5263Terrorism Awareness for Residents - Community Advisory

  • Cathy Plevy
    Dec 30, 2013
      With New Years Eve approaching, we want to remind residents' how/when to
      report suspicious activities.

      The security of the City of Takoma Park depends greatly on citizen
      involvement. No police department can effectively protect life and
      property without the support and cooperation of the citizens it serves.
      The Takoma Park Police Department needs your help in countering
      terrorism. Much like our Neighborhood Watch Program, we ask you to be
      our eyes and ears. Your reporting of suspicious activity can help thwart
      a terrorist’s criminal intentions.

      Terrorists are trained to “blend in” and assimilate to their
      surroundings. Most terrorist’s acts are well organized and well
      planned. Terrorists will conduct training, surveillance, and “dry
      runs” prior to the commission of a terrorist act. They like to strike
      at government and civilian targets in an effort to instill fear.
      Ironically, though it is the terrorist’s intent to instill fear in
      you, it is you and your vigilance that the terrorist fears most! So, how
      can you assist?

      We need you to:

      ● Remain alert and be aware of everyday activities in your
      neighborhood and the city.
      ● Encourage the involvement of family, friends and neighbors.
      ● Assume responsibility to observe and report activities that appear
      out of place or unusual.

      If you become aware of suspicious activity DO NOT:

      ● Take direct action.
      ● Confront the individual.
      ● Reveal your suspicions.

      If you become aware of suspicious activity DO:

      ● Record as many details as possible.
      ● Notify the appropriate authorities as soon as possible.

      Describing possible events:

      ● Who did I observe?
      ● What specifically did I see?
      ● Where did I observe the suspicious behavior?
      ● When did I observe the suspicious behavior?
      ● Why do I think the behavior is suspicious?

      Ways to improve observation skills:

      ● Employ good listening skills.
      ● Do not let personal feelings interfere with the incident.
      ● Look at the entire situation before making a judgment.
      ● Watch for non-verbal communication signs.
      ● Use feedback to obtain and verify information or observations.
      ● Observe and report by dialing 9 - 1 - 1.
      ● Do not become personally involved.

      Be safe and Happy New Year!

      Catherine E. Plevy
      Executive Assistant
      Public Information Officer (PIO)
      Office of the Chief of Police
      7500 Maple Avenue
      Takoma Park, Maryland 20912
      cathyp@...
      (301) 891-7142

      Fitness Expo - Start Your New Year Off Right! Class Demos, Exhibitors &
      Fun! | January 4, 8 am - 2 pm | Takoma Park Recreation Center (7315 New
      Hampshire Avenue)
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic