Re: Painting my boat

  • john.palenchar
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 23, 2010
      Aaron—I used the Benjamin Moore on my 12' Whitehall rowboat 7+ years ago and it's still going strong. I'm thinking of repainting this fall as I've patched a few small holes over the years (again using Platt's advice—a small piece of the Dacron skin glued in place with super glue). Good luck with it! (I even painted the "garboard—between gunwale and first stringer—a different color and it came out looking spiffy).

      --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

      > I'm just about to cover my Snowshoe 14 and I'm thinking about paints...  I know
      > most people varnish their boats but I'm somewhat set on painting mine.  Have any
      > of you had any experience painting your hulls?  If so I'd love to hear your
      > thoughts and suggestions about what worked and what didn't.  I'm thinking of
      > just following Platt M.'s instructions and using Moore's exterior House Paint
      > (although I'd likely use their new Aura line) and then varnishing the paint
      > afterwards to add scratch resistance.
      >
      > Thanks in advance!!
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Aaron

    • Richard Bertram
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 23, 2010
        I have used house paint on some swatches, Sherwin Williams Duration Exterior Semi-Gloss water based enamel, and was impressed with it. I also tried samples of oil based urethane, water based urethane, and Sherwin Williams water based Porch and Floor Enamel. Of the 4, the porch and floor enamel was the toughest. After that, the house paint was a close second. The urethanes were less than impressive.

        On the down side, a sharp knife went through all of the fabric samples like butter. Anything bluntly sharp just slid off. I already have the fabric, so I am going to use it. I plan to put on at least 6 coats of paint. If you wanted the see through effect, I am thinking you could purchase the tint base for the house paint (without any coloring agents) and get the see through effect. I think I would experiment with nylon pack cloth for my next hull covering.

        I also tried doubling the fabric and painting it with urethane both oil and water based, hoping that it would stick together. Both samples pealed apart easily. I really don't understand why they did not stick together, but they certainly were not tightly bonded.

        Some of the folks have used two part urethane purchased from skinboats.com. I wonder if they have tried a knife test on a sample? If so, maybe they would share their results. The product costs about $80 for enough to do most of the boats.

        I used some contact cement on a rubber boat that I worked on. I have been thinking about laminating another layer of cloth near the keel as insurance. Don't know how this would work out, but easy enough to test before I jump into it.

        Right now, it's 50/50 between house paint or porch and floor enamel as far as I am concerned they should both do the job just fine. Good luck, hope this helps.

        Richard

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 23, 2010
          I built a Rob-Roy kayak 3 years ago, and wanted that translucent look so I used varnish.
          Big mistake!  It looked like crap, leaked and I never could get it to look decent.  I I lightly sanded it down and used latex house paint.   That worked real well, but nest time I'll use something other than white.   There was still a translucent -opaque look to it.
          Good luck!

          Aaron—I used the Benjamin Moore on my 12' Whitehall rowboat 7+ years ago and it's still going strong. I'm thinking of repainting this fall as I've patched a few small holes over the years (again using Platt's advice—a small piece of the Dacron skin glued in place with super glue). Good luck with it! (I even painted the "garboard—between gunwale and first stringer—a different color and it came out looking spiffy).

          --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, AARON WOOD <a_wood_@...> wrote:

          > I'm just about to cover my Snowshoe 14 and I'm thinking about paints...  I know
          > most people varnish their boats but I'm somewhat set on painting mine.  Have any
          > of you had any experience painting your hulls?  If so I'd love to hear your
          > thoughts and suggestions about what worked and what didn't.  I'm thinking of
          > just following Platt M.'s instructions and using Moore's exterior House Paint
          > (although I'd likely use their new Aura line) and then varnishing the paint
          > afterwards to add scratch resistance.
          >
          > Thanks in advance!!
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Aaron

        • recyc
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 23, 2010
            Urethane has worked good on my three boats. Isn't urethane suggested along with the paint option. doug g

          • a_wood_@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 24, 2010
              Thanks everybody!

              As I'm sure we all do, I've been looking at lots of pictures of boats built by others and I've been consistently drawn to the painted boats vs. varnished. I'm glad to hear that paint has worked out well for others.

              Richard, awesome amount of testing you've done!

              I'm thinking I'll use a superbonding primer for the first coat then just follow up with several coats of paint. While I think it might be slightly better to cover the paint with a tough urethane of some sort this would take away from the ease of repainting / touching-up as paint doesn't adhere well to many of these clear coats.

              Cheers,

              Aaron

              From: Richard Bertram <richardbertram@...>
              Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:16:49 -0700 (PDT)
              To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [Airolite_Boats] Painting my boat

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 24, 2010
              Hi Arron,
              Always glad to help out somone who is emarking on this venture.  I wish I would have discovered this user group when I was buiding my airolite boat as I had a lot of questions during the construction.
              Here are some pics of my Rob-Roy kayak.  I deviated in the plans on the trim and used oak for the gunnels, cedar for the planking boards and deck to give it a more finished look than just dacron alone.
              Here are some pics of it.     Good luck with your project!
              Rick

              Message 7 of 12 , Oct 24, 2010
                Gorgeous boat! Inspires me to get mine done and in the water!

                Thanks again everybody.

                Aaron

                From: Bassman4940 <bassman4940@...>
                Sender: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 08:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
                To: <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [Airolite_Boats] Painting my boat [5 Attachments]

                Message 8 of 12 , Oct 24, 2010
                  Nice pix.  Beautiful boat!

                  I was rowing on the Ipswich River this past summer in my 10' classic, trolling my fly rod off the stern.  Thought I had caught the fool fly on the bottom when it started dragging me.  It was just a "schoolie" (minimum keepers here are 28"), but still! I dropped it taking it off the hook, so now I have this fool schoolie flopping around in the bottom of the boat and I'm thinking about the strength of the skin....Finally got the fish back in the water and my wits collected, but what a kick!

                  Beau Schless
                  NOTEbookS Library Automation
                  (978) 443-2996
                  http://www.rasco.com

                  From:        Bassman4940 <bassman4940@...>
                  To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                  Date:        10/24/2010 11:12 AM
                  Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                  [Attachment(s) from Bassman4940 included below]

                • robert.clarke@gmail.com
                  Message 9 of 12 , Oct 24, 2010
                    Agreed. Amazing boat! Thank you for sharing.

                    Rob in Oregon

                    Message 10 of 12 , Oct 25, 2010
                      One comment on painting: On the Black Fly I used a paint that clung to the surface, but did not penetrate the cloth. I think next time I'd use a varnish that would soak into the fabric, then paint over that if I wanted a painted finish.

                      Rick, your kayak is a thing of beauty!!!

                      Peter.