RE: [All-E] magnet motor,would ratios make it possible to overcome the magnetic stop points?

  • Prune
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2008
      A basic rule of thumb - ask where the energy is coming from.

      A motor, or any other sort of moving device, has to expend energy to overcome friction. Where is that energy coming from? The magnetic wheel stops because it runs out of kinetic energy - the energy has been used overcoming friction. It stops by the "repulsive piece" because that's the point where it needs most energy.

      It's the equivalent of a car that has run out of fuel stopping at the foot of the hill. It's not going to stop half-way down the hill, now, is it? And it's not going to start climbing that hill until you put more fuel in, no matter what gear the car is in.

      Of course you could envisage a device in which extra kinetic energy is stored and gives the wheel a push when it comes to the repulsive piece. But you'll have to give it that extra energy in the first place and the wheel will then stop when that extra energy is used up.

      People have been trying to make perpetual motion machines out of magnets on wheels for hundreds of years (really! - there are records from the middle ages). There is some interesting stuff on the internet about it. But whatever ideas you get, always ask that question - where is the energy coming from?

      Prune

        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2008
          Yes. It would make a great deal more sense to me - I can see the second law of thermodynamics at work all around me but I'm blowed if I'm going to trust a mythical entity.

          Out of curiosity I've just opened my wallet, blown away the dust, shooed out some moths, and glanced at the battered and lonely five pound note in there. As I thought, no religious sentiments on good old sterling and I'm pretty sure that euro notes have no suggestion of obeyance to the supernatural either, but the notes of both currencies do from time to time acknowledge the achievements of scientists, engineers, medics and other prominent contributors to human wellbeing. As is right and proper.

          Presumably the god referred to on the American note (bill?) is Mammon? If not, I don't see the point.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2008
            The "American God" is decided by the loudest preacher. At the moment, it's a toss up between Southern Baptists, Mormons and evangelists (i.e. Pat Robertson).

            Some interpretations are pretty scary too. Google "apocalyptic millenialist" and you'll know what I mean.

            ....but I digress.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2008
              Could magnetism replace gasoline in the piston
              chamber,, using opposite poles to move the pistons,,,
              some sort of artificial energy source say solar can
              provide the electricity to facilitate the magnetic
              force,,, I have been thinking of a number of hybrids
              can't put it all down here but perhaps someone can
              move this one forward a little bit

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Prune
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2008
                No. Gasoline is an energy source, magnetism isn't.

                If you mean using solar power to power an electromagnetic motor it's been done - they race such vehicles across Australia every year.

                If you mean use magnets instead of con-rods, why? where's the gain?

                I see that so often - "I've had this wonderful idea but can't make it work, could someone else take it forward?". Apply for venture capital. Go on Dragon's Den. Get off your butt.

                --- Prune <prune.etna@ntlworld .com> wrote:

                > A basic rule of thumb - ask where the energy is
                > coming from.
                >
                > A motor, or any other sort of moving device, has to
                > expend energy to
                > overcome friction. Where is that energy coming from?
                > The magnetic wheel
                > stops because it runs out of kinetic energy - the
                > energy has been used
                > overcoming friction. It stops by the "repulsive
                > piece" because that's the
                > point where it needs most energy.
                >
                > It's the equivalent of a car that has run out of
                > fuel stopping at the foot
                > of the hill. It's not going to stop half-way down
                > the hill, now, is it? And
                > it's not going to start climbing that hill until you
                > put more fuel in, no
                > matter what gear the car is in.
                >
                > Of course you could envisage a device in which extra
                > kinetic energy is
                > stored and gives the wheel a push when it comes to
                > the repulsive piece. But
                > you'll have to give it that extra energy in the
                > first place and the wheel
                > will then stop when that extra energy is used up.
                >
                > People have been trying to make perpetual motion
                > machines out of magnets on
                > wheels for hundreds of years (really! - there are
                > records from the middle
                > ages). There is some interesting stuff on the
                > internet about it. But
                > whatever ideas you get, always ask that question -
                > where is the energy
                > coming from?
                >
                > Prune

              • lewis frank
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2008
                  Thanks for the dragons den tip.

                  --- Prune <prune.etna@...> wrote:

                  > No. Gasoline is an energy source, magnetism isn't.
                  >
                  > If you mean using solar power to power an
                  > electromagnetic motor it's been
                  > done - they race such vehicles across Australia
                  > every year.
                  >
                  > If you mean use magnets instead of con-rods, why?
                  > where's the gain?
                  >
                  > I see that so often - "I've had this wonderful idea
                  > but can't make it work,
                  > could someone else take it forward?". Apply for
                  > venture capital. Go on
                  > Dragon's Den. Get off your butt.

                • eleni constantinou
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 6, 2008
                    If nothing else it would possibly assist a motor generator run with
                    less input or wind turbine ....