Re: [Airolite_Boats] Stringer material for Snowshoe Lassie

    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2010
      What part of the world are you in?  Can you find a lumber mill in the yellow pages and ask them for a nice long piece?
      Beau Schless
      NOTEbookS Library Automation
      (978) 443-2996
      http://www.rasco.com

      From:        "Wilfred" <tanzerman1944@...>
      To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      Date:        05/10/2010 08:18 AM
      Subject:        [Airolite_Boats] Stringer material for Snowshoe Lassie
      Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      I went to Lowes and Home Depot the other day to look at their 2x12-16's to use as stringers, etc. I was not impressed; a lot of knots and warp. I noticed in one post that Paul T mentioned he used poplar for stringers. The poplar I saw was clear although flat cut. Do y'all think that ripping the stringers out of 1x4's and scarfing them to 12' will work? I can also get 10' pieces which would still have to be scarfed. If I scarf them, where on the stringer should the scarf be; middle or towards the stems?
      Teddy thinks it ought to be finished by now. "Woolly, you said it would only take about 30 hours to build. That's not much more than a day. When will you be finished?"

    • Wilfred
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2010
        I am in Ewing, New Jersey, just north of Trenton on the Delaware River so I have access to both NJ and PA. I know of a mill up north of here and I was going to ask them about the ash for the stringers, I'll ask about spruce also. During a huge wind storm on Saturday, I thought I was going to have all the green ash I could ever use. However, the tree is still standing. I also have some big spruce trees; do you think my wife would get upset if I took one down....then I could get one of those portable sawmill guys....no probably not a good idea.
        Wilfred

        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, bschless@... wrote:

        > What part of the world are you in? Can you find a lumber mill in the
        > yellow pages and ask them for a nice long piece?
        > Beau Schless
        > NOTEbookS Library Automation
        > (978) 443-2996
        > http://www.rasco.com
        >

        > From: "Wilfred" <tanzerman1944@...>
        > To: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
        > Date: 05/10/2010 08:18 AM
        > Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Stringer material for Snowshoe Lassie
        > Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > I went to Lowes and Home Depot the other day to look at their 2x12-16's to
        > use as stringers, etc. I was not impressed; a lot of knots and warp. I
        > noticed in one post that Paul T mentioned he used poplar for stringers.
        > The poplar I saw was clear although flat cut. Do y'all think that ripping
        > the stringers out of 1x4's and scarfing them to 12' will work? I can also
        > get 10' pieces which would still have to be scarfed. If I scarf them,
        > where on the stringer should the scarf be; middle or towards the stems?
        > Teddy thinks it ought to be finished by now. "Woolly, you said it would
        > only take about 30 hours to build. That's not much more than a day. When
        > will you be finished?"

      • Wilfred
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2010
          The boat will live on a rack upside down, I could put CPES on it before I put the Kevlar or Dacron on. I don't think CPES would cause a adhesion problem for the Heat 'n Bond. Teddy takes pretty good care of things, but he is a 7 year old boy.
          Thanks, Wilfred

          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2010
            The idea of fallen trees as a source for good wood (especially green wood) isn't such a bad one.  Around 5 years ago a friend of mine got in contact with a Boston tree removal service.  He had around a dozen trees, mostly oak, dropped off in his yard.  The tree service was glad to get rid of them instead of having to drive them to a mill, where they got nearly nothing for them).  My friend then rented a portable mill for a day (with sawyer).  He ended up with enough oak boards to floor his son's house several years later.  I helped out on the project that day, and it would have been trivial to get as many eighteen to twenty footers as we wanted.

            Beau Schless

            From:        "Wilfred" <tanzerman1944@...>
            To:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
            Date:        05/11/2010 07:20 AM
            Subject:        [Airolite_Boats] Re: Stringer material for Snowshoe Lassie
            Sent by:        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

            I am in Ewing, New Jersey, just north of Trenton on the Delaware River so I have access to both NJ and PA. I know of a mill up north of here and I was going to ask them about the ash for the stringers, I'll ask about spruce also. During a huge wind storm on Saturday, I thought I was going to have all the green ash I could ever use. However, the tree is still standing. I also have some big spruce trees; do you think my wife would get upset if I took one down....then I could get one of those portable sawmill guys....no probably not a good idea.
            Wilfred

            --- In
            Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, bschless@... wrote:

            > What part of the world are you in? Can you find a lumber mill in the
            > yellow pages and ask them for a nice long piece?
            > Beau Schless
            > NOTEbookS Library Automation
            > (978) 443-2996

            http://www.rasco.com

            > From: "Wilfred" <tanzerman1944@...>
            > To:
            Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: 05/10/2010 08:18 AM
            > Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Stringer material for Snowshoe Lassie
            > Sent by:
            Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

            > I went to Lowes and Home Depot the other day to look at their 2x12-16's to
            > use as stringers, etc. I was not impressed; a lot of knots and warp.
            > noticed in one post that Paul T mentioned he used poplar for stringers.
            > The poplar I saw was clear although flat cut. Do y'all think that
            ripping
            > the stringers out of 1x4's and scarfing them to 12' will work? I can
            also
            > get 10' pieces which would still have to be scarfed. If I scarf them,
            > where on the stringer should the scarf be; middle or towards the stems?
            > Teddy thinks it ought to be finished by now. "Woolly, you said
            it would
            > only take about 30 hours to build. That's not much more than a day.
            When
            > will you be finished?"

          • Wilfred
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2010
              We have a cottage on Devil Lake, near Westport, Ontario. Property is covered with lots of maple and oak, some beech and a few cedar. If one comes down or needs to come down that is exactly what I plan to do.