Re: [Albertabird] Redpolls

  • wayne lynch
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2003
      Good morning Grahame. The December issue of Birder's World has a great
      horned owl story I wrote for them and I thought you might like to read
      it. If you e-mail me your address, I'll mail a copy of the magazine to
      you. Regarding the children's owl book I told you I was doing with my
      wife, well, it's a tale of delays. The book is written, edited,
      designed etc and waiting since last April to be printed in Singapore.
      It should happen this winter and I haven't forgotten I promised you a
      copy.

      Wayne Lynch

      owleeee wrote:

      > The snow storm this week brought some visitors to my backyard in
      > Bowness (Calgary), a small flock of Common Redpolls, 12-15. They were
      > busy feeding on the cones on the fir trees along with the Red-
      > breasted Nuthatches.
      >
      > I have noticed a large cone crop this year in the Calgary area but do
      > not know how the crop is father to the north. I suspect by the
      > numbers of Nuthatches and perhaps the reports of Redpolls already, we
      > could be in for an invasion year.
      >
      > Excellent! See if we can surpass the 1600+ Redpolls banded over the
      > winter two years ago.
      >

      > Grahame Booth
      > Calgary, AB
      > CWS Permit #10666
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Grahame Booth
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
        I don't have Wayne's personal email address so I am replying thru Albertabird. Sorry folks.

        Thank you for the consideration Wayne. Sorry to here about the problems with the children's book, but still looking forward to seeing it.

        7319 36 Avenue NW
        Calgary, AB
        T3G 4H7

        grahameb@...

        Grahame

      • Douglas Faulder
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 9, 2004
          Hello to all, I should mention that I have lots of redpolls still at my
          feeders, showed up about 2 weeks ago.

          Doug Faulder
          Edmonton

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 20, 2007
            I still have Redpolls coming to my feeder, along with juncos and a
            white-throated sparrow.

            Rick Palindat

            Edmonton

          • tonyblake01
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 20, 2007
              Rick,

              There was a flock of hungry Redpolls at my feeder today too, and like
              you, I've been wondering how much longer they are going to hang
              around.

              I checked the Weaselhead database to see when people stopped
              reporting Redpolls in past years and here is what I found:

              1995/96 Feb.23
              1996/97 Jan.19
              1997/98 Feb.15
              1998/99 Mar.21
              1999/00 May.06
              2000/01 Apr.22
              2001/02 Jun.28
              2002/03 Mar.02 (fewest reports-8)
              2003/04 Apr.17 (most reports-369)
              2004/05 Apr.17
              2005/06 Mar.22

              It's been a good winter to see Redpolls, but I expect they will be
              gone as soon as the weather warms up again. There was also a flock
              of 20 robins huddled under the neighbour's spruce tree that can't
              wait to join them.

              Tony Blake,
              Oriole Park, Red Deer

              --- In Albertabird@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Palindat" <rt_pal55@...>
              wrote:

              > I still have Redpolls coming to my feeder, along with juncos and a
              > white-throated sparrow.
              >

              > Rick Palindat
              >
              > Edmonton

            • Jason Rogers
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 20, 2011
                Heard my first redpolls of the season yesterday (Oct. 19) at the Waterfowl Lakes, Banff National Park.

                Jason RogersBanff, AB
                hawkowl@...

              • Bill Benford
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1 8:59 PM
                  Hi there.
                  Six to 8 Common Redpolls at our feeders today!
                  First we've seen this year. Can't remember seeing any last year.

                  Bill Benford
                  SV of South View at Lake Isle, AB