Woodwork completed for Sweet Pea Mark II
- View SourceI am currently varnishing the boat and getting ready to put on the
Dacron and Kevlar.
I've gone with oil based varnish, both for the wood and the Dacron. So
far, so good.
As detailed in my photos, I've made several modifications, and would
be happy to further discuss those. They include:
1. Making the stems out of layers of steam-bent ash instead of plywood.
2. Using cedar instead of sitka spruce
3. Using a combination of ash and cedar for the thwart and thwart
braces instead of plywood, and using some joinery to strengthen the
connection (in addition to the prescribed epoxy).
4. Using ash for the keel
5. Gluing together strips of cedar left over from the stringers and
gunwales to form what I believe are lighter, stronger floorboards than
you'd achieve using single boards.
Not sure whether all these are improvements on the original design,
but I offer them for the sake of broadening the experience of building