snowshoe 14

  • cmrv6
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2009
      Hi guys, couple of questions:

      1. The kevlar from aircraft spruce do you triple it before using?
      2. Approx how much tention do you pull on it while installing?
      3. Does the kevlar get glued to every point of contact with the structure?
      4. Does the final pull or tentioning of the kevlar occure after the boat is covered?
      5. Approx what total length of yarn do you need?
      6. Is it recomended to put in seats or sit on the bottom?
      7.. Any recomendations for a clear bottom ie: boat shrink wrap,not monokote?

      Thanks Chris
    • koefstoon
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2009
        Hi Chris, I don't know about the kevlar, just think that it should be as much as possible in contact with your boat from a structural point of view. About the clear bottom: don't use shrink wrap. In a very excellent book Building skin-on-frame boats by Robert Morris ( http://www.amazon.com/Building-Skin-Frame-Robert-Morris/dp/0881791911 ) he gives a hilarious account of what happens if you shrinkwrap your boat. It lasts about 5 minutes then the water seeps through and the boat sinks.
        For a clear skin maybe you should go for an architectural skin like ETFE which is used to cover buildings etc.

        Best regards, Casper

        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "cmrv6" <cmrv6@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys, couple of questions:
        >
        > 1. The kevlar from aircraft spruce do you triple it before using?
        > 2. Approx how much tention do you pull on it while installing?
        > 3. Does the kevlar get glued to every point of contact with the structure?
        > 4. Does the final pull or tentioning of the kevlar occure after the boat is covered?
        > 5. Approx what total length of yarn do you need?
        > 6. Is it recomended to put in seats or sit on the bottom?
        > 7.. Any recomendations for a clear bottom ie: boat shrink wrap,not monokote?
        >
        > Thanks Chris

      • Paul Willems
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 17, 2009
           Hi Chris.
          On 2009-11-17, at 5:47 PM, koefstoon wrote:

          Hi Chris, I don't know about the kevlar, just think that it should be as much as possible in contact with your boat from a structural point of view. About the clear bottom: don't use shrink wrap. In a very excellent book Building skin-on-frame boats by Robert Morris ( http://www.amazon. com/Building- Skin-Frame- Robert-Morris/ dp/0881791911 ) he gives a hilarious account of what happens if you shrinkwrap your boat. It lasts about 5 minutes then the water seeps through and the boat sinks.
          For a clear skin maybe you should go for an architectural skin like ETFE which is used to cover buildings etc.

          Best regards, Casper

          --- In Airolite_Boats@ yahoogroups. com, "cmrv6" <cmrv6@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys, couple of questions:
          >
          > 1. The kevlar from aircraft spruce do you triple it before using?
          > 2. Approx how much tention do you pull on it while installing?
          > 3. Does the kevlar get glued to every point of contact with the structure?
          > 4. Does the final pull or tentioning of the kevlar occure after the boat is covered?
          > 5. Approx what total length of yarn do you need?
          > 6. Is it recomended to put in seats or sit on the bottom?
          > 7.. Any recomendations for a clear bottom ie: boat shrink wrap,not monokote?
          >
          > Thanks Chris

        • Paul Willems
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 17, 2009
            Hi Chris,

            I've changed computers and home network so hopefully this works and I don't have to log in on the site. Please let me know if I got threw.

            1. can't say for sure as there is a string rating I believe. I bought mine from there and did not triple it, but we might not have the same product
            2.just lay it over and pull it 'snug' and glue into the double sided tape on gunwales. (sorry it's been awhile since and I forgot some terms)
            3. No kevlar does not need to be glued to all ribs and stringers.
            4.yes. As you skin the boat with the dacron and heat shrink it you will see loosening in the kevlar. Once the skin is tight you carefully heat the gunwale at each point the kevlar touches and pull it tight.
            5. sorry, don't remember....it's clearly stated in the instruction though.
            6. sit on the bottom or put a seat on the bottom. The boat has a narrow beam and would be top heavy with a seat of any height.
            7.dacron? not sure what your asking.

            Hope this helps....
            Paul

            On 2009-11-17, at 5:47 PM, koefstoon wrote:

            Hi Chris, I don't know about the kevlar, just think that it should be as much as possible in contact with your boat from a structural point of view. About the clear bottom: don't use shrink wrap. In a very excellent book Building skin-on-frame boats by Robert Morris ( http://www.amazon. com/Building- Skin-Frame- Robert-Morris/ dp/0881791911 ) he gives a hilarious account of what happens if you shrinkwrap your boat. It lasts about 5 minutes then the water seeps through and the boat sinks.
            For a clear skin maybe you should go for an architectural skin like ETFE which is used to cover buildings etc.

            Best regards, Casper

            --- In Airolite_Boats@ yahoogroups. com, "cmrv6" <cmrv6@...> wrote:

            > Hi guys, couple of questions:
            >
            > 1. The kevlar from aircraft spruce do you triple it before using?
            > 2. Approx how much tention do you pull on it while installing?
            > 3. Does the kevlar get glued to every point of contact with the structure?
            > 4. Does the final pull or tentioning of the kevlar occure after the boat is covered?
            > 5. Approx what total length of yarn do you need?
            > 6. Is it recomended to put in seats or sit on the bottom?
            > 7.. Any recomendations for a clear bottom ie: boat shrink wrap,not monokote?
            >
            > Thanks Chris

          • cmrv6
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2009
              Hi gmouys thanks for your help last time. Some new question:

              1.For two person use I wanted to move the front seat back one bay?
              2.To make room for the back seat person I wanted to move the thorwpe forward one bay and the front thorwap back one bay?
              3.how critical is symetric loading of the two persons and their weight?

              Thanks for the help. Chris
            • cmrv6
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
                anyone with experience in the seat placment of the snowshoe 14? I'd like to bring the front seat back another bay to make leg room? cm
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
                  I highly suggest you not lock the placement of the middle seat until you've been in the boat on the water.  The placement of the 10 was way off.  I'd get a milk crate and move it around until you find your own sweet spot, then mount it.

                  Beau Schless
                  President/CEO
                  NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
                  HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM