***Thought & Humor*** - Oct. 3, 2005 - Please Forward To Your Many Friends

  • Howdy Your-Friend
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005

       Q: Where does a general keep his armies?

                   Answer!!!
                     http://ilovehowdy.blogspot.com/

           Updated frequently during the day!!!

      ***********************

      Riddles:

      1) I walk, but have no legs. I sleep,
      but never dream. You can rock me
      in a cradle, but I am not a babe and
      I can go around the world faster than
      you can cross a room. What am I?

      2) A different fruit is buried in each
      of the following lines.

      Can you spot them? (1/line)

      Ah! If I get my good ship home
      I'll find a tempting rural spot
      Where mayhap pleasant flowers will bloom,
      And there I'll shape a charming cot.

      Where bees sip nectar in each flower,
      And Philomel on hawkthorn rests
      I'll shape a rustic, sun-kissed bower--
      A bower meet for angel guests.

      Then she who lives and loves with me,
      Cheering our days of calm repose,
      Sole monarch of the flowers will be--
      For Myra is indeed a rose.

      3) Mr. Smith left on a trip the day
      after the day before yesterday, and
      he will be back the eve of the day
      after tomorrow. How many days is
      he away?

      Answers:

      ***********************

      Check out this Blog:

      http://ilovehowdy.blogspot.com/

      Updated frequently!!!

      ************************

      Life Imitates Art
      In The Lab

      In H. G. Wells's classic novel THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU, the sole survivor
      of a shipwreck lands on an island filled with human-animal hybrids, like "Leopard-
      Man" and "Swine-Folk." There he discovers Dr. Moreau, a notorious medical
      researcher who was run out of London for his experiments. Though it was science-
      fiction in 1896, Wells's novel is frighteningly close to science today.

      Whereas Moreau used dissection and surgery to create his hybrids, today
      researchers are using in vitro manipulation. Embryonic cells from one species,
      like goats, are inserted into the blastocyst of another, such as sheep. The
      result is a creature, the "geep," possessing characteristics of both species.

      Researchers call these man-made combinations "chimeras," after the mythological
      creature that was part lion, goat, and serpent. And experiments are not limited
      to dumb animals. Researchers have created pigs with "partly human livers" in
      hopes of solving organ transplant shortages. Mice with human cells, including
      brain cells, are used in testing drugs and in Parkinson's research.

      These successes have prompted researchers to think about something involving a
      species closer to humans: chimpanzees. The genetic similarities between humans
      and chimpanzees make the temptation to create such a human-chimp chimera almost
      irresistible. As with cloning and embryonic stem-cell research, advocates
      promise medical miracles if they're allowed to proceed without interference.

      The President's Council on Bioethics disagrees. At its March meeting, it
      discussed the "reasonable boundaries" between "acceptable" research and
      the kind that would amount to "high-tech bestiality."

      In Congress, Senator Sam Brownback (R) of Kansas has introduced a bill that
      would "ban the production of human-animal chimeras." If passed, the United
      States would join Canada in prohibiting this kind of research.

      Even the magazine SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN says that some human-animal chimeras
      "disquietingly blur the line between species." It notes that "no one knows what
      the consequences will be as the proportion of human cells in an animal
      increases."

      One possible consequence is that this "intermingling of tissues could . . . make
      it easier for infectious animal diseases to move into humans. . . . This hopping
      of species barriers can be particularly devastating because the [human] immune
      systems . . . are so unprepared for them." The list of pandemics thought to have
      originated in such "hopping" includes the 1918 flu pandemic that killed at least
      40 million people, and HIV/AIDS.

      But even if the research were safe, we ought to be opposed it. The embryonic
      stem cells needed to produce a chimera can come about only by destroying
      a human life. And the assault on the dignity of life will not stop there. What would
      be the moral status, for example, of the human-animal chimera? Would it be human
      or an animal? The temptation would be animal, of course. And as in Wells's novel,
      man's proclivity to view his fellow creatures as a means to his own ends is
      well-documented.

      The time to stop this travesty is now. Otherwise, something much more precious
      than a ship will be lost: that is, our appreciation of what it means to be
      human.

        Chuck Colson

      ------------

      "BreakPoint with Chuck Colson" is a daily commentary on news and trends from a
      Christian perspective. Heard on more than 1000 radio outlets nationwide,
      BreakPoint transcripts are also available on the Internet. BreakPoint is a
      production of The Wilberforce Forum, a division of Prison Fellowship: 44180
      Riverside Parkway, Lansdowne, VA 20176.

      ===============

                 The Carpenter's Eye

      We had been shopping for the place where God wants us to build the radio studio
      that we desperately needed. And we were looking at a possible location - this big
      barn of a room with a high ceiling and it was totally bare. Well, I saw a big, bare
      room, but not Kasey. No, no, no. He's a carpenter and he started talking about this
      wall here and that partition there; the control room in that corner where the doors
      would be, and how we could soundproof the floor. It was amazing! He was seeing
      all kinds of things in that room that I sure couldn't see! But, then, that's the great
      thing about carpenters!

      I think that's how Jesus looks at you. After all, He's a carpenter, you know. His earthly
      father, Joseph, was one and Jesus grew up with a carpenter's skills - and a carpenter's
      eye to see what someone could become; not just what they are.

      The blueprint is given to us in our word for today from the Word of God, Ephesians 2:10.
      And it's an eye-opener, really, as to who you really are and why you're here. "We are God's
      workmanship." You're no random assembly of molecules. You're a handmade, one-of-a-kind
      masterpiece creation of Almighty God. You may not have been treated like you're that valuable,
      but that's who you really are. And your Creator is the One who says so. Here's what the whole
      statement says, "We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which
      God prepared in advance for us to do."

      When Jesus looks at you, it's like my friend, the carpenter, looking at that empty room. He sees
      what that room could be after his skilled hands are finished renewing it. Jesus knows the master -
      piece you were created to become, the difference you were created to make, the value you are
      created to have. That's what He sees. Maybe other people have only seen the bare room, and
      maybe you've been made to feel pretty worthless, incompetent, unloved, unworthy. But they
      don't see what Jesus sees, what you were born to be.

      And here's why you may have missed knowing how much you're really worth. You're missing the
      One who gave you your worth. You're missing Jesus. The Bible says we have marked up this master -
      piece God made with our self-centered living. God calls it sin, and our sin has built a wall between
      us and the God we were made by and for. So, we're cut off from the One who loves and values us
      the most; so much that He thought you were worth sending His Son to die for!

      And you will never really know how valuable you really are until you open your heart to the One who
      loved you enough to die for you. You and I did the sinning. Jesus did the dying, and you don't have
      to spend one more day away from the One who made you to be a masterpiece. The One who sees you
      through His Carpenter's eye - and sees one He created with His hands, paid for with His blood, and one
      He wants to forgive, restore, and renew.

      But it's your move now. He made His on the cross. Now you have two choices: put your trust in Him to
      be your own Savior from your own sin, or you tell Him, "No thanks, Jesus. I'll just settle for more of the
      same." If you're ready to belong to the One who can love you like no one else ever could, then why don't
      you tell Him that right now. "Jesus, I turn from running my own life. I was never meant to. I want to put my
      life in the hands of the One who gave me my life - in the hands of the One who gave His life for me. Jesus,
      beginning this very day, I am Yours." Your soul is home then and you belong to the One who gave you your
      worth in the first place and who gave everything He had to bring you home to Him. If you want to begin your
      relationship with Him, then I want to send you my booklet about beginning with Him. It's called Yours For Life.
      It's helped a lot of people. I think it might help you. Would you let me know you want it?

      Jesus, the carpenter, sees in you what everyone else has missed, and maybe even you have missed - the person
      you were born to be. And today, He simply waits for your invitation to start making you all you were meant to be.
                                                                         - -   Ron Hutchcraft

      ===============

      I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really
      foolish thing that people often say about Him [Jesus Christ]:
      "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I
      don't accept His claim to be God."

      That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was
      merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would
      not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic --
      on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg --
      or else he would be the Devil of Hell.

      You must make your choice. Either this Man was, and is,
      the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse ....
      You can shut Him up for fool, you can spit at Him and kill
      Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him
      Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing
      nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has
      not left that option open to us. He did not intend to.

                -- From Case for Christianity, by C.S. Lewis

      ===============

      Inviting Sight

      Sitting before the enormous IMAX screen and larger-than-life technology,
      wearing the special glasses that bring the images to three-dimensional
      life, I felt incredibly small.  If you have seen such a film, you know
      that the illusion is powerful.  Certain scenes make it apparent that the
      filmmaker's goal is test your willpower to resist reacting involuntarily
      at the objects seemingly invading your personal space.  The small child
      sitting two seats down from me couldn't resist.  Each time he reached his
      hands out he seemed certain that this time they would come to rest upon
      the object before his eyes.  Had I not been concentrating on keeping the
      air of levelheaded adultness about me, I might have reached out also.

      I left the theater thinking.  There were many different types of people
      who claimed that they saw Jesus alive after his crucifixion.  From the
      tenderhearted to the hardhearted, from the skeptic and the staunch
      disbeliever, to a group of mourning women and frightened disciples,
      appearances of the resurrected Christ were reported by both the childlike
      believer and the composed adult.  The men and women who went to their
      deaths testifying that they saw Christ alive and in their midst were both
      the kind of people who knew enough about Jesus to believe that it was
      possible and the kind of people who knew enough about nature to think
      it was impossible-and yet they believed.

      Maybe you are someone to whom faith comes easy, or perhaps like others
      you have wrestled with belief and doubt, questions and uncertainties.  The
      significance of the wide range of personalities, from Mary Magdalene who
      recognized it was Jesus the moment he spoke her name, to Thomas who
      refused to believe without putting his fingers in Christ's wounds, is that
      the truth and the reality of the resurrection of Christ reached all of these
      people convincingly.  That Jesus really was who he said he was was a
      fact that neither the anxious travelers of Emmaus Road, nor the avowed
      skeptic of the twelve, could deny.

