Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: CO2 level and "The Great Dying."

Expand Messages
  • dan brown
    ... of ... people who really know things
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gage" <waynegage@...> wrote:
      >
      > This was not murder!!!!
      > Who writes this crap?
      >
      >
      > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "dan brown" <b24664050@> wrote:
      > >
      > > McClatchy Washington Bureau | 08/27/2008 | Scientists close in on
      > > mass killer of life on earth
      > > ((end of the next century, the CO2 level could approach what it
      > was
      > > during the P-T period.))
      > >
      > > Scientists close in on mass killer of life on earth
      > > More on this Story
      > > Jon Ranson/NASA Earth Observatory/MCT
      > > 251 million years ago, massive eruptions in Siberia killed most
      of
      > > the plants
      > > and animals on Earth. McClatchy
      > > Newspapers
      > > WASHINGTON — It was the greatest mass murder of all time — poison
      > > everywhere!
      >
      people who really know things
    • eleni constantinou
      Obviously not Wayne Gage!! ... on ... poison
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Obviously not Wayne Gage!!

        --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "dan brown" <b24664050@...> wrote:
        >
        > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gage" <waynegage@> wrote:
        > >
        > > This was not murder!!!!
        > > Who writes this crap?
        > >
        > >
        > > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "dan brown" <b24664050@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > McClatchy Washington Bureau | 08/27/2008 | Scientists close in
        on
        > > > mass killer of life on earth
        > > > ((end of the next century, the CO2 level could approach what it
        > > was
        > > > during the P-T period.))
        > > >
        > > > Scientists close in on mass killer of life on earth
        > > > More on this Story
        > > > Jon Ranson/NASA Earth Observatory/MCT
        > > > 251 million years ago, massive eruptions in Siberia killed most
        > of
        > > > the plants
        > > > and animals on Earth. McClatchy
        > > > Newspapers
        > > > WASHINGTON — It was the greatest mass murder of all time —
        poison
        > > > everywhere!
        > >
        > people who really know things
        >
      • Wayne Gage
        Eleni, Murder is a legal term. . The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice. You are quite the idiot. Get an education
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Eleni,
          Murder is a legal term.
          . The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with
          premeditated malice.
          You are quite the idiot. Get an education and learn the truth
          instead of the poisons you embrace.


          --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "eleni constantinou"
          <tpanayiotou@...> wrote:
          >
          > Obviously not Wayne Gage!!
          >
          > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "dan brown" <b24664050@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gage" <waynegage@>
          wrote:
          > > >
          > > > This was not murder!!!!
          > > > Who writes this crap?
          > > >
          > > >
          > > > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "dan brown" <b24664050@>
          wrote:
          > > > >
          > > > > McClatchy Washington Bureau | 08/27/2008 | Scientists close
          in
          > on
          > > > > mass killer of life on earth
          > > > > ((end of the next century, the CO2 level could approach what
          it
          > > > was
          > > > > during the P-T period.))
          > > > >
          > > > > Scientists close in on mass killer of life on earth
          > > > > More on this Story
          > > > > Jon Ranson/NASA Earth Observatory/MCT
          > > > > 251 million years ago, massive eruptions in Siberia killed
          most
          > > of
          > > > > the plants
          > > > > and animals on Earth. McClatchy
          > > > > Newspapers
          > > > > WASHINGTON — It was the greatest mass murder of all time —
          > poison
          > > > > everywhere!
          > > >
          > > people who really know things
          > >
          >
        • eleni constantinou
          you mean an education like yours where facts don t matter and everyone else is an idiot....think not! ... what
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            you mean an education like yours where facts don't matter and
            everyone else is an idiot....think not!


            --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gage" <waynegage@...> wrote:
            >
            > Eleni,
            > Murder is a legal term.
            > . The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with
            > premeditated malice.
            > You are quite the idiot. Get an education and learn the truth
            > instead of the poisons you embrace.
            >
            >
            > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "eleni constantinou"
            > <tpanayiotou@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Obviously not Wayne Gage!!
            > >
            > > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "dan brown" <b24664050@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gage" <waynegage@>
            > wrote:
            > > > >
            > > > > This was not murder!!!!
            > > > > Who writes this crap?
            > > > >
            > > > >
            > > > > --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "dan brown" <b24664050@>
            > wrote:
            > > > > >
            > > > > > McClatchy Washington Bureau | 08/27/2008 | Scientists close
            > in
            > > on
            > > > > > mass killer of life on earth
            > > > > > ((end of the next century, the CO2 level could approach
            what
            > it
            > > > > was
            > > > > > during the P-T period.))
            > > > > >
            > > > > > Scientists close in on mass killer of life on earth
            > > > > > More on this Story
            > > > > > Jon Ranson/NASA Earth Observatory/MCT
            > > > > > 251 million years ago, massive eruptions in Siberia killed
            > most
            > > > of
            > > > > > the plants
            > > > > > and animals on Earth. McClatchy
            > > > > > Newspapers
            > > > > > WASHINGTON — It was the greatest mass murder of all time —
            > > poison
            > > > > > everywhere!
            > > > >
            > > > people who really know things
            > > >
            > >
            >
          • esbuck@aol.com
            If I were a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, I would say that God in omnipotent and benevolent.Therefore, CO2 levels are entirely in accord with His will, and, since
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              If I were a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, I would say that God in omnipotent and benevolent.Therefore, CO2 levels are entirely in accord with His will, and, since He is good, we should not complain but agree that it must be for the best.  The Great Dying was just God's way of arranging lots of fossils for future scientists to write dissertations about.
               
              It is noteworthy that, while atmospheric CO2 continues to increase, NASA and the other government agencies which actually measure global temperatures tell us global warming stopped in 1998, and recently the global temperature has dropped 0.7 degree, which puts us back to 1930 in terms of climate.  "Everybody", including both major candidates for president, "knows" that global warming is a terrible threat, demanding new laws and great expenditures of other people's money.  If they are not a bunch of ignorant fools who disregard real-world measurements in favor of the faith of St. Algore,  then the only conclusion we can reach is that there is an intergovernmental conspiracy to lie about what they are observing, as we cannot have warming and cooling simultaneously.  Which is it?




              It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel deal here.
            • csceadraham
              ... omnipotent ... will, and, ... for the ... fossils for ... NASA and ... temperatures ... temperature has ... that global ... expenditures of other ...
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/All-Energy/message/15367
                esbuck@... wrote:

                > If I were a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, I would say that God in
                omnipotent
                > and benevolent.Therefore, CO2 levels are entirely in accord with His
                will, and,
                > since He is good, we should not complain but agree that it must be
                for the
                > best. The Great Dying was just God's way of arranging lots of
                fossils for
                > future scientists to write dissertations about.
                >
                > It is noteworthy that, while atmospheric CO2 continues to increase,
                NASA and
                > the other government agencies which actually measure global
                temperatures
                > tell us global warming stopped in 1998, and recently the global
                temperature has
                > dropped 0.7 degree, which puts us back to 1930 in terms of climate.
                > "Everybody", including both major candidates for president, "knows"
                that global
                > warming is a terrible threat, demanding new laws and great
                expenditures of other
                > people's money. If they are not a bunch of ignorant fools who
                disregard
                > real-world measurements in favor of the faith of St. Algore, then
                the only
                > conclusion we can reach is that there is an intergovernmental
                conspiracy to lie
                > about what they are observing

                More likely one liar/fool -- that would be you --
                than a conspiracy of them.

                The theological stupidity has been addressed somewhere
                by C.S. Lewis with words something like, "Why wash your
                hands? If God wanted your hands to be clean,
                He would clean them. Why put on your boots? Why do
                anything?"


                --- G.R.L. Cowan, H2 energy fan 'til ~1996
                http://www.eagle.ca/~gcowan
              • eleni constantinou
                ohhh look what I found....... Scientists close in on mass killer of life on earth (end of the next century, the CO2 level could approach what it was during the
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  ohhh look what I found.......

                  Scientists close in on mass killer of life on earth
                  (end of the next century, the CO2 level could approach what it was
                  during the P-T period.)

                  http://www.courant com/news/ nationworld/ hc-
                  extinct0831. artaug31, 0,1750237. story?track= rss

                  WASHINGTON — It was the greatest mass murder of all time — poison
                  everywhere!
                  billions slain! — but the killer or killers have never been
                  positively
                  identified.
                  An estimated 95 percent of all marine species and up to 85 percent of
                  land
                  creatures perished, according to Peter Ward, a paleobiologist at the
                  University
                  of Washington in Seattle.
                  Scientists call it "The Great Dying." Life took millions of years to
                  recover.
                  Scientific sleuths, however, now think they're making progress toward
                  pinning
                  down what caused the extinction of most plants and animals on Earth
                  some 251
                  million years ago.
                  The perpetrator wasn't an asteroid or comet, like the impact that
                  wiped out the
                  dinosaurs 65 million years ago and inspired movies such as "Deep
                  Impact" and
                  "Armageddon. "
                  Instead, it was a cascade of events that began with a monstrous
                  outpouring of
                  hot, reeking lava in Siberia. Repeated floods of lava released
                  massive amounts
                  of carbon dioxide, which produced a runaway greenhouse effect,
                  oxygen-
                  starved
                  oceans and a poisoned atmosphere.
                  The slaughter is formally known as the Permian-Triassic Mass
                  Extinction because
                  it marked the end of a multi-million year geologic period, the
                  Permian, and the
                  beginning of another, the Triassic.
                  To further unravel the mystery, the National Science Foundation has
                  launched an
                  international project to study the Siberian lava, led by Linda
                  Elkins-
                  Tanton, a
                  geologist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
                  "We have 28 scientists from seven countries and five years' worth of
                  funding,"
                  Elkins-Tanton said. "I'm very excited about it!"
                  Besides being a puzzling detective story, the P-T extinction is also
                  a
                  cautionary tale for our time.
                  "The end-Permian catastrophe is an extreme version of the
                  consequences of global
                  warming, said Lee Kump, a geoscientist at The Pennsylvania State
                  University. "It
                  reminds us that there are unexpected consequences of CO2 buildup, and
                  these can
                  be quite dire, indeed."
                  The lessons of the P-T massacre are "directly applicable to the
                  present," said
                  John Isbell, a geoscientist at the University of Wisconsin in
                  Milwaukee. He said
                  the world today is in danger of exceeding a CO2 "threshold" that
                  could set off
                  an environmental upheaval as great as the one 251 million years ago.
                  Isbell said CO2 levels in the atmosphere at the time of the P-T
                  catastrophe
                  reached 1,000 to 1,500 parts per million (ppm), far higher than
                  today's level of
                  385 ppm. (That means there are 385 carbon dioxide molecules for every
                  1 million
                  total molecules in the atmosphere.)
                  CO2 levels are now rising by 2 ppm a year, and that's expected to
                  accelerate to
                  3 ppm a year. If carbon emissions aren't reduced, some researchers
                  fear that by
                  the end of the next century, the CO2 level could approach what it was
                  during the
                  P-T period.
                  Exactly what caused the ancient mass extinction is still unclear, but
                  here's how
                  many researchers think it may have unfolded:
                  Over a period of about a million years, an enormous quantity of lava
                  from deep
                  in the Earth's interior oozed up through giant cracks in Siberia's
                  crust. The
                  molten mass "froze" into step-like slabs of flood basalts, volcanic
                  rocks known
                  as the Siberian Traps.
                  Enough lava gushed out to cover an area almost as large as the
                  continental U.S.
                  At a conference of geologists in Vienna last April, Russian
                  geoscientist Alexei
                  Ivanov estimated the lava flow at 2.8 million square miles and the
                  volume of the
                  basalt at 960,000 cubic miles, enough to slather the entire Earth
                  with a layer
                  10 or more feet thick. (In comparison, the 1980 eruption of Mount St.
                  Helens
                  unleashed about a quarter of a cubic mile of lava.)
                  The lava from the Siberian Traps sent huge quantities of carbon
                  dioxide and
                  methane (natural gas) into the atmosphere. These greenhouse gases
                  caused an epic
                  spell of global warming. Toxic acid rain drizzled from the sky, and
                  the ozone
                  shield in the atmosphere thinned, letting deadly ultra-violet
                  radiation pass
                  through.
                  As is happening now, the Earth warmed more near the poles than it did
                  at the
                  Equator. The smaller temperature difference slowed the great ocean
                  currents that
                  keep the waters circulating. The oceans stagnated and lost most of
                  their oxygen.
                  Marine plants and animals suffocated.
                  What happened to snuff out life on land is still debated. Some
                  researchers
                  believe that bacteria in the ocean, living on sulfur instead of
                  oxygen, churned
                  out vast quantities of hydrogen sulfide (H2S), a lethal gas with a
                  rotten-egg
                  smell. As the hydrogen sulfide gas emerged from the sea, it choked
                  half of all
                  land creatures.
                  While the evidence points to natural processes on Earth as the
                  culprits in the
                  P-T mass extinction, scientists warn that humans may now be
                  contributing to a
                  repeat.
                  "In the late Permian, Earth itself was the villain, but today we've
                  stepped in
                  as the villain," Kump
                  said. ............ ......... .
                  ............ ..Censored news s.

