Prototype Tomahawk Reactor - latest news

  • chris64strev
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1 2:47 AM
      I have replaced the sockets that caught fire with large plastic
      insulators and mounted the coil on a strong screw mount. The circuit
      has been re-wired with 2 mm enamelled copper wire and no part of the
      wiring goes under the base board. The coupling loop wiring now has 2
      mm plugs as well as sockets and still goes under the baseboard to
      connect to the coaxial lead to the transmitter.

      I discovered the turns on the winding were too close together and
      adjacent turns were arcing through the enamel insulation that had
      overheated and darkened so I separeted them by pulling in the turn.

      The S-meter now reads 3.8 during operation when the transmitter is
      delivering 100 watt.

      The reverse power still creeps up as the unit gets hot but this can
      be brought down to zero by turning the capacitor adjustment.

      When the tube is not present the reverse power cannot be brought down
      to zero but it can be when the tube is in place and the plsma arc has
      struck.
    • chris64strev
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1 3:26 AM
        I have ordered a 1 KW linear amplifier and paid for it. It was paid
        for out of savings and only incurred a small bank overdraft
        (approved). I have also ordered a hand specroscope to see if I can
        detect helium in the tube. I may be able to mount it on my camera so
        I can photograph the spectrum and publish it on my web page. It was
        not expensive.

        --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "chris64strev" <cjrs@...> wrote:

        > I have replaced the sockets that caught fire with large plastic
        > insulators and mounted the coil on a strong screw mount. The
        circuit
        > has been re-wired with 2 mm enamelled copper wire and no part of
        the
        > wiring goes under the base board. The coupling loop wiring now has
        2
        > mm plugs as well as sockets and still goes under the baseboard to
        > connect to the coaxial lead to the transmitter.
        >
        > I discovered the turns on the winding were too close together and
        > adjacent turns were arcing through the enamel insulation that had
        > overheated and darkened so I separeted them by pulling in the turn.
        >
        > The S-meter now reads 3.8 during operation when the transmitter is
        > delivering 100 watt.
        >
        > The reverse power still creeps up as the unit gets hot but this can
        > be brought down to zero by turning the capacitor adjustment.
        >
        > When the tube is not present the reverse power cannot be brought
        down
        > to zero but it can be when the tube is in place and the plsma arc
        has
        > struck.

      • James Sapp
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1 8:54 AM

          good job discovering those flaws in your way dude!
          im glad it is working smoother now.
          jim

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1 10:37 PM
            Please translate "Dude" into British Standard English. Does it
            mean "Idiot".

            --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, James Sapp <aquaboi@...> wrote:

            > good job discovering those flaws in your way dude!
            > im glad it is working smoother now.
            > jim
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Wayne Gage
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2 2:38 AM
              Dude = Bloke = Mate

              --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "chris64strev" <cjrs@...> wrote:

              > Please translate "Dude" into British Standard English. Does it
              > mean "Idiot".
              >
              > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, James Sapp <aquaboi@> wrote:
              > >

              > > good job discovering those flaws in your way dude!
              > > im glad it is working smoother now.
              > > jim
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • Rick H. Parker
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2 3:35 AM

                In American ( like the F word ) tone, inflection and context are used to convey the various meanings of Dude. Dude exclamated in the contexts of a mistake does mean idiot as in the original meaning, which  was a city dweller unfamiliar with life on the range, especially an Easterner in the West, ignorant of what it took to survive in the old west.

                Rick H Parker

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2 7:56 AM
                  no, it means like,...bloke or fellow.
                  jim

                  Please translate "Dude" into British Standard English. Does it
                  mean "Idiot".

                  --- In All-Energy@yahoogro ups.com, James Sapp <aquaboi@... > wrote:

                  > good job discovering those flaws in your way dude!
                  > im glad it is working smoother now.
                  > jim
                  >

                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                • James Sapp
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2 8:01 AM
                    i suppose back then it meant all that, city slicker.......but surfers like i was just say dude all the time, when addressing anyone in a freindly manner. it is only slang. and if i were to insult someone intentionally, it would be most clear, and obvious.
                    jim

                  • editor@gbanalysts.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2 12:06 PM
                      I think that the meaning offered by Wayne Gage applies more that the one by Rick Parker only because of the internal conflict that arises with the application of the meaning offered by Rick. I actually think that within the context of the meaning offered by Wayne, the actual sentence may be re-arranged as "good job, dude! ....." which simply only shifts the exclamation mark from being placed after the "job" for emphasis to after the "dude" but still having the intended meaning of James.

                      Just my thoughts.

                      EditorGBAnalysts.

                      Please translate "Dude" into British Standard English. Does it
                      mean "Idiot".

                      --- In All-Energy@yahoogro ups.com, James Sapp <aquaboi@... > wrote:

                      > good job discovering those flaws in your way dude!
                      > im glad it is working smoother now.
                      > jim
                      >

                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                    • chris64strev
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 17 12:53 PM
                        I have now made a spectrograph of the spectrum and there are lines in the red but not in the blue green or the violet. Apart from the lines in the red, which is split into two there is a contiuum from the red to the violet.

                        The red line from Wikipedia is 0.02 cm wide but my line is 0.2 cm wide and so it is ten times wider. So the temperature comes to:
                        10 = SQR (kT/mc^2) so T=100 * mc^2/k = 100*1/6E23*(3E8)^2/1.4E-23 = 1E18 K
                        I think it is lower than this though. It could be 10^6K howeber.

                        I do not think it was out of focus but the spectrograph of the flourescent tube was out of focus but it showes the prominant green line.

                        http://www.chrisspages.co.uk/H-Power%20Project/ReasoningAndExperiments/experiments.htm
                      • chris64strev
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 19 3:28 AM
                          Hi: Return of linear amplifier

                          The linear amplifier that I damaged out of ignorance by leaving the packing inside with the power on has now been repaired and I received it this morning.
                          I took out the packing and vacuumed out the debris. It has now been switched on with the HT off for about 3/4 of an hour. It is quite stable but there is a faint "electrical" scent emanating from it.
                          I have now turned it off.
                          I will probably turn the HT on tomorrow and tune it up with a dummy load. I have not used the "tune and load" system before so I will try to obtain instruction first.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 19 2:57 PM
                            I finally learned how to set up the linear amplifier that arrived this morning and used it to excite the reactor.

                            Setting this up took several hours as I was totally unfamiliar with the process.

                            I increased the power I applied to the ionised gas, aiming to reach 1000 watt. But at 300 watt the capacitor flashed over and the circuit stopped oscillating.

                            The RF current was 80 amp and the S-meter read 0.5.

                            So I backed off the power to 200 watt and allowed the gas to heat up.

                            However it stopped immediately I switched of the exciter showing that 200 watt is insufficient to ignite the reactor.

                            The appearance of the ionised gas shows a brighter "solid" region near the mid point of the coil around its axis.

                            Chris

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 20 1:33 AM
                              I misread the current meter dial the current was 80% of 30 amps or 24 amp. That makes the plasma current 400 amp. That is at 200 watt so at 1000 watt the plasma current would be SQR (1000/200) * 400 =900 amp.