Re: [Airolite_Boats] new member

  • mgrogg@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2009
      > Hello
      > I am new to this group. I have never built a boat before but I have much experience with
      woodworking and creating intricate artifacts. I am considering several geodesic models
      for my first attempt. I think the Arrow 14, Snowshoe 14 or a Classic would work on the
      rivers and lakes here in New Mexico. I would appreciate any input to help me make a
      decision for the first boat project.

      > Ed Bennett

      The Arrow14 is a great day tripper or nice lake boat for a single person. if you are planning on 2 people or hauling some gear for over night camping, you might to look at the snowshoe models, they have a wider beam and more load carrying ability. The arrow will work better with some gear if you add a couple more floor boards to give you more than just a resting place for your feet.

      A lot of us here have built them, and they all seem to be very fine canoes.

      Enjoy,

      Michael

      Weight Loss Program
      Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=VXGfslWTWCb9yQftS95o0AAAJz29l3yZiaEEvB6dmOESSDC_AAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEUgAAAAA=
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2009
        I built a Classic 10 and find it a tad short for 2 people.  It does fit well on top of the car, though.

        Beau Schless
        President/CEO
        NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
        HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
        PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

        "edward.bennett99" <edward.bennett99@...>
        Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

        12/04/2009 12:44 PM

        Please respond to
        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
        [Airolite_Boats] new member

        Hello
        I am new to this group. I have never built a boat before but I have much experience with woodworking and creating intricate artifacts. I am considering several geodesic models for my first attempt. I think the Arrow 14, Snowshoe 14 or a Classic would work on the rivers and lakes here in New Mexico. I would appreciate any input to help me make a decision for the first boat project.
        Ed Bennett

      • second_floor_loft
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2009
          Hi Ed:
          I built a Classic 12 and enjoyed the process... I've had a great time on the lake with mine as well. Size of the 12 is good for me and I don't think I'd have been as happy with a Classic 10. For more folks on board I'd look at the Classic 14. No more difficult to build, not much more expensive, 100 lbs more capacity. Either way, 12 or 14 you'll enjoy the finished product.

          Regards:
          Paul T

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
            Hi Ed,

            I finished my Snowshoe Explorer 14 (gusseted gunwales) in September - my first boat and I'm very happy with how it turned out. It would be a good two person boat - I built mine as a single, though, and just switch-paddle a lot as it doesn't track as well as it would with more weight in it.

            As per Platt's comments on the Explorer - gussets add a little more work, but it sure is a strong boat and I love the extra mahogany.

            - Kurt