RE: [Airolite_Boats] Arrow 14

  • Bob & Kay
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2010

      Did you take any pix during your construction?

      As a courtesy to others and to ensure spammers do not capture their addresses please delete all e-mail addresses in the threads before forwarding.  Thanks ...  Bob

      I built an arrow 14 this spring. The biggest difficulty was obtaining suitable wood here in Anchorage. I finally used pine and oak from home depot. Everything was kiln dried and all the longitudnals had to be spliced to get the lengths needed but it all came together ok. I used a hotplate, pot and pvc elbow and pipe for steaming. Doubled the bottom per the plans using sheet heatnbond and used varnish rather than paint or epoxy for the finish. It seems to be holding up so far. I have been using it 3-4 times a week here in town and once briefly in Prince William Sound - It was very windy and it's so light I was afraid it would blow away while I was climbing back on the boat. I drilled the breasthooks and ran a line from each to the car and strapped it on the rack as I would a normal canoe and it made the 40 mile highway trip to Portage and the trip back just fine.
      The Arrow paddles very nicely. Since I don't see a good way to provide good hip and knee bracing, I gave a little extra rocker and it turns nicely without leaning and paddles without wagging. It is not quite as fast as my Necky sea kayak but moves along nicely and is not as affected by the wind as I thought it would be. The design attracts a lot of compliments and I am very pleased with the boat.
      Gil

    • bpofak
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2010
        no. I could not add anything to the construction photos already posted by others. They were very helpful but the plans are very good. I found it best to just trust them and go for it without agonizing over each step. The process is amazingly forgiving.