Re: Another Venus Transit event at UAA

  • puck2017
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2012
      We are planning to shoot off the western edge of the garage, so maybe it won't be as disruptive?

      Loussac is partnering with the American Astronomical Society (meeting in ANC next week) and got some solar glasses from NASA. That's about all I know. I don't think either they or the Museum are advertising.

      Andy

      --- In AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com, Mike C <mike@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm, I wonder who has the best seeing. The massive garage of concrete and
      > pavement may be quite the disruptor? I hadn't heard about the Loussac
      > setup.
      >
      > Mike
      >

      > On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM, puck2017 <afawp1@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > I know it's late notice, but is anyone interested in setting up their
      > > telescope at UAA for the Venus Transit? Or I you don't have your own, we
      > > have a few (some which still need some setup attention) and will need folks
      > > to watch them, keep them pointed, and keep anyone from going blind.
      > >
      > > We are hosting 4 visiting groups from around the US and Mexico, who will
      > > be web casting, recording, or just plain observing the event. We are also
      > > inviting the general public. We are setting up on the top floor of the east
      > > parking garage (adjacent to the ConocoPhillips Integrated Science Building,
      > > which has available power and a clear view of the south and western sky. We
      > > should also have some spare protective equipment (filters, sun funnels,
      > > glasses).
      > >
      > > I know we're coming late to this party, and that Anchorage Museum and
      > > Loussac Library are also hosting events, and you may already be planning to
      > > set up there. But if you like to join us, please let me know.
      > >
      > > Sincerely,
      > > Andy Puckett
      > > UAA Planetarium Director
      > > planetarium@...
      > > 907-786-1838

    • Brett and Tammy Woern
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
        Speaking of last minute... I'd like to come hang out and help where I can contribute.

        Brett

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
          Low clouds starting to break with a few patches of blue sky out at mile 90.2 of the Glenn Hwy. I'll make the call at 10 or 10:30 whether to stay or head north in search of sunnier skies.

          Rich

          Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
              Band of blue skies south Anchorage, especially around flat top. Otherwise broken cloud layer over much of Anch

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: Mike C <mike@...>
              Sender: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 08:34:07 -0800
              To: <AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
                Continuing to clear here 14 miles east of Chickaloon, beneath Anthracite Ridge. Getting distinct, but not quite complete shadows. The lower layer of clouds are burning off more than I expected.

                Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
                    Anchorage clouds are in flux all morning. Currently skies have been improving significantly, with south anchorage being the best.
                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    From: Rich Stromberg <richstromberg@...>
                    Sender: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 09:08:47 -0800
                    To: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com<AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com
                    Cc: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com<AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
                      Sunny skies at Mile 90 of the Glenn

                      Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                    • Tundra Technologies

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
                          Super clear (( SPOTS )) of sky here, currently including the Sun. Probably 70% clear. Also... STABLE great skies !!! This is my first peek at sunspots with the 8" refractor and its currently doing its thing. T minus 40 minutes-ish

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 5, 2012
                                Prognosis for clear skies at 3rd and 4th contact look great here. My recordings for 1st contact are 2:06:40. 2nd contact at 2:23:38.
                                Lat 61 deg 48' 48.8"
                                Lon 148 deg 06' 34.6"

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 6, 2012
                                  Had a great time at UAA.
                                  I set up a Sunspotter, my Sun Gun, and a filtered pair of 20x80 binos.
                                  Had at least two hundred visitors - maybe several times that.
                                  Pretty great weather except for a short cloudy period in the middle -- I'm pretty sunburned.  Go figure - I hoped for sun then stood in it for about 8 hours with no sunscreen.

                                  My favorite part was between 3rd and 4th contact.  We had about 20 random visitors all gathered around my Sun Gun, completely enthralled in watching the last minutes of the transit.  It was a wonderful geeky community moment.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 8, 2012
                                    Hi Folks,

                                    Here are some photos I took while my nephew and I were out at the cabin on Tuesday.

                                    Enjoy!
                                    Rich

                                  • Mike C

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 8, 2012
                                        Nice location, nice setup, nice weather, good company, a one of a kind event and a moose leg!

                                        On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Mike C <mike@...> wrote:
                                        Well

                                        That was awesome.

                                        Thanks!

                                      • Lou Mayo
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 10, 2012
                                          Thanks for your transit pictures, Rich. I'd like to post them on the NASA Transit Flickr page. Would that be OK?

                                          Best,
                                          Lou Mayo
                                          Astronomer To Go
                                          NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 10, 2012
                                            Sure thing.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 14, 2012
                                              Rich,

                                              Those are great pictures! It looks like a wonderful location! I'm pretty jealous of all the pics people have been uploading... I had the wonderful opportunity of working during the transit. =\.

                                              -Mike S.