Langdon Reservoir

  • Andrew Slater
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
      Took a short trip out to the north end early this morning, but could not find an Upland Sandpiper or a Bittern in any of the spots were they have been mentioned. The only shorebird on the fenceposts near the yellow house, east of the first junction, was a snipe.

      However I was surprised to find a Loggerhead Shrike just after turning south off Glenmore Trail, one mile east of Langdon. There were two just-fledged Great Horned Owls on the corral fence at the first junction north of the reservoir, and the Cliff Swallows have now returned to the irrigation canal bridge on the east side, just north of Hwy 22x. This last species seems to be late generally this year. There is now the usual colony on the Glenmore Trail bridge over the Bow, at the north end of Carburn Park, where there were none in the middle of June.

      Andrew Slater

    • Sandy Ayer
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 26, 2003
        How does one get to Langdon Reservoir from Calgary?

        Thanks.

        Sandy

        H. D. (Sandy) Ayer (Mr.)

        Co-Director of Library Services/Archivist

        Canadian Bible College/Canadian Theological Seminary

        630-833 4th Ave. SW

        Calgary, AB

        Canada

        T2P 3T5

        403-410-2947

        Fax 403-571-2556

      • William J. F. Wilson
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 26, 2003
          To get to the south end, drive east on Hwy 22x almost to Hwy 24. Shortly
          after the Langdon turnoff, a few km before Hwy 24, Hwy 22x does a little
          swing south, back east again, north again, and back east again. What it
          is doing is swinging around the south end of Langdon Reservoir. About
          half way along this little zigzag you can see a Ducks Unlimited sign at
          the fence north of the road you're on. This is the parking spot for
          access to the south end of Langdon Reservoir.

          To get to the north end, drive east on Glenmore trail to the town of
          Langdon (or turn north off Hwy 22x to Langdon or go south from the Hwy
          1/Hwy 9 junction), then go east from Langdon a few km to Boundary Road.
          Go straight south on Boundary Road until you get to the access point for
          the north end of Langdon Reservoir.

          Cheers,

          Bill Wilson
          Calgary

          Sandy Ayer wrote:

          > How does one get to Langdon Reservoir from Calgary?
          >

          > Thanks.
          >

          > Sandy
          >

          > H. D. (Sandy) Ayer (Mr.)
          >
          > Co-Director of Library Services/Archivist
          >
          > Canadian Bible College/Canadian Theological Seminary
          >
          > 630-833 4th Ave. SW
          >
          > Calgary, AB
          >
          > Canada
          >

          > T2P 3T5
          >

          > 403-410-2947
          >
          > Fax 403-571-2556

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > click here
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065786:HM/A=1732163/R=0/SIG=11n0nglqg/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=30510&media=zone>

        • Bill Walker
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2004
            It is slowly opening up with waterfowl at both north and south. I had my 1st
            Coots in the north and my 1st Snow Geese in the south. About 60 standing
            along the edge of a lead well out on the west side. Thousands of Pintails,
            hundreds of Mallards and Am. Wigeons and a single male Eur.Wigeon. Lots of
            other stuff too. About 150 swans in a field just to the west Bill

            Please note new e-mail address

            W.H.Walker
            whwalker@...
            Calgary, Alb., Canada
            403-278-7271
          • Andrew Slater
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 26, 2004
              There was a juvenile Sabine's Gull on a large pool at the north end of Langdon Reservoir this morning. There is extensive mud at both ends, with scads of shorebirds. Conservative rough counts this morning were: 535 Lesser Yellowlegs, 440 Long-billed Dowitchers, 52 Stilt Sandpipers, 44 Greater Yellowlegs, 36 Black-bellied Plovers, 18 Pectoral Sandpipers, 16 Sanderlings, 6 Baird's Sandpipers and one American Avocet.

              Andrew Slater, Calgary

            • Dr. W.J.F. Wilson
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 28, 2006
                I spent the last hour of daylight at Langdon Reservoir SE of Calgary
                yesterday evening, hoping to catch sight of the Short-eared Owl that
                Reid Barclay had found there on the weekend. No luck, but a flight of
                nine Sandhill Cranes passing over only 100-200 metres up was sure nice.
                The sun had just set, but it was still very light. They flew off to the
                SSW without landing.

                Good birding

                Bill Wilson
                Calgary
              • Malcolm McDonald
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 28, 2006
                  We were out at Langdon this afternoon, entering by the south side and
                  walking up the west shore where a good number of shorebirds could be seen.
                  We were able to find a SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER, which we watched for about 40
                  minutes before a passing Peregrine Falcon moved everything on towards the
                  east shore and out of sight. Other sightings included about 60
                  Black-bellied Plovers, 3 American Golden-Plovers, ~25 Dowitchers all
                  Long-billed except for a single Short-billed, 2 Bairds, 1 Least and 2
                  Pectoral Sandpipers. The only other excitement was getting my wellies stuck
                  in the mud when I walked to close to the water.

