RE: [Airolite_Boats] Bending ribs

  • david parker
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2009
      Hi Joe,

      Glad to hear that the oak I sent worked out well. Pictures of your boat? Please!

      Regards, David

      To: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      From: jgold@...
      Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:09:58 +0000
      Subject: [Airolite_Boats] Bending ribs

      After reading about and worrying about building a steam generator for the ribs for my Arrow 14 I decided to try the soaking option. Worked like a dream! Since I would be working alone and only doing a few ribs at a time I used 1" PVC pipe with one wnd capped. An old coffee pot provided hot water. I stood the pipe on end, put 3 or 4 ribs in and filled it with water. After they had soaked for an hour or so,(water refilled now and then) they were very easy to bend. Only one of 22 broke.
      I think the secret was the bending stock which was green oak procured from David Parker. drp122@hotmail Good stuff. I made the ribs just a wee bit narrower than called for (about 3/8"+or- rather than the 1/2 " specified) which I feel will be fine since the plans specify ash which is not as strong as oak.

      Joe