Supplier of Dacron Fabric?

  • peerstrik
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2009
      Does anyone know where in Europe (preferably The Netherlands)I can buy
      Dacron Fabric suitable for canoes.
      Thank you
    • koefstoon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2009
        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "peerstrik" <peerstrik@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know where in Europe (preferably The Netherlands)I can buy
        > Dacron Fabric suitable for canoes.
        > Thank you

        Hi Peer,

        Maybe you could try Contender Sails, a company started in the
        Netherlands. This is their website:

        http://www.contendersailcloth.com/index1.asp

        I spoke with a salesrep and though they did not have dacron anymore
        they did have similar wovens as they call it and they were happy to
        supply a not impregnated piece of cloth. Their fabrics are coated with
        different materials to make them waterproof etc. These are the sails
        for the Volvo Oceanrace.

        Good luck, Casper
      • peerstrik
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
          Thank you Casper I will check it out. Right now I'm studying
          alternatives too. Canvas or pvc or hypalon covered fabric for exta
          strenght.
          Untill next time.
          Peer
        • pjacobs55
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
            Peer,
            According to Robert Morris, author of "Building Skin-On-Frame Boats",
            ballistic nylon is a better choice than Dacron (polyester