Re: [Airolite_Boats] new member

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2009
      I built a Classic 10 and find it a tad short for 2 people.  It does fit well on top of the car, though.

      Beau Schless
      President/CEO
      NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
      HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
      PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

      "edward.bennett99" <edward.bennett99@...>
      Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      12/04/2009 12:44 PM

      Please respond to
      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      [Airolite_Boats] new member

      Hello
      I am new to this group. I have never built a boat before but I have much experience with woodworking and creating intricate artifacts. I am considering several geodesic models for my first attempt. I think the Arrow 14, Snowshoe 14 or a Classic would work on the rivers and lakes here in New Mexico. I would appreciate any input to help me make a decision for the first boat project.
      Ed Bennett

    • second_floor_loft
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2009
        Hi Ed:
        I built a Classic 12 and enjoyed the process... I've had a great time on the lake with mine as well. Size of the 12 is good for me and I don't think I'd have been as happy with a Classic 10. For more folks on board I'd look at the Classic 14. No more difficult to build, not much more expensive, 100 lbs more capacity. Either way, 12 or 14 you'll enjoy the finished product.

        Regards:
        Paul T

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
          Hi Ed,

          I finished my Snowshoe Explorer 14 (gusseted gunwales) in September - my first boat and I'm very happy with how it turned out. It would be a good two person boat - I built mine as a single, though, and just switch-paddle a lot as it doesn't track as well as it would with more weight in it.

          As per Platt's comments on the Explorer - gussets add a little more work, but it sure is a strong boat and I love the extra mahogany.

          - Kurt