Re: Supplier of Dacron Fabric?

  • koefstoon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2009
      --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "peerstrik" <peerstrik@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know where in Europe (preferably The Netherlands)I can buy
      > Dacron Fabric suitable for canoes.
      > Thank you

      Hi Peer,

      Maybe you could try Contender Sails, a company started in the
      Netherlands. This is their website:

      http://www.contendersailcloth.com/index1.asp

      I spoke with a salesrep and though they did not have dacron anymore
      they did have similar wovens as they call it and they were happy to
      supply a not impregnated piece of cloth. Their fabrics are coated with
      different materials to make them waterproof etc. These are the sails
      for the Volvo Oceanrace.

      Good luck, Casper
    • peerstrik
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
        Thank you Casper I will check it out. Right now I'm studying
        alternatives too. Canvas or pvc or hypalon covered fabric for exta
        strenght.
        Untill next time.
        Peer
      • pjacobs55
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
          Peer,
          According to Robert Morris, author of "Building Skin-On-Frame Boats",
          ballistic nylon is a better choice than Dacron (polyester). He uses 8oz
          material, although 12 oz is also avaiable. I'm going to use it on my
          future Blackfly pram.
          Here is one supplier: http://tinyurl.com/crhaoa

          Peter.

          wrote:

          > Thank you Casper I will check it out. Right now I'm studying
          > alternatives too. Canvas or pvc or hypalon covered fabric for exta
          > strenght.
          > Untill next time.
          > Peer

        • koefstoon
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
            --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "pjacobs55" <prjacobs@...> wrote:

            > Peer,
            > According to Robert Morris, author of "Building Skin-On-Frame Boats",
            > ballistic nylon is a better choice than Dacron (polyester). He uses 8oz
            > material, although 12 oz is also avaiable. I'm going to use it on my
            > future Blackfly pram.
            > Here is one supplier: http://tinyurl.com/crhaoa
            >
            > Peter.
            >
            > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "peerstrik" <peerstrik@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thank you Casper I will check it out. Right now I'm studying
            > > alternatives too. Canvas or pvc or hypalon covered fabric for exta
            > > strenght.
            > > Untill next time.
            > > Peer

            Like Dacron ballistic nylon is no longer fabricated in the Netherlands
            so we have some trouble obtaining stuff like that. Dyneema would be no
            problem...