two recent birding trips

  • mike mulligan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2001
      The first week of September my wife and I drove to the Malheur National
      Wildlife Refuge area in southern Oregon. Although the refuge itself is in a
      drought condition, we found many of the expected species. The refuge
      headquarters area is a well-known migrant trap. We stayed in a four-room
      hotel in the tiny (pop. 8) community of Diamond and spent a day on the
      Steens Mountain loop, finding many hawks. From there we drove west through
      Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge to Klamath Falls. Our day at Crater
      Lake was cool and scenic, but not very birdy. In the Klamath Lake area we
      found Red-breasted Sapsucker, Chukar, Blue Grouse and Clark's Grebe. I think
      our best sighting was a White-headed Woodpecker spotted from our canoe!

      Last Thursday I flew to Vancouver and joined friends Sharon and Mike Toochin
      on a pelagic trip out of Ucluelet (on the west side of Vancouver Island).
      Only after we were on the boat did Mike tell me that it was the first time
      in five attempts that the trip had not been weather-cancelled. We were able
      to get out 38 miles. Seen were Black-footed Albatross, Northern Fulmar,
      Sooty, Pink-footed and Buller's Shearwaters, Leach's and Fork-tailed
      Storm-Petrels, South Polar Skua (five), Pomarine Jaeger, Black-legged
      Kittiwake, Sabine's Gull (15?), Common Murre, Rhinocerous Auklet, Tufted
      Puffin, and a very lost Blackpoll Warbler. A highlight of our walk the next
      day along the beach was a perched Arctic Tern. Of course, while we were on
      the island a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper was reported at Reifel Bird Sanctuary
      near Vancouver!

      Mike Mulligan
      Calgary
    • cmbb@sk.sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 2001
        We had a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper at a prairie slough in southeast
        Saskatchewan two weeks ago.

        Martin Bailey,

        cmbb@...
        Weyburn, SK., Canada.