Varnish

  • jephryh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
      Does anyone have suggestions on where to obtain or order waterborne
      varnish to finish the Dacron?
    • nrh8255
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2007
        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "jephryh" <jephryh@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have suggestions on where to obtain or order waterborne
        > varnish to finish the Dacron?

        I've been considering finishes for the heat shrink Dacron material
        myself. I am a woodworker and I have worked with a lot of different
        finishes including waterborne finishes. I don't think that a
        waterborne finish of any kind would work. For the purpose of coating
        heat shrink Dacron the main consideration is that the finish remains
        flexible as it provides UV protection. With this in mind I started
        looking on the internet for the finishes used on small airplanes that
        use the same heat shrink Dacron. I found information on these
        finishes as it relates to model airplanes here:
        http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/hfarticles/covers/v1-1-10.html
        The above article references this website which manufactures heat
        shrink Dacron as well as finishes for heat shrink Dacron:
        http://www.polyfiber.com/. I haven't come to any conclusions yet,
        but there is a lot of information on these two sites that leads me to
        believe I am headed in the right direction. I'd be interested in
        knowing what you finally decide to use.
      • nrh8255
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2007
          --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "jephryh" <jephryh@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have suggestions on where to obtain or order waterborne
          > varnish to finish the Dacron?

          I just checked the Geodesic Airlolite Boats website again and he does
          mention using a waterborne varnish. In the instructions that came with
          my kit he recommends clear urethane varnish which I assumed was an oil
          based varnish like marine spar varnish. So, in answer to your original
          question, you can find waterborne varnishes at most woodworking
          (Rockler or Woodcraft), paint (Sherwin-Williams) and hardware stores.
          Make sure the varnish has added UV protection.
        • Peter
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 29, 2007
            I've used a water based finish on my first Snowshoe14 and am about to
            use the same on my second. Here in Australia I use a product called
            Aquacote, distributed by BoatCraft Pacific. It's described as "a
            water based two pack Polyurethane Topcoat - Clear". It claims good UV
            resistance with three coats.

            I tested both oil and water based finishes and was unhappy with
            the "yellowing" of the Dacron with the oil based finish. The water
            based one gives a really clear finish and highlights the translucency
            of the finished Airolite.

            If this is your first go with treating Dacron may I suggest the
            following.

            Use a foam roller and tip off with a brush as you go. Go light on the
            first coat. You don't want too much liquid on the Dacron and you need
            to avoid it pooling and soaking throgh the weave to the other side -
            less is more sort of thing. Use a light behind/under where you're
            working - makes it very easy to see where you're up to and which
            spots you've missed. Have a "spotter" looking over your shoulder.
          • Lee Sensenbrenner
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
              thanks! Very helpful.

              Peter <peterj@...> wrote:
[...]