GAME TURN VI Early March 1851

  • lionsden112002
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
      The Intrepid Aeronaut
      GAME TURN VI Early March 1851
      All the News in fits of print from the Corners of the Globe
      Featuring Up to Date Travelers' Advisories and Communiqués from Posts both Near
      and Far News in this Issue covers the week of January 4th, 2010
      Sky Lions has upped the retirement requirement for Aeronauts.
      As the career of the esteemed airship captain GM Cline has proven, the world is
      ripe for adventure and to retire at a mere 20 VP seems premature. GM Cline in a
      heliogrpahed message to this office has declared that "he has many good years
      ahead of him and could captain a skyship in his sleep!" Therefore, we will use
      the following scale of points to see when it is worthy of an airship captain to
      hang up his goggles and retire.

      Airship Adventures Aeronaut Game Scale for Aeroship Captains.
      20 point Journeyman Aeronaut
      40 points Master Aeronaut
      60 points Renowned Aeronaut
      80 points Sky Lion!

      The race is still on however the finish line has moved and come into a better
      focus on our career paths as Intrepid Sky Lions.

      Your complete patience as this game develops is more than greatly appreciated by
      your humble GM.

      Mission Phase: Valid targets of intervention for the week of
      January 4th, 2010
      Missions with more than one mention may be doubled up and use modifiers of both
      categories.

      Self created Missions to include: Repair, Recruit,
      Repair: To initiate this mission require three of the seven listed crew.
      Aeronaut, Scientist, Naval Officer, Engineer, Inventor, Mechanic, Navigator
      Roll a 1D100 and a Success yields = May add one attachment randomly drawn roll a
      1D30 and reference the attachment chart.

      Recruit: Use Diplomacy modifier. Roll 1D100. May add one crew randomly drawn if
      you achieve a "Total Success".
      Roll a 1D30 and randomly add your crew from the list.
      Home Base modifiers +10 if moored at home port for repair and recruit.

      Current Global news from the territories:

      3.1.49 Diplomatic, entertain, North Africa

      2.6.32 Exploration, Collect Zoological,botanical, geological,aquatic,
      volcanic samples, Mongolia

      4.5.91 Transport, politician, Central America

      6.1.44 Speed race, monoplane, Ural.

      4.6.13 Transport, Pick up person, South Pacific

      1.3.89 Military, Intervention, Eastern United States

      2.2.77 Exploration, Expedition forming in Quebec

      2.6.12 Exploration Collect ZBGAV, North Pacific

      4.5.93 Transport a politician, Venezuela

      4.6.54 Transport, artifact, East Africa

      2.2.57 Exploration, expedition, South Africa

      6.6.81 Speed, perishable food delivery, Alberta

      5.5.56 Rescue, animals, Congo

      4.4.73 Transport, garrison, Iceland!! repeat

      5.3.14 Rescue,Explorer, South Pacific

      6.4.74 Speed race,train, Iceland

      4.3.98 Transport, food, Brazil

      4.3.37 Transport, food, Yakutsk

      4.5.54 Transport, political disadent, East Africa

      2.6.35 Exploration, Collect ZBGAV, Irkutsk

      Travel Phase: Current barometric pressure and wind speeds at your
      location. Heliographed instantly from around the globe. You can always rely on
      an accurate and favorable forecast when you consult the Aeuonauts companion.
      Brought to you by The Intrepid Aeuronaut.
      Player 1 Wind Speed 84.74
      Player 2 Wind Speed 88.12
      Player 3 Wind Speed 48.100
      Player 4: Wind Speed 23.75
      Player 5: Wind Speed 11.50
      Player 6: Wind Speed 49.74
      Player 7: Wind Speed 63.10
      Player 8: Wind Speed 24.79
      Player 9: Wind Speed 21.68
      Player 10: Wind Speed 95.43
      Player 11: Wind Speed 19.81
      Player 12: Wind Speed 22.69

      Additional posts
      There will be an Aeroship Regatta in London in Late April 1851. The Intrepid
      Aeronaut is offering a First Prize of 1 additional Crewman (Mechanic) and 1
      Additional Attachment of (Rockets M+2, S+2). Second Prize will be a set of
      Avionics Industries Propellers S+4. Third Prize will be a set of Bellerophon
      Silks Sails S+4. Aeroship captains must be in territory in Late April 1851 in
      Great Britain to be eligible for the event. It will occur as the first movement
      of that week and all participants will turn in to the GM a SPEED die roll of 1 D
      100 augmented with whatever you currently have on board for SPEED. The reace
      takes place entirely within the territory of Great Britain. You will have your
      second half of the week's turn after the race.

      Clear skies captains!

      Welcome to any new recruits that join us in this adventure.

      GM
    • Ted C.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
        Fleur-de-lis
        Early March, 1851
        Captain Jean Luc Baptiste

        3/3/51 - We received the missive from Dr. Darwin to meet him in Mexico City to deliver the scientific 'goods' to his receptive arms.  We set off for Central America with favorable winds, but added the Steam Engine's power to further aid the process.

        3/6/51 - We docked the Fleur to an aerial mast in Mexico City.  After meeting with Dr. Darwin's envoy of porters and assistants, offloading the various flora, fauna and mineral samples and receiving our pay, we headed to investigate the Intrepid Aeronaut's mission '4.5.91 Transport, politician, Central America'.  What we found was quite a pleasant change of pace.  Sr. Julio Francesco Alvarez, a Mexican emissary, was needing transport from Mexico City to the British-controlled frontier area nominally called Rupert's Land (Alberta).  Where we will land, I do not know, as a majority of the area is uncut timberland punctuated by the occasional fort or trading lodge.  Sr. Alvarez is adamant about landing at Ft. Edmonton, a fur trading hub for the Hudson's Bay Company, where he is slated to meet with the HBC Deputy Governor of the region concerning trade between the two nations (Mexico and England).   We set sail that evening with good winds and high hopes...

        3/11/51 - Damn that fool Alvarez!  What kind of idiot schedules a prolonged aerial flight when they have acute vertigo?  If that wasn't bad enough, why did the imbecile insist on taking his exercise outside his room every day?  We hit a spot of crossing air currents caused by the abutment of two weather fronts just north of Kansas City.  This in itself was not a problem, by Alvarez was 'taking air' at the time.  Whoever heard of trying to complete calisthenic exercises with their eyes closed?!  Needless to say, his screams were heard nearly the entire time he plummeted to his death.  I daresay he passed out right before he hit the ground.  Now, instead of triumphantly disembarking a Mexican ambassador at Edmonton, I had to Heliograph the Mexican government with the unfortunate incident.  I swear this is the very last time I take on a political transport mission!  ( rolled a modified 10, losing 2 VP.  My current total is 5).

        3/12/51 - We landed near Ft. Edmonton, hearts heavy.  We contacted Ft. Edmonton's highest ranking official and he begrudgingly handed us information for our next mission.  We were to fly to Ft. Brisebois (modern-day Calgary) and pick up perishable foodstuffs headed to Quebec.  Since Quebec's our home port and we were the quickest way to transport the food before it spoiled, we 'won' the mission.  When I asked to whom the food would go and why the rush, I was informed that the food, freshly killed Grizzly Bear, was wanted by none other than James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin and 12th Earl of Kincardine, Governor General of the Province of Canada!  The food was needed for a huge celebration of the 2nd anniversary of Quebec's implementation of Baldwin and LaFontaine's Reformist 'responsible government' plan.   We set off, hearts now singing with the hopes that this mission would be successful and we could impress our own people!

        3/14/51 - We sped successfully to Ft. Brisebois and were able to load the ice-packed bear meat into our Cargo Bay without incident (modified roll of 70).  While waiting for the foodstuff to be loaded, Willy Wannstedt, our Aeronaut, found some excellent laboratory equipment (attachment roll of 10).  Evidently there was a scientist that had recently died from exposure while staying at the fort.  His equipment was sitting without purpose in his former laboratory.  His loss; our gain.  Long bemoaning the lack of proper facilities to execute his experiments and calculations, Willy requested that we also take on the equipment.  To our delight, the fort's leader agreed...for a cost of nothing but news from around the world!  We hope for favorable winds to speed us to Quebec.  The Heliograph is starting to emit the latest from the Intrepid Aeronaut...

