energy....just needs the collective mind of Man to wake up and find out how to access it...or at least to resist the opposing fools that oppose it!

                      --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Wilkie <jakjak8@...> wrote:

                      > Since when? What makes those propellers turn when they are hit by moving air? What happens when a boxer strikes his glove his opponent's jaw? It's energy, pal.

                    • Jack Wilkie
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                        Wow. Talk about non sequitors! Getting back to the point, Wayne, force is THE major energy source. And gravity is the most powerful force of all. So at the present time, the only way the force of gravity is being  used to generate electricity is hydroelectric power. Water flowing downhill is simply made to spin mechanisms and generate electricity. Water itself has no energy; but gravity does.

                        To some ...it is only viable if it's destroying the environment we all depend on, and a few Greedy pigs are profiting.
                        We are surrounded and indeed immersed in abundance of Energy....just needs the collective mind of Man to wake up and find out how to access it...or at least to resist the opposing fools that oppose it!

                        --- In All-Energy@yahoogro ups.com, Jack Wilkie <jakjak8@... > wrote:

                        > Since when? What makes those propellers turn when they are hit by moving air? What happens when a boxer strikes his glove his opponent's jaw? It's energy, pal.

                      • Jack Wilkie
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                          If you rely on Wikipedia as your main source of information, you're in trouble. Much of the stuff is baloney. (Continuing) Well if force isn't the source of energy, what is? The force of the wind; the force of the waves; the force of gravity.

                          It is energy that causes those forces but force is not the source of the energy.
                          http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Force

                          --- In All-Energy@yahoogro ups.com, Jack Wilkie <jakjak8@... > wrote:

                          > Since when? What makes those propellers turn when they are hit by moving air? What happens when a boxer strikes his glove his opponent's jaw? It's energy, pal.

                        • Michael Redler
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                            Please Jack, understand the difference between force, energy, and power.

                            force=mass x acceleration
                            work(energy)=force x distance
                            power=(force x distance) / time

                            Force is a component of power and energy. It is certainly NOT a unit of energy.

                            Gravity is a quantity of acceleration and can be used in calculations for force, energy, and power. However, without time or distance, the equations for energy and power cannot be solved.

                            Water has mass. Gravity, being a unit of acceleration, is multiplied by the mass of the water to give you force. When it travels from a high elevation to a lower elevation, it's measured as a distance and can be multiplied by force to give you work (energy). When that work is divided by the time taken for it to occur, you have power.

                            There is absolutely nothing to argue about here. Those values and principles have been known, quantified, and calculated for many hundreds of years.

                            Mike

                            Jack Wilkie wrote:

                            Wow. Talk about non sequitors! Getting back to the point, Wayne, force is THE major energy source. And gravity is the most powerful force of all. So at the present time, the only way the force of gravity is being  used to generate electricity is hydroelectric power. Water flowing downhill is simply made to spin mechanisms and generate electricity. Water itself has no energy; but gravity does.

                            To some ...it is only viable if it's destroying the environment we all depend on, and a few Greedy pigs are profiting.
                            We are surrounded and indeed immersed in abundance of Energy....just needs the collective mind of Man to wake up and find out how to access it...or at least to resist the opposing fools that oppose it!

                            --- In All-Energy@yahoogro ups.com, Jack Wilkie <jakjak8@... > wrote:

                            > Since when? What makes those propellers turn when they are hit by moving air? What happens when a boxer strikes his glove his opponent's jaw? It's energy, pal.

                            [snip]

                          • Wayne Gage
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                              It was all explained in high school physics. Then we had lab to verify what we were taught. We were encouraged to test all claims.
                              The source of all energy on earth is the sun. (with the exception of nuclear energy which had its beginning in a star) All energy is eventually converted to heat. Without a heat gradient work is not possible. Heat can create a force as in wind or waves. Gravity is one of the fundamental forces. Magnetism is another. In these cases they can be used in configuration with other elements to create work as in hydro production of electricity using the sun as the power source to raise water to a level and then gravity forces the water through a generating station. But the source of energy is the sun.
                              The wiki article is very good and you would know that if you knew physics.

                              --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, Jack Wilkie <jakjak8@...> wrote:

                              > If you rely on Wikipedia as your main source of information, you're in trouble. Much of the stuff is baloney. (Continuing) Well if force isn't the source of energy, what is? The force of the wind; the force of the waves; the force of gravity.

                            • David Walters
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                                Perhaps its best if "Jack" can at least take us through the mechanics of deriving energy from gravity. A broad, simple outline perhaps?

                                D.

                                --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, Michael Redler <redlerm@...> wrote:

                                > Please Jack, understand the difference between force, energy, and power.
                                >
                                > force=mass x acceleration
                                > work(energy)=force x distance
                                > power=(force x distance) / time
                                >
                                > Force is a component of power and energy. It is certainly NOT a unit of
                                > energy.
                                >
                                > Gravity is a quantity of acceleration and can be used in calculations
                                > for force, energy, and power. However, without time or distance, the
                                > equations for energy and power cannot be solved.
                                >
                                > Water has mass. Gravity, being a unit of acceleration, is multiplied by
                                > the mass of the water to give you force. When it travels from a high
                                > elevation to a lower elevation, it's measured as a distance and can be
                                > multiplied by force to give you work (energy). When that work is divided
                                > by the time taken for it to occur, you have power.
                                >
                                > There is absolutely nothing to argue about here. Those values and
                                > principles have been known, quantified, and calculated for many hundreds
                                > of years.
                                >
                                > Mike
                                >
                                > Jack Wilkie wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Wow. Talk about non sequitors! Getting back to the point, Wayne, force
                                > > is THE major energy source. And gravity is the most powerful force of
                                > > all. So at the present time, the only way the force of gravity is
                                > > being used to generate electricity is hydroelectric power. Water
                                > > flowing downhill is simply made to spin mechanisms and generate
                                > > electricity. Water itself has no energy; but gravity does.

                              • Rick H. Parker
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                                  Gravity is a weak force, thats why hydroelectric and pumped storage
                                  requires huge amounts of water.

                                  Rick H Parker