124CNN: Monicagate Testimony of Akin's Jordan

  • Al Giordano
    Dec 17, 2000
      http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/02/05/deposition.highlight
      s/

      Vernon Jordan's testimony
      Rep. Asa Hutchinson (R-Arkansas), the House managers who conducted
      the questioning, asked presidential friend and lobbyist Vernon Jordan
      about the law firm he works for, Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer and Feld:
      Jordan. We have about 800 lawyers, yes.
      Hutchinson. Which is an incredible number for lawyers from someone
      who practiced law in Arkansas. How do all of those lawyers--
      Jordan. We have some members of our law firm who are from Arkansas,
      so it's not unusual for them.
      Hutchinson. And how is it that you are able to obtain enough business
      for 800 lawyers?
      Jordan. I don't think that's my entire responsibility. I'm just one
      of 800 lawyers, and that is what I do in part, but I'm not alone in
      that process of making rain.
      Hutchinson. When you say "making rain," that's the terminology of
      being a rainmaker?
      Jordan. I think even in Arkansas, you understand what rainmaking is.

      Jordan describes his impression of Monica Lewinsky:
      Hutchinson. During the course of the meeting with Ms. Lewinsky, what
      did you learn about her?
      Jordan. Uh, enthusiastic, quite taken with herself and her
      experience, uh, bubbly, effervescent, bouncy, confident, uh--
      actually, I sort of had the same impression that you House managers
      had of her when you met with her. You came out and said she was
      impressive, and so we come out about the same place.

      Jordan gives his impressions of Lewinsky's feelings toward the
      president:
      Hutchinson. And did she--from your conversation with her, did you
      determine that in your opinion, there was a fascination on her part
      with the President?
      Jordan. No question about that.
      Hutchinson. And I think you previously described it that she had
      a "thing" for the President?
      Jordan. "Thing," yes.
      Hutchinson. And did you make any specific inquiry as to the nature of
      the relationship that she had with the President?
      Jordan. Yes. At some point during that conversation, I asked her
      directly if she had had sexual relationships with the President.
      Hutchinson. And is this not an extraordinary question to ask a 24-
      year-old intern, whether she had sexual relations with the President
      of the United States?
      Jordan. Not if you see--not if you had witnessed her emotional state
      and this "thing," as I say. It was not.
      Hutchinson. And her emotional state and what she expressed to you
      about her feelings for the President is what prompted you to ask that
      question?
      Jordan. That, plus the question of whether or not the President at
      the end of his term would leave the First Lady; and that was alarming
      and stunning to me.

      Lewinsky testified that she told Jordan of her "phone sex"
      conversations with Clinton, but Jordan testifies that he cannot
      recall that disclosure:
      Hutchinson. Let me go on. Did Ms. Lewinsky tell you that she and the
      President had had phone sex?
      Jordan. I think Ms.--I know Ms. Lewinsky told me about, uh, telephone
      conversations with the President. If Ms. Lewinsky had told me
      something about phone sex, I think I would have remembered that.
      Hutchinson. And therefore, if she testifies that she told you that
      Ms. Lewinsky and the President had phone sex, then you'd simply deny
      her testimony in that regard?
      Jordan. I--
      David Kendall: Object to the form.
      Jordan. I have no recollection, Congressman, of Ms. Lewinsky telling
      me about phone sex--but given my age, I would probably have been
      interested in what that was all about.

      In his grand jury testimony, Jordan denied that he met with Lewinsky
      at Washington's Park Hyatt hotel on December 31. When confronted with
      a breakfast meeting, Jordan said he still could not recall the
      meeting but didn't deny that it took place. Hutchinson questions
      Jordan about that receipt:
      Hutchinson. And this receipt, is this a receipt for a charge that you
      had at the Park Hyatt on December 31st?
      Jordan. That's an American Express receipt for breakfast.
      Hutchinson. And is the date December 31st?
      Jordan. That is correct.
      Hutchinson. And does it reflect the items that were consumed at that
      breakfast?
      Jordan. It reflects the items that were paid for at that breakfast.
      [Laughter.]

      There was a dispute between Jordan and Lewinsky's testimony over
      notes that the former intern had written to the president. Lewinsky
      said a remark Jordan made at the December 31 breakfast gave her the
      impression that she should get rid of the notes. Jordan denies that
      he suggested Lewinsky destroy the notes:
      Hutchinson. And did you make a statement to her, "Go home and make
      sure they're not there"?
      Jordan. Mr. Hutchinson, I'm a lawyer and I'm a loyal friend, but I'm
      not a fool, and the notion that I would suggest to anybody that they
      destroy anything just defies anything that I know about myself. So
      the notion that I said to her go home and destroy notes is
      ridiculous.
      Hutchinson. Well, I appreciate that reminder of ethical
      responsibilities. It was--
      Jordan. No, it had nothing to do with ethics, as much as it's just
      good common sense, mother wit. You remember that in the South.
      Hutchinson. And so--and let me read a statement that she made to the
      grand jury on August 6th, 1998. This is the testimony of Ms.
      Lewinsky, referring to a conversation with you at the Park Hyatt
      that, "She," referring to Linda Tripp, "was my friend. I didn't
      really trust her. I used to trust her, but I didn't trust her
      anymore, and I was a little bit concerned because she had spent the
      night at my home a few times, and I thought--I told Mr. Jordan. I
      said, 'Well, maybe she's heard some'--you know, I mean, maybe she saw
      some notes lying around, and Mr. Jordan said, 'Notes from the
      President to you?,' and I said, 'No. Notes from me to the President,'
      and he said, 'Go home and make sure they're not there."'
      Jordan. And, Mr. Hutchinson, I'm saying to you that I never heard the
      name "Linda Tripp" until I read the Judge--Drudge Report. Secondly,
      let me say to you that I, too, have read Ms. Lewinsky's testimony
      about that breakfast, and I can say to you, without fear of
      contradiction on my part, maybe on her part, that the notion that I
      told her to go home and destroy notes is just out of the question.