Swing Centerboard with BLIVIT 13

  • Georg
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2010
      Hi,
      I bought a couple of weeks ago plans for the BLIVIT 13 and with them I received also a couple of papers about a swing centerboard. Has anybody integrated this design on a Blivit 13 and could give me some advice about how to stiffen the construction as this center case is overlapping with station 3 where traditionally the x brace is fitted.
      Any advise is welcome. Thanks.

      Georg
    • Ken Muldrew
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2010
        On 18 Sep 2010 at 5:42, Georg wrote:

        > I bought a couple of weeks ago plans for the BLIVIT 13 and with them I
        > received also a couple of papers about a swing centerboard. Has anybody
        > integrated this design on a Blivit 13 and could give me some advice about
        > how to stiffen the construction as this center case is overlapping with
        > station 3 where traditionally the x brace is fitted.
        > Any advise is welcome. Thanks.

        See the picture of Platt's Blivit 12 here:
        http://www.gaboats.com/tutorials/nopincenterboard.html

        \----------------------------+----------------------------+ o_,
        O_/ \ Ken Muldrew, PhD | Voice: (403) 220-5976 | <\__/7
        <\__ \ Dept. of Cell Biology | Fax: (403) 270-0617 | | /
        "\ L | University of Calgary | kmuldrew@... | / /
        < +-----------------------+----------------------------+ / /
        Morning coffee recapitulate phylogeny L/
      • Georg
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 20, 2010
          Hi Ken

          Thanks for the link.
          I got exactly these drawings with the Blivit 13 plans.
          Two obstacles: the gunwales height of the Blivit 12 is lower than the 13, so the thwart to gunwales does not match up. I designed a solution that will take me some more time and effort to complete but it could work out. The other problem is the Blivit 12 shows a wider keel than foreseen in the original drawings of the 13. I have some drawings I am willing to share and get advises back.

          Best regards,
          Georg Albrecht

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 21, 2010
            On 21 Sep 2010 at 6:16, Georg wrote:

            > I got exactly these drawings with the Blivit 13 plans.
            > Two obstacles: the gunwales height of the Blivit 12 is lower than the 13,
            > so the thwart to gunwales does not match up. I designed a solution that
            > will take me some more time and effort to complete but it could work out.
            > The other problem is the Blivit 12 shows a wider keel than foreseen in
            > the original drawings of the 13. I have some drawings I am willing to
            > share and get advises back.

            I built a 13 a couple of years ago (see pictures in the photos section) so
            I have those drawings. I didn't know there were any drawings for the 12
            though as I had only seen those two pictures on the website.

            I will look at any drawings you want to share and help you in any way that
            I can think of.