Park & Keho Lakes

  • Ken Orich
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2013
      This morning Earle Covert and I went birding towards Park Lake PP and Keho Lake. Earle had a good start with a Snowy Owl along Hwy 845 just north of Raymond while he was enroute to Lethbridge to pick me up. A few birds (Northern Flicker, Am. Crow and BB Magpie were seen on the way to Park Lake.
      Park Lake birds included Mallards, American Robins, European Starlings, Common Goldeneye, a pair of Tundra Swans, Canada Geese, Northern Shovelers, Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon, Canvasback, Redheads, Common Mergansers, Lesser Scaup, a pair of Buffleheads, House Sparrows, a Townsend's Solitaire, a Varied Thrush and a pair of Red-tailed Hawks.

      On the way to Keho Lake, another Red-tailed Hawk was spotted.

      Keho Lake had a good complement of the same ducks, but we also picked up Northern Pintails, American Coots, Ring-necked Ducks, Snow Geese, Ring-billed, California and Herring Gulls, our first Ruddy Duck of the year, a lone DC Cormorant, one American Tree Sparrow and a few Horned Larks. The trip home picked up a couple Gray Partidge and some Rock Pigeons.

      Earle ended up with 36 species (Snowy Owl) and 7 new year birds for the day and I ended up with 35 species and 3 new year birds. The morning was cool at 0*C to +1*C, very foggy with a brisk SE wind. A spotting scope was virtually useless.

      Ken
      cell (403) 892-5548
      home (403) 381-2351