Hypalon Coating - Any experience?

  • kurtwoodham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hi - snoeshoe 14 is progressing. No ETA for launch - working on it
      as I get time. All ribs are in except for the three half-ribs at
      bow/stern. Went ahead and popped it off of the strongback, leaving
      the one form in around the location for the end ribs: now I can move
      it back and forth into the house by myself for epoxy sessions.

      Getting ahead of myself, but I've been doing some reading on the
      egret kayak at duckworks:

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/miller/egret/index.htm

      Ross Miller (designer) talks about using Hypalon as good choice for
      sealing the dacron, and I have been reading up on it.

      Couldn't find any posts here on the choice - any experience? Here's
      a link to one source:

      http://www.gaco.com/hypalon.html

      I'm pretty intrigued by the idea of using it to finish off my
      snowshoe 14 (probably well into the spring at my rate)

      Thanks!

      - Kurt
    • Joel Fairstein

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
          No experience but interested too. Until sofar I have only adresses
          about hypalon coated fabric. Thank you for the information
          about "fluid" hypalon by the way. Fabric is used on skin on frame
          kayaks. See http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/smskin.html
          Stimpson speaks about "Hypalon-coated Nylon covering" and whether that
          is self coated or not I don't know. I have found 2 adresses, untill
          sofar about Hypalon_Coated_Fiberglass_Fabric:
          http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/FabricCare/Hypalon.htm and further away
          http://kangtex.en.alibaba.com/product/200082348-
          200222088/Hypalon_Coated_Fiberglass_Fabric.html
          No further information yet. Good Luck