Wild Turkey in Calgary...

  • Tim Allison
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2012
      I received a report, yesterday, of a female WILD TURKEY, with accompanying photographs, from a birder visiting from Montréal.  The bird was seen from Pearce Estates, near the westernmost side of the park; but was present on the other side of the river, between Deerfoot and the water.  While I am aware that Turkeys occur regularly, within a relatively short distance South of the city, I had never heard of one within city limits.  Is there a game farm in the area, from which this bird might have escaped; or could it (possibly?) be a wanderer from the Sheep River area?

    • Gus
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2012
        There were up to three Wild Turkeys in the Bow River area of FCPP and further north of Mallard Point about three years ago. Could this be a lone survivor of that population?

        Gus Yaki, Calgary.