Re: telescopes

  • swakman59
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
      --- In AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com, Mike C <mike@...> wrote:

      > If your binocs are fixed at 25x, either of these proposed scopes will open a
      > world of possibility by allowing you to choose eyepieces appropriate for the
      > subject of interest.
      >
      > Is the 120st a fast refractor, like f/5 - f/6?

      yes is an f5 and the bino's are fixed
    • swakman59
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
        --- In AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com, Justin McVaney <mcvaneymail@...> wrote:

        > Swakman59, I have an 8" Orion Skyview Pro EQ for sale right now. I have
        > moved on to a different telescope which is more suitable for amateur
        > research, however this is the scope I learned on. I really enjoy the 8" of
        > aperture. So long as the seeing was favorable I was always able to locate
        > what I was looking for, whether galaxy, nebula, or planet (I typically
        > stayed below Mag 10). This scope has been an exceptional "all around
        > telescope". It does have a dual axis tracking motor which is not the same as
        > GOTO, however I would not recommend GOTO to anyone who wants to get to know
        > the sky (which is part of the fun). I know it is easy to take my opinion as
        > bias, however it truly has been a good scope to learn with.
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > P.S. I live in Wasilla and work in Anchorage. If you would like to get
        > together to look through the scope sometime that's fine. Even if you don't
        > end up wanting to buy it, it would be good to look through a few scopes so
        > you know about what you're getting when you decide.
        >
        > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM, swakman59 <swakman59@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I want to bye a good all around telescope. been looking at a nexstar 6se
        > > and a refractor skyview 120st can anybody tell me if i'm on the right track?
        > > been looking for a long time. just want to get the best bang for the buck. I
        > > look at the stars now with my 25x100 bino's just want to see more stuff..

        thanks that would be great. and I agree about the goto sys.to learn about the sky I got this free program off the net. for that stellarium
      • Thomas Tyler
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
          Let's get together Friday night at the ERNC for a star party.  There is no presentation but it's suppose to be clear.  I know that's 4 days away, but if the forecast stays the same, I'd be interested.
          Any takers???

          To: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2011
            If weather is clear and there is a star party, we will be there. 9 year old boy, Mom/ Dad, and a Celestron C4.5. Celestron is new to us and we need to buy more eyepieces, but we haven't yet. If there isn't a star party, that is OK too. Thanks.

            --- In AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Tyler <t-tyler@...> wrote:

            > Let's get together Friday night at the ERNC for a star party. There is no presentation but it's suppose to be clear. I know that's 4 days away, but if the forecast stays the same, I'd be interested.
            > Any takers???
            >
            > To: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com
            > From: mcvaneymail@...
            > Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:54:10 -0900
            > Subject: Re: [AlaskanAstronomy] telescopes

            > Swakman59, I have an 8" Orion Skyview Pro EQ for sale right now. I have moved on to a different telescope which is more suitable for amateur research, however this is the scope I learned on. I really enjoy the 8" of aperture. So long as the seeing was favorable I was always able to locate what I was looking for, whether galaxy, nebula, or planet (I typically stayed below Mag 10). This scope has been an exceptional "all around telescope". It does have a dual axis tracking motor which is not the same as GOTO, however I would not recommend GOTO to anyone who wants to get to know the sky (which is part of the fun). I know it is easy to take my opinion as bias, however it truly has been a good scope to learn with.
            >
            > Justin
            > P.S. I live in Wasilla and work in Anchorage. If you would like to get together to look through the scope sometime that's fine. Even if you don't end up wanting to buy it, it would be good to look through a few scopes so you know about what you're getting when you decide.
            >

            > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM, swakman59 <swakman59@...> wrote:

            > I want to bye a good all around telescope. been looking at a nexstar 6se and a refractor skyview 120st can anybody tell me if i'm on the right track? been looking for a long time. just want to get the best bang for the buck. I look at the stars now with my 25x100 bino's just want to see more stuff..

          • Justin McVaney
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
              Hi Tom,

              If the weather holds out I'll plan on being there. Hopefully my new 2" 30mm 80* FOV ep will be in by then an I'll be able to do some side by side with your 31mm Nagler in the 12" if you don't mind?

              Swakman59,

              I'll plan on bringing my 8" Skyview Pro with me so you can have a view through a few different scopes.

              Justin

              To: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2011
                Sounds good Justin,
                so far so good on the weather outlook.
                We need to talk Mike into coming and giving us some photography lessons.  I think I have everything but the know how!

                To: AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2011
                  Tom, I'd sure like to meet Mike and learn the basics. I need to know how to take pictures before I can start anything related to differential photometry. What time are you thinking for Friday?

                  Justin