A Message from the City Manager - Community Advisory

  • Cathy Plevy
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2014
      I am pleased to report that our Public Works crews have been working around the clock and are making good progress on clearing at least one lane on City roads, paying particular attention to hills. We have five trucks out plowing snow. The crews plan to plow and treat streets this afternoon and then there will be more snow clearing tonight.

      At this point, it is difficult to assess whether the city will be able to collect trash and recycling on Friday. Some amounts of snow, rain, and sleet are forecast to continue this afternoon and into the early evening. For more information on trash and recycling for Friday check the City's website for information Friday morning.

      Throughout the City we see lots of neighbors doing their part by clearing driveways and paths and want to also encourage you to help clear sidewalks and bus stops so that pedestrians can avoid walking or standing in the street, which is very dangerous.

      Please continue to avoid parking on streets if possible. Parking on Maple Avenue between the hospital and Philadelphia Avenue is prohibited, as it is a designated Snow Emergency street.

      If you are on a street with parking on both sides, please park your cars on the odd numbered side of the street later today to allow snow plows to clear the rest of the street tonight. We may not be able to get the full width of streets plowed right away, but your help in allowing room for snowplowing is greatly appreciated.

      If the Federal Government is closed or has a delayed opening on Friday, the City of Takoma Park will also be closed or open late. Information will be posted on our website with current information as it becomes available.

      Again, stay safe and warm today and please only travel if it is absolutely necessary. Thanks.

      Brian Kenner | City Manager
      City of Takoma Park
      7500 Maple Ave.
      Takoma Park, MD 20912
      briank@...
      Office: 301-891-7268

      Catherine E. Plevy
      Assistant to the Chief of Police
      Public Information Officer (PIO)
      Office of the Chief of Police
      7500 Maple Avenue
      Takoma Park, Maryland 20912
      cathyp@...
      (301) 891-7142 - desk
      (240) 338-2901 - cell

      Register NOW for Spring Break Camp. | Registration opens Saturday, March 1 for Summer Camp! | Visit us on ActiveNet for more info!
    • Cathy Plevy
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2014
        The City's Public Works crews have been working since late last night in order to make progress on treating and clearing City streets. Currently, all trucks are out plowing snow. The crews plan to plow and treat streets this afternoon and into the night. Weather forecasts call for the snow to end this afternoon, however, temperatures are estimated to stay below freezing into tomorrow which may cause slick streets and sidewalks. Please stay off the streets unless necessary to allow City crews to do their work.

        Trash collection is anticipated to occur Tuesday, though it will be later than usual, and the future collection schedule should be normal for the remainder of the week.

        Throughout the City, we see lots of neighbors doing their part by clearing driveways and paths and want to also encourage you to help clear sidewalks and bus stops so that pedestrians can avoid walking or standing in the street which is very dangerous. Please do your part during and after these snow storms and shovel the sidewalk in front of your house.

        Parking on Maple Avenue between the hospital and Philadelphia Avenue is prohibited, as it is a designated Snow Emergency street. Please remove your car if you have not already.

        Information will be posted on our website about future conditions with current information as it becomes available. It should be noted the City Council meeting scheduled for Monday March 3rd will be postponed to Tuesday March 4th.