dacron coating

  • andrew426_250
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2009
      Hi all, Last year I went to see Bette and bought an Arrow 14. I asked her as many questions as I could think of, including waterproofing the fabric. I decided to practice first with a plus sized Wacky Lassie. I was wondering instead of a Polyurethane coating on the fabric what about epoxy? I haven't found any info regarding epoxy on Dacron but can you apply it with a small foam roller? 2 light coats? Would it be strong and more durable without to much weight. I was planning on a standard by the book build but while using some epoxy on fiberglass cloth got me to thinking, does anyone have ideas or opinions. Thanks.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2009

        I think epoxy would be too brittle.  I used spray polyeurethane (out of a can from the local hardware store).  The only problem is you need a lot of cans!  The boat seems to weep/leak.  Not much, but if I am in it for 15 - 20 minutes I have around a cup of water in the bilge.

        Beau Schless
        President/CEO
        NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
        HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
        PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

        "andrew426_250" <andrew426_250@...>
        Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

        05/13/2009 04:58 PM

        Please respond to
        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

        Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
        [Airolite_Boats] dacron coating

        Hi all, Last year I went to see Bette and bought an Arrow 14. I asked her as many questions as I could think of, including waterproofing the fabric. I decided to practice first with a plus sized Wacky Lassie. I was wondering instead of a Polyurethane coating on the fabric what about epoxy? I haven't found any info regarding epoxy on Dacron but can you apply it with a small foam roller? 2 light coats? Would it be strong and more durable without to much weight. I was planning on a standard by the book build but while using some epoxy on fiberglass cloth got me to thinking, does anyone have ideas or opinions. Thanks.

      • Scott Perkins
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2009
          I think you have to have a flexible paint so you dont get cracks.
          Is Epoxy flexible ? I dont think so.

          Latex is. ? ?

          andrew426_250 wrote:

          > Hi all, Last year I went to see Bette and bought an Arrow 14. I asked her as many questions as I could think of, including waterproofing the fabric. I decided to practice first with a plus sized Wacky Lassie. I was wondering instead of a Polyurethane coating on the fabric what about epoxy? I haven't found any info regarding epoxy on Dacron but can you apply it with a small foam roller? 2 light coats? Would it be strong and more durable without to much weight. I was planning on a standard by the book build but while using some epoxy on fiberglass cloth got me to thinking, does anyone have ideas or opinions. Thanks.

        • james_kingston
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13, 2009
            --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "andrew426_250" <andrew426_250@...> wrote:
            > I decided to practice first with a plus sized Wacky Lassie. I was wondering instead of a Polyurethane coating on the fabric what about epoxy?

            It certainly has been done: http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi/noframes/read/167458

            But I believe it was done for toughness rather than waterproof-ness.

            Personally I used Poly-Fiber followed by a few coats of polyurethane, and I believe that it is effectively waterproof. Mine is not particularly tough, though. I had to add an extra strip of Dacron at the chines, which were getting scratched up at concrete boat ramps.
          • Ken Muldrew
            Message 5 of 7 , May 13, 2009
              On 13 May 2009 at 20:58, andrew426_250 wrote:

              > I was
              > wondering instead of a Polyurethane coating on the fabric what about
              > epoxy? I haven't found any info regarding epoxy on Dacron but can you
              > apply it with a small foam roller? 2 light coats?

              I used West System epoxy with graphite added on my Blivit 13 (you can see
              pictures in the Yahoo groups picture section). 3 coats, applied with a
              small foam roller. It worked beautifully but it's harder to apply than
              paint.
              \----------------------------+----------------------------+ o_,
              O_/ \ Ken Muldrew, PhD | Voice: (403) 220-5976 | <\__/7
              <\__ \ Dept. of Cell Biology | Fax: (403) 270-0617 | | /
              "\ L | University of Calgary | kmuldrew@... | / /
              < +-----------------------+----------------------------+ / /
              Morning coffee recapitulate phylogeny L/
            • sanford count
              Message 6 of 7 , May 13, 2009
                We applied 3 coats of epoxy with a small foam brush. Looks great.

                On 13 May 2009 at 20:58, andrew426_250 wrote:

                > I was
                > wondering instead of a Polyurethane coating on the fabric what about
                > epoxy? I haven't found any info regarding epoxy on Dacron but can you
                > apply it with a small foam roller? 2 light coats?

                I used West System epoxy with graphite added on my Blivit 13 (you can see
                pictures in the Yahoo groups picture section). 3 coats, applied with a
                small foam roller. It worked beautifully but it's harder to apply than
                paint.
                \----------- --------- --------+ --------- --------- --------- -+ o_,
                O_/ \ Ken Muldrew, PhD | Voice: (403) 220-5976 | <\__/7
                <\__ \ Dept. of Cell Biology | Fax: (403) 270-0617 | | /
                "\ L | University of Calgary | kmuldrew@ucalgary. ca | / /
                Morning coffee recapitulate phylogeny L/

              • kurtwoodham
                Message 7 of 7 , May 14, 2009
                  I posted a question a while back on the use of Hypalon (which, among other applications) is used for painting inflatable rafts. It's suggested by Ross Miller in his Duckworks Magazine article on his Egret kayak (a beautiful boat that is likely to be my next build).

                  Source that I've found is GracoFlex H-22 (Look at Graco Western site). I plan to try to give Ross a call - but this stuff is looking really enticing.

                  - Kurt