Back to School/Protecting Yourself and Your Children - Community Advisory
- As you and/or your children head back to school on Monday, August 25,
please be safe. Below are some tips to help you get the new school year
off to a good start:
Here are some changes at Takoma Park Elementary School this year:
1. No left turn from parent loop, M - F 8:15 am - 4:00 pm
2. No parking along southeast side of Holly Avenue between parent loop
and Grant Avenue.
3. No Parking, No Stopping School Days, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM on both
sides of bus loop on Holly
Tips to keep you safer:
1. Always let your parents know where you are.
2. Always try to play or walk with friends.
3. Say NO if a stranger offers you gifts or asks you to help find
something, like a lost dog.
4. If anyone, even someone you know, tries to do something that makes
you feel "funny" or unsafe, say NO. And always tell someone you trust
about it, like your parents or a teacher.
5. Never get into a car with a stranger or with someone you don't
6. Never go anywhere with a stranger or with someone you don't trust.
7. Never believe a stranger until you have checked what he or she has
said with someone you trust.
8. Never open the door to a stranger when you are home alone or to
someone you don't trust.
9. Never give any information to a stranger over the Internet or
Hopefully these are a few tips to help you stay safe.
Tips for School Bus Riders:
1. Do not play in the street while waiting for the bus.
2. Carry all loose belongings in a bag or backpack and never reach
under the school bus to get anything that has rolled or fallen beneath
3. Line up facing the bus, not along side it.
4. Move immediately onto the sidewalk and out of traffic after getting
off the bus.
5. Wait for a signal from the bus driver before crossing the street
and walk at least 10 steps away from the front of the bus so that the
driver can see you.
Tips for Pedestrians or Bike Riders:
1. Never walk alone – always travel with a buddy. Try to find a
friend, or make a new friend in the neighborhood to walk to school or
ride the bus with.
2. Wear reflective or bright color clothing to increase visibility.
3. Obey traffic lights and street signs as the law applies to you.
4. Always wear a helmet when riding a bicycle.
5. Avoid loose fitting clothing that could get caught in spokes or
6. Obey all crossing guards for safe crossing.
Tips for Car Drivers and Passengers:
1. Make sure young children are in safety seats at all times, and that
the seats have properly been installed.
2. All children under 13 years should ride in the rear seat of
3. Remember that many crashes occur while novice teen drivers are
going to and from school. You may want to limit the number of teen
passengers to prevent driver distraction. Do not allow your teen to
drive while eating, drinking, or talking/texting on a cell phone.
Have a wonderful and safe new school year!
Catherine E. Plevy
Assistant to the Chief of Police
Public Information Officer (PIO)
Office of the Chief of Police
7500 Maple Avenue
Takoma Park, Maryland 20912
(301) 891-7142 - desk
(240) 338-2901 - cell