        --- In Airship_Adventures_Sky_Lions@yahoogroups.com, "lionsden112002" <kenneth_vanpelt@...> wrote:

        > The Intrepid Aeronaut
        > GAME TURN VI Early March 1851
        > All the News in fits of print from the Corners of the Globe
        > Featuring Up to Date Travelers' Advisories and Communiqués from Posts both Near
        > and Far News in this Issue covers the week of January 4th, 2010
        > 4.5.91 Transport, politician, Central America
        >
        > 6.6.81 Speed, perishable food delivery, Alberta

        > Travel Phase: Current barometric pressure and wind speeds at your
        > location. Heliographed instantly from around the globe. You can always rely on
        > an accurate and favorable forecast when you consult the Aeuonauts companion.
        > Brought to you by The Intrepid Aeuronaut.

        > Player 4: Wind Speed 23.75
      • lionsden112002
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2010
          Game Turn VI.
          Early March 1851
          Captain Gresham Matthias Cline Commanding

          We have set sail on a very favorable wind (84) to the Ural Mountain Range and have been invited to the Aero Carnival de Kazahk, to race against a variety of air contrivances. Our fiercest competitor appears to be a monoplane owned by a cocky little French bastage named Monsieur de Villiot. We shall generate our speed roll and add our modifiers and then we shall also generate a roll for the competitor as this is the manner in which air races will be decided in the Great Great Britain Air Regatta contest.
          Monoplane's typically consist of the modifiers for wings +4, propeller +4 and in some instances an aeronaut could add an additional +4 modifier.
          A mystery ship is also entered in the race and we have not seen it yet – just heard rumors of its competitive nature.
          The day of the race:
          Roll up The White Cloud: 101
          Monoplane: 105
          Mystery ship: 114

          And the winner is: The mystery ship with a 114 and in fact we came in third. And yet the day was not a total loss as we have successfully demonstrated the power of the airship and have a score of 101 to compare in our mission success chart. In this instance we will not take the success roll. Nor any of the rewards as we were soundly trounced by the prickish little French bastage!!

          We sail 74 two additional territories to Scandinavia and await the late March turn.

          GMC

        • jovanpe@att.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
            Airship -- The Incredibly Lighter than Air Mammoth Balloon Aeronautical Conveyance with Outlandish Weaponry -- ILAM BACOW or "The Bad-Ass Cow"

            Owner -- Sultan Sheik Turban XXXVII, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

            Captain: The Most Excellent Scavenger of the Skies and Purveyor of Fine Fruits, Sir I.M. Wetinmybritches

            Captain's Log Early March 1851

            The day before our planned departure for Petersburg with Brullov, his symptoms worsened. He was coughing up the most hideous gobs of phlegm I have ever seen in my life. The colors resembled an abhorrently macabre version of a kaleidoscope I had once seen that was created by the famous Scottish inventor, David Brewster, a passenger of mine early in my career and a fine fellow indeed.

            Doctors said they thought Brullov must be suffering from a severe bronchial disease. One doctor, Dr. Warloff, believed that a rare fungi, Illustriousian Fungicidian -- better known as the "Illustrated Fungi," because it looks as if small paintings have been imprinted on its surface – could help. Warloff thought that if the Illustrated Fungi was ground into a powder and inhaled by Brullov, it would help clear up his lungs.

            I was skeptical of this, but Brullov was all for trying it and pleaded for our assistance. Warloff said the fungi grew in the northeastern region of Irkutsk, so we did not even have to travel far to find it. I said it would be done and we went right out to retrieve the fungus.

            While finding the fungi and delivering it back was not a problem (a roll of 30 + 12 = 42, a successful mission, gain 2 VP, total now at 17), the powdered version did nothing to relieve Brullov's symptoms.

            Warloff was completely bewildered and befuddled, dumbfounded that the powder had failed to help (in fact, Brullov seemed much worse off). But, while I was starting to think Warloff was nothing but a charlatan, Brullov put all his hope in him.

            "If you travel to Mongolia, you will still be able to find Siberian tigers there," Warloff said to me within earshot of Brullov. "Many believe that eating the paw of a Siberian tiger has many curative properties."

            "I don't believe such nonsense and I will have no part in it," I vehemently replied. "I think you, sir, make a mockery of medicine."

