Varnishing Dacron: water-based vs. oil based

  • ljsense
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 11:55 AM
      Thanks to all those who've contributed to this group; it's helped me
      on my project, which I'll have some more photos of soon.

      My question is whether anyone has advice on varnish.

      All the best varnish seems to be oil-based, and I plan to use this on
      the wood of the boat.

      But what experiences do any of you have using oil-based varnish on the
      Dacron? I recognize the fumes, mess, toxicity, etc. But is it more
      brittle on the fabric than water based? Does it bond differently? Or
      make the fabric tear easier than water-based would? Any other
      considerations?

      Oil-based varnish like Z-Spar seems to have better UV resistance, and
      I'd rather not buy two cans of varnish if oil-based will work for all
      aspects of this boat.

      Thanks for your help