                  Malcolm McDonald

                  Joan & Malcolm McDonald

                  Calgary

                  403 239-3817

                • Bill Walker
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 12, 2007
                    This morning I took 22X east to the southern entrance but found that the water levels were well up and no signs of shorebirds. I decided to try the northern entrance [south from Glenmore 1st road east of Langdon if you are coming from the north] found the gate open and drove 500 m.+ to the east along the dike. An arm of the reservoir comes quite close to the dike here and is just partly flooded with lots of ducks and shorebirds plus a single White-faced Ibis. No new [for me] shorebirds, with 1000 dowitchers, 40-50 Pectoral in bright new plumage, both yellowlegs and a dozen or so Killdeer plus quite distant Black-bellied Plovers from another viewpoint. On the way out there was a Harlan's [Red-tailed] Hawk [white tail] and a dark morph Red-tail [very dark red tail]. No signs of falcons at the reservoir altho ducks flew up in large flocks once or twice. Ditto dowitchers.

                    Bill

                    W.H.Walker
                    whwalker@...
                    Calgary, Alb., Canada
                    403-278-7271

                  • William J. F. Wilson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 20, 2008
                      There was one, lone Snow Goose at Weed Lake this morning, visible
                      through the increasing heat waves, sitting on the far north shore as
                      seen from the south end (Glenmore Trail).

                      Simone Marler was scoping the shorebirds on the mudflats accessible from
                      the south end when I arrived, and between the two of us we found ten
                      species: American Golden-plover (1), Black-bellied Plover (40),
                      Semipalmated Plover (5), Wilson's Snipe (1), Long-billed Dowitcher
                      (about 100 including distant flocks flying around), Greater Yellowlegs
                      (3), Lesser Yellowlegs (30), Sanderling (2), Semipalmated Sandpiper (1),
                      and Baird's Sandpiper (25). Some other birds of interest were
                      Pied-billed, Horned and Eared Grebes, Peregrine Falcon (1 adult) scaring
                      up the shorebirds, Marsh Wren, Common Yellowthroat, Lapland Longspurs
                      flying over, and (seen by Simone) a Vesper Sparrow.

                      Good birding,

                      Bill Wilson
                      Calgary
                    • Blaine Marler
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 21, 2008
                        Not only the Killdeer, but also Semipalmated Plover (4), which were
                        peeking out over mudholes, and keeping company with a couple of
                        Baird's Sandpipers. If it hadn't been for Bill, the Marsh Wren that
                        parked on a reed just behind me would have gone unnoticed. Team
                        effort for sure.

                        Have fun out there.

                        Simone

                        On 20-Sep-08, at 8:27 PM, William J. F. Wilson wrote:

                        > There was one, lone Snow Goose at Weed Lake this morning, visible
                        > through the increasing heat waves, sitting on the far north shore as
                        > seen from the south end (Glenmore Trail).
                        >
                        > Simone Marler was scoping the shorebirds on the mudflats accessible
                        > from
                        > the south end when I arrived, and between the two of us we found ten
                        > species: American Golden-plover (1), Black-bellied Plover (40),
                        > Semipalmated Plover (5), Wilson's Snipe (1), Long-billed Dowitcher
                        > (about 100 including distant flocks flying around), Greater Yellowlegs
                        > (3), Lesser Yellowlegs (30), Sanderling (2), Semipalmated Sandpiper
                        > (1),
                        > and Baird's Sandpiper (25). Some other birds of interest were
                        > Pied-billed, Horned and Eared Grebes, Peregrine Falcon (1 adult)
                        > scaring
                        > up the shorebirds, Marsh Wren, Common Yellowthroat, Lapland Longspurs
                        > flying over, and (seen by Simone) a Vesper Sparrow.
                        >
                        > Good birding,
                        >
                        > Bill Wilson
                        > Calgary

                      • Andrew Slater
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 6, 2009
                          An American Golden Plover was still at the south end of Langdon Reservoir this morning, together with 16 Black-Bellied Plovers, 100 Lesser Yellowlegs, 360 Long-billed Dowitchers and small numbers of Greater Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpipers. The sparrows in the bushes included a Dark-eyed Junco in addition to several of those noted by Hank on May 1, and a single Marsh Wren was still skulking in the reeds.

                          Andrew Slater, Calgary