            Between coughing fits, Brullov begged me to reconsider. "Please, my friend, do this for me. I know it might seem as if we are `grasping at straws' as your people say, but it gives me hope."

            Despite my trepidation, I could not deny the man hope. So, on winds of 48 knots, we traveled back to Mongolia in search of a Siberian tiger.

            Due to the overhunting of Siberian tigers, it was harder to find the paw of one then I expected. Finally, we traveled to Ulan Bator, the capital of Mongolia, where there was a gigantic market. The last time I had been there, I was amazed at all the items up for sale. While I did not remember seeing any tiger paws, perhaps they were there. Luckily, we were able to find one and purchased it for 2,000 wu.

            With a strong wind at our back (100) we made great time getting back to Irkutsk. I walked into Brullov's room with the tiger paw, caught completely unaware by what was about to happen.

            "You American idiot," Warloff yelled. "How stupid are you? Is there anything you know about besides airships?"

            I was flabbergasted. I did not know what to say to such an outburst. I had no idea what has so enraged Warloff. I stood there mute as he continued to berate me.

            "You let yourself be bamboozled," he scoffed. "Fool. You are a fool. They saw you coming from a mile away. This is not the paw of a Siberian tiger. It is the paw of a Caspian tiger. It is of no use to us at all. This man will probably die now because of you," he huffed as he walked out the door.

            I looked over at Brullov and was overwhelmed by sadness at the stricken look on his face. Our mission to Mongolia had been the first setback I had ever experienced (a failure on a roll of 1 + 12 = 13, lose one VP – down to 16). Who knew my first failure might cost a man his life?

            "I will not allow this to happen Brullov," I said. "I will make this right. The wind is blowing strong right now. We'll get you back in the air now and be on our way. We need to escape this con man, Warloff. He's only making things worse."

            To my relief, Brullov agreed. We were back on the airship and with a wind of 100 knots at our back, flew on north to Yakutsk. I knew of a doctor there who was extremely knowledgeable about diseases of the lungs and esophagus. He lived in a remote village out on the Siberian taiga, however, so he would require food for the entire village as payment. We stopped off in Vladivostok to pick up the necessary food.

            We arrived in Dr. Gorbachev's village, only to find that most of the food had inexplicably disappeared during the voyage. The little bit that was left was not enough to pay for medical treatment for Brullov, but we donated it to the villagers anyway. The mission was neither a success nor a failure (roll of 16, neither gain nor lose any VP). Brullov seemed to be doing better, anyway, as long as we were in the air.

            It was decided we would take a few days to resupply and then we would head out of Yakutsk, seeking warmer climes.

            Captain I.M. Wetinmybritches
            March 8, 1851
          • jovanpe@att.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
              Clearly, my luck ended in 2009. This is not an auspicious start!

              John

              --- In Airship_Adventures_Sky_Lions@yahoogroups.com, "jovanpe@..." <jovanpe@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > We arrived in Dr. Gorbachev's village, only to find that most of the food had inexplicably disappeared during the voyage. The little bit that was left was not enough to pay for medical treatment for Brullov, but we donated it to the villagers anyway. The mission was neither a success nor a failure (roll of 16, neither gain nor lose any VP). Brullov seemed to be doing better, anyway, as long as we were in the air.
              >
              > It was decided we would take a few days to resupply and then we would head out of Yakutsk, seeking warmer climes.

            • lionsden112002
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 10, 2010
                Scandinavian Recruiting station was open late one night when the crew were returning from town. Roll 72 and recruited 29 a new

                performing artist named Klemptschmeelle Gunderfenston a mime!

                here is what he said upon being introduced to the crew....

                and then we showed him to his quarters aboard the White Cruiser and sailed on.

                GM

              • Ted C.
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 11, 2010
                  Are you we can't shoot down other airships? Any ship with a mime on board is just asking for a few shots from the Bad Ass Cow...

                • jovanpe@att.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 11, 2010
                    That mime is very insightful. I never would have thought of that! (Very funny, Kenny! You made me laugh out loud!)

                    John

                  • jovanpe@att.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 13, 2010
                      I would be more than happy to lob a few house-sized projectiles in the mime's direction!!!

                      John