Re: Stringer material for Snowshoe Lassie

  • Wilfred
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2010
      I am in Ewing, New Jersey, just north of Trenton on the Delaware River so I have access to both NJ and PA. I know of a mill up north of here and I was going to ask them about the ash for the stringers, I'll ask about spruce also. During a huge wind storm on Saturday, I thought I was going to have all the green ash I could ever use. However, the tree is still standing. I also have some big spruce trees; do you think my wife would get upset if I took one down....then I could get one of those portable sawmill guys....no probably not a good idea.
      Wilfred

      --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, bschless@... wrote:

      > What part of the world are you in? Can you find a lumber mill in the
      > yellow pages and ask them for a nice long piece?
      > Beau Schless
      > NOTEbookS Library Automation
      > (978) 443-2996
      > http://www.rasco.com
      >

      > From: "Wilfred" <tanzerman1944@...>
      > To: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: 05/10/2010 08:18 AM
      > Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Stringer material for Snowshoe Lassie
      > Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > I went to Lowes and Home Depot the other day to look at their 2x12-16's to
      > use as stringers, etc. I was not impressed; a lot of knots and warp. I
      > noticed in one post that Paul T mentioned he used poplar for stringers.
      > The poplar I saw was clear although flat cut. Do y'all think that ripping
      > the stringers out of 1x4's and scarfing them to 12' will work? I can also
      > get 10' pieces which would still have to be scarfed. If I scarf them,
      > where on the stringer should the scarf be; middle or towards the stems?
      > Teddy thinks it ought to be finished by now. "Woolly, you said it would
      > only take about 30 hours to build. That's not much more than a day. When
      > will you be finished?"

    • Wilfred
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2010
        The boat will live on a rack upside down, I could put CPES on it before I put the Kevlar or Dacron on. I don't think CPES would cause a adhesion problem for the Heat 'n Bond. Teddy takes pretty good care of things, but he is a 7 year old boy.
        Thanks, Wilfred

        Message 3 of 7 , May 11, 2010
          The idea of fallen trees as a source for good wood (especially green wood) isn't such a bad one.  Around 5 years ago a friend of mine got in contact with a Boston tree removal service.  He had around a dozen trees, mostly oak, dropped off in his yard.  The tree service was glad to get rid of them instead of having to drive them to a mill, where they got nearly nothing for them).  My friend then rented a portable mill for a day (with sawyer).  He ended up with enough oak boards to floor his son's house several years later.  I helped out on the project that day, and it would have been trivial to get as many eighteen to twenty footers as we wanted.

          Beau Schless

          From:        "Wilfred" <tanzerman1944@...>
          To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
          Date:        05/11/2010 07:20 AM
          Subject:        [Airolite_Boats] Re: Stringer material for Snowshoe Lassie
          Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

          I am in Ewing, New Jersey, just north of Trenton on the Delaware River so I have access to both NJ and PA. I know of a mill up north of here and I was going to ask them about the ash for the stringers, I'll ask about spruce also. During a huge wind storm on Saturday, I thought I was going to have all the green ash I could ever use. However, the tree is still standing. I also have some big spruce trees; do you think my wife would get upset if I took one down....then I could get one of those portable sawmill guys....no probably not a good idea.
          Wilfred

          --- In
          Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, bschless@... wrote:

          > What part of the world are you in? Can you find a lumber mill in the
          > yellow pages and ask them for a nice long piece?
          > Beau Schless
          > NOTEbookS Library Automation
          > (978) 443-2996

          http://www.rasco.com

          > From: "Wilfred" <tanzerman1944@...>
          > To:
          Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: 05/10/2010 08:18 AM
          > Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Stringer material for Snowshoe Lassie
          > Sent by:
          Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

          > I went to Lowes and Home Depot the other day to look at their 2x12-16's to
          > use as stringers, etc. I was not impressed; a lot of knots and warp.
          > noticed in one post that Paul T mentioned he used poplar for stringers.
          > The poplar I saw was clear although flat cut. Do y'all think that
          ripping
          > the stringers out of 1x4's and scarfing them to 12' will work? I can
          also
          > get 10' pieces which would still have to be scarfed. If I scarf them,
          > where on the stringer should the scarf be; middle or towards the stems?
          > Teddy thinks it ought to be finished by now. "Woolly, you said
          it would
          > only take about 30 hours to build. That's not much more than a day.
          When
          > will you be finished?"

        • Wilfred
          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2010
            We have a cottage on Devil Lake, near Westport, Ontario. Property is covered with lots of maple and oak, some beech and a few cedar. If one comes down or needs to come down that is exactly what I plan to do.