I'm sure you heard about yesterday's tragic fire just outside of Takoma Park. (See article, below.)
There are approximately 20 families displaced by the fire. They building sustained so much damage that people are not allowed back in to recover any of their possessions. They have only what they wore and took with them when they fled the building. Only three of the families had tenant insurance.
As you can imagine they are a bit frantic as they face putting their lives back together. Housing, clothing, food, money, school supplies, furniture, household goods and everything else we take for granted are desperately needed.
The Red Cross and Montgomery County Health and Human Services (HHS) Department are providing emergency support. Adventist Community Services of Greater Washington (ACSGW) is helping as we can to meet the needs. Please consider donating the ACSGW to assist the victims of this terrible fire. We are working in coordination with the Red Cross and HHS to fill the needs.
Please call if you need me to pick up your monetary or other donation, or if you have any questions.
Thank you so much,
PS, Please pass this e-mail on to other listservs on which I may not be a member.
10 hurt, more than 100 displaced after fire at Silver Spring apartment building
By Associated Press, Updated: Wednesday, August 28, 7:15 AM
SILVER SPRING, Md. — Montgomery County fire officials say 10 people were injured and more than 100 people were displaced after a blaze ripped through a Silver Spring apartment building.
The fire burned through the roof of the four-story building at Forest Park Apartments on Tuesday afternoon.
Assistant Fire Chief Scott Graham says seven tenants and three firefighters were taken to local hospitals with injuries that are not thought to be life-threatening. It took nearly 40 firefighters about two hours to contain the blaze at the 18-unit building on Piney Branch Road.
Officials are blaming an electric socket that sparked a mattress fire and estimate damage to the structure at about $1 million and about $500,000 in damage to items inside the apartments.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.