      Yet, many have argued that the reported sightings of the resurrected
      Christ were merely hallucinations; visions that, longing to see, the
      disciples psychologically brought into existence.  There are several
      holes within this theory.  To begin with, hallucinations are individual
      occurrences happening in only one person's mind, and they exist only
      in this personal, subjective context.  The sightings of the resurrected
      Christ happened in groups where everyone claimed to see the same thing.
      Furthermore, hallucinations deal solely with the visual side of sense
      perception.  The other senses, particularly the sense of touch, are not
      employed.  But Thomas stood in front of Christ and was asked to put his
      fingers in the scars.  Had he been hallucinating, Thomas would have left
      with the experience of the child two seats down from me in the theater,
      reaching out only to find his hands and his eyes in disagreement.

      Instead, Thomas, whose name is synonymous with doubt, left convinced.
      And he went on to live a life synonymous to his response to Christ that day.
      With his hands beside the wounds of Jesus, Thomas cried wholeheartedly,
      "My Lord and my God."  Refusing to abandon these words, Thomas was put
      to death, fully certain that Christ was who he said he was: "I am the
      resurrection and the life.  He who believes in me will live, even though
      he dies" (John 11:25).

      For the trusting child and the levelheaded adult, the motley crew of lives
      transformed by the appearance of the resurrected Christ is compelling
      evidence.  They were not hallucinating; they were not speaking of
      resurrection in the spiritual sense.  They were in a room with Jesus after
      he had died and come to life.  As Thomas stared with his hands poised
      to touch, Christ's words to him that day invite us into the picture:
      Blessed is the one who has not seen and yet believes.

             Jill Carattini

      "A Slice of Infinity" is aimed at reaching into the culture with words of
      challenge, words of truth, and words of hope. If you know of others who
      would enjoy receiving "A Slice of Infinity" in their email box each day,
      tell them to
      please call 1-877-88SLICE (1-877-887-5423).

      ===============

      "Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider
      well the main end of his life and studies is to know God and Jesus Christ
      which is eternal life (John 17:3)."

         - - - The Laws and Statutes of Harvard College in 1643

       "All scholars shall live religious, godly, and blameless lives according
      to the rules of God's Word, diligently reading the Holy Scriptures, the
      fountain of light and truth; and constantly attend upon all the duties
      of religion, both in public and secret."

       - - - Two central requirements in Yale College 1745 charter

      ===============

         (Not amalgamated with 'Thought & Humor')

      ===============

      AMERICA ARCHIVED
      http://www.archives.gov/
      This government site offers access to historic documents.
      View the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights.

      ===============

      'Thought & Humor' -  often polemical but
      never tasteless/unrefined/uncouth/ribald.

      ===============

      Please note: If you see a UNC student or liberal reading 'Thought & Humor',
      please explain to them which is thought & which is humor. They usually get it backwards.......

      ===============

      God designed humans to want to believe in something.
      That's the image of God that is in us. But as G. K.
      Chesterton famously put it, when we reject the God
      of the Bible, we don't believe in nothing; we believe
      in everything -- including Little Green Men.

                   - - Chuck Colson

      ===============

      Dear Howdy,

      Thank you for your simply addicting newsletter...it's truly a candidate
      for the 8th wonder of the world and 1st candidate for the cyber-world...
      it just keeps blooming with more of what I need and, I think, what we
      all need...please keep up the great works!!!

      Type atcha later...

      God bless you,

      Phil H
      WI

      ===============

      By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me
      -- a prayer to the God of my life.
              --Psalm 42

      ===============

      Dear Howdy, Indeed I am a faithful Tarheel*, having both
      MA and Ph.D. from their fine chemistry department.
      But that doesn't keep me from getting a great kick out
      of the humor propagated by what appears to me to be
      a pack of wolves!!**

      SERIOUSLY, THE HUMOR IS GREAT FUN BUT MY
      MAIN ATTRACTION WAS TO THE CONSERVATIVE
      MORAL AND POLITICAL STANCE THAT SEEMED
      TO CHARACTERIZE THE FIRST ISSUE I SAW.
      INCIDENTALLY (HE SAYS ACCIDENTALLY!), it was
      sent to me by a friend,  so I really didn't "hear about
      you" at all, and still haven't. All I know is what has
      come in the two issues of the Newsletter I have
      seen. The best to you.

      S. P.

      *Another name for UNC.
      ** UNC's archrival - NCSU.

      ===============

      "I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man.
      All the good from the Savior of the world is communicated to
      us through this book."        -- President Abraham Lincoln

      "For we must consider that we shall be as a City upon a hill.
      The eyes of all people are upon us.  So that if we shall deal
      falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and
      so cause Him to withdraw his present help from us, we
      shall be made a story and a byword throughout the world."
      --John Winthrop, Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1630

      "It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and
      the Bible." - President George Washington

      "The Bible is no mere book, but a Living Creature, with a
      power that <

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)