                  3. World Oceans in Extreme Danger
                  Oceanic problems once found on a local scale are now
                  pandemic. Data
                  from oceanography, marine biology, meteorology, fishery
                  science and
                  glaciology reveal that the seas are changing in ominous
                  ways. A
                  vortex of cause and effect wrought by global
                  environmental dilemmas
                  is changing the ocean from a watery horizon with assorted
                  regional
                  troubles to a global system in alarming distress.
                  The oceans are one, say oceanographers, with currents
                  linking the
                  seas and regulating climate. Sea temperature and
                  chemistry changes,
                  along with contamination and reckless fishing practices,
                  intertwine
                  to imperil the world's largest communal life source.
                  In 2005, researchers from the Scripps Institution of
                  Oceanography
                  and the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory found
                  clear evidence
                  that the ocean is quickly warming. They discovered that
                  the top
                  half-mile of the ocean has warmed dramatically in the
                  past 40 years
                  as a result of human-induced greenhouse gases.
                  One manifestation of this warming is the melting of the
                  Arctic. A
                  shrinking ratio of ice to water has set off a feedback
                  loop,
                  accelerating the increase in water surfaces that promote
                  further
                  warming and melting. With polar waters growing fresher
                  and tropical
                  seas saltier, the cycle of evaporation and precipitation
                  has
                  quickened, further invigorating the greenhouse effect.
                  The ocean's
                  currents are reacting to this freshening, causing a
                  critical
                  conveyor that carries warm upper waters into Europe's
                  northern
                  latitudes to slow by one-third since 1957, bolstering
                  fears of a
                  shut down and cataclysmic climate change. This
                  accelerating cycle of
                  cause and effect will be difficult, if not impossible, to
                  reverse.
                  Atmospheric litter is also altering sea chemistry, as
                  thousands of
                  toxic compounds poison marine creatures and devastate
                  propagation.
                  The ocean has absorbed 118 billion metric tons of carbon
                  dioxide
                  since the onset of the Industrial Revolution, with 20 to
                  25 tons
                  being added to the atmosphere daily. Increasing acidity
                  from rising
                  levels of CO2 is changing the ocean's pH balance. Studies
                  indicate
                  that the shells and skeletons possessed by everything
                  from
                  reef-building corals to mollusks and plankton begin to
                  dissolve
                  within 48 hours of exposure to the acidity expected in
                  the ocean by
                  2050. Coral reefs will almost certainly disappear and,
                  even more
                  worrisome, so will plankton. Phytoplankton absorb
                  greenhouse gases,
                  manufacture oxygen and are the primary producers of the
                  marine food
                  web.






                  --- In All-Energy@yahoogroups.com, "csceadraham" <gcowan@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > --- In http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/All-Energy/message/15367
                  > esbuck@ wrote:
                  >
                  > > If I were a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, I would say that God in
                  > omnipotent
                  > > and benevolent.Therefore, CO2 levels are entirely in accord with
                  His
                  > will, and,
                  > > since He is good, we should not complain but agree that it must be
                  > for the
                  > > best. The Great Dying was just God's way of arranging lots of
                  > fossils for
                  > > future scientists to write dissertations about.
                  > >
                  > > It is noteworthy that, while atmospheric CO2 continues to
                  increase,
                  > NASA and
                  > > the other government agencies which actually measure global
                  > temperatures
                  > > tell us global warming stopped in 1998, and recently the global
                  > temperature has
                  > > dropped 0.7 degree, which puts us back to 1930 in terms of
                  climate.
                  > > "Everybody", including both major candidates for
                  president, "knows"
                  > that global
                  > > warming is a terrible threat, demanding new laws and great
                  > expenditures of other
                  > > people's money. If they are not a bunch of ignorant fools who
                  > disregard
                  > > real-world measurements in favor of the faith of St. Algore, then
                  > the only
                  > > conclusion we can reach is that there is an intergovernmental
                  > conspiracy to lie
                  > > about what they are observing
                  >
                  > More likely one liar/fool -- that would be you --
                  > than a conspiracy of them.
                  >
                  > The theological stupidity has been addressed somewhere
                  > by C.S. Lewis with words something like, "Why wash your
                  > hands? If God wanted your hands to be clean,
                  > He would clean them. Why put on your boots? Why do
                  > anything?"
                  >
                  >
                  > --- G.R.L. Cowan, H2 energy fan 'til ~1996
                  > http://www.eagle.ca/~gcowan
                  >
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.