Re: Venus Transit June 5, 2012, invitation to come to Hawai'i.

  • rpellessier
    Message 1 of 18 , May 14, 2010
      Chris-

      Thanks! Staci and I plan on observing the transit somewhere tropical, but we're not sure where it will be. If we don't do it with you, and if your group has a few veterans from 2004, I'll send the little surfer dude transit mascot to you. We need to ensure he's the first Happy Meal trinket to view two transits in history. And he may as well be with as many of his Barrow buddies as possible.

      Nice planning letter!

      Can I ask you to make a preliminary sunset survey on the correct date in 2010 and determine if the predicted egress point is above the horizon?

      -Rich
    • Christopher Erickson
      Message 2 of 18 , May 14, 2010
        I think a sunset survey on 5/5/2010 at the VIS sounds like
        an excellent idea. And maybe do the summit on 5/4 or 5/6 to
        confirm an optimal summit location as well as the timing there
        as well. As well as one at my house and one at the beach.

        I might even do video in h-alpha as a test at each location.

        It sure would be fun to get as much of the TOWTOVE group back
        together as possible, plus a few new/old faces, like Brett's!

        It is sad that Jeff Medkeff has passed away and won't be able
        to join us this time. He may have had a bit of a dark side
        but I have to say that he was one of the smarter and more
        interesting people to talk to that I have ever met and I will
        deeply miss not having him along. Maybe Jeff's wife would be
        interested in sending some small memento of Jeff's along on
        the expedition.

        Maybe this expedition needs a title...

        TOHTOVE (Top Of Hawaii Transit Of Venus Expedition)

        -or maybe-

        TOVTOVE (Top Of the Volcano Transit of Venus Expedition)

        -or maybe-

        AIPTOVE (Alaskans In Paradise Transit of Venus Expedition)

        Suggestions welcome!

        -Chris

      • scottupnorth
        Message 3 of 18 , May 15, 2010
          Hi Chris,

          Thanks for the invite. I am planning to go someplace for the transit. My sights are set on Hawaii or Darwin, Australia. This would be integrated into a family trip......"whether they like it or not, they will look through the telescope and see Venus on the sun"....

          Finances will be the driving force here but I would sure like to visit with you and get together with any of the TOWTOVE team and any others.

          Take care in paradise,
          Scott

          --- In AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Erickson" <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > the equator and a huge suite of celestial objects that are NEVER visible from
          > Alaska! Eta Carinae, Omega Centauri and the Southern Cross will be visible.
          > And since twilight is very short at 19 degrees North Latitude, we are usually
          > observing faint fuzzies by 7:30pm, even in the summer. This means planning to
          > arrive just a day or two before the transit and then planning to spend a week or
          > two total might give you the best of all worlds in terms of the Venus transit,
          > stargazing, volcanoes, tropical paradise, sunbathing, snorkeling, SCUBA diving,
          > etc. There are about a dozen awesome snorkeling and beach diving sites in the
          > immediate area.
          >
          > If anyone from Alaska is interested in making the trek to Hawai'i to join me
          > here for the transit, that would be awesome! My air-conditioned 4WD van has
          > eight seat belts and I currently have seven operational telescopes from a 40mm
          > h-alpha to my 16" SCT. And there are a handful of monster dobs in the
          > neighborhood that make my 16 look like a finder scope. We also have two spare
          > bedrooms and two additional living room hide-a-beds for any intrepid world
          > travelers. Not to mention lots of room for air mattresses and sleeping bags
          > (and three bathrooms!) And if we are *really* in luck, we will have lots of
          > ripe apple bananas and ice cream bananas in the back yard. Both are much
          > sweeter and tastier than the typical Cavendish bananas you find in mainland
          > grocery stores.
          >
          > Hopefully there is enough non-astro stuff to be found here in Hawaii that even
          > the most ardent non-astro spouse can be enticed to come along. There is a great
          > travel guide called "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" from Wizard Publications
          > that I highly recommend:
          >
          > http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigisland.html
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098146100X?ie=UTF8&tag=wizardpublicatio&linkCod
          > e=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=098146100X
          >
          > I expect Hawai'i to be a popular location for viewing the Venus transit. Plane
          > tickets, hotel rooms and rental vehicles *might* become hard to reserve during
          > the last three to six months before the event. Not quite as big of a deal as a
          > total solar eclipse but then again who knows. Certainly not a big deal if you
          > choose to stay with us. If you plan to come for more than a week and have a
          > spouse in tow, I would probably suggest getting your own rental vehicle so you
          > can go explore the island according to your own schedule for optimal
          > spouse-points. Bedrooms reserved for couples on a first-call, first-reserved
          > basis.
          >
          > And the Paradise Grill in the Queen's Court Plaza has the most AWESOME kalua pig
          > pizza. Kalua pig is ultra-lean pork, rubbed with Hawai'ian sea salt and liquid
          > smoke, wrapped in banana leaves and then traditionally slow-roasted in an ember
          > pit of hot lava rocks. Sounds strange but man-oh-man, it rocks!

        • Christopher Erickson
          Message 4 of 18 , May 15, 2010
            It would be so cool to have you guys come stay with us!

            -Chris

          • rpellessier
            Message 5 of 18 , May 18, 2010
              It definitely needs a title!

              TOWTOVE2 - Top Of Waikoloa TOVE (numbah 2)
              TOWTOVE2 - The Over Water TOVE (numbah 2)
              TOWTOVE2 - This One's Warmer TOVE (numbah 2)
              TIALTOVE - Two In A Lifetime TOVE
              SASTOVE - Shorts and Sandals TOVE
              MOWTOVE - Middle Of the World TOVE
              COWTOVE - Center Of the World TOVE
              MnMTOVE - Mangos not Muktuk TOVE
              MOLOTOVE - Mind Our Lava Observers TOVE
              WARMTOVE - We Aren't Really Madmen TOVE
              HARMTOVE - Hydrogen Alpha Remote Mountain TOVE

              and for the 2012 Superstitious,

              TEWTOVE - The End of the World TOVE

              How many more do you want?

              -Rich

              --- In AlaskanAstronomy@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Erickson" <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

              > Maybe this expedition needs a title...
              >
              > TOHTOVE (Top Of Hawaii Transit Of Venus Expedition)
              >
              > -or maybe-
              >
              > TOVTOVE (Top Of the Volcano Transit of Venus Expedition)
              >
              > -or maybe-
              >
              > AIPTOVE (Alaskans In Paradise Transit of Venus Expedition)
              >
              > Suggestions welcome!
              >
              > -Chris

            • Christopher Erickson
              Message 6 of 18 , May 19, 2010
                Too funny!!!

                I especially like "MnMTOVE - Mangos not Muktuk TOVE"

                I should also add that any time that any Alaskan Astro nuts want to come over
                and visit for a while, you are certainly invited! Don't have to wait for a
                transit of Venus! We have awesome night skies most all of the time!

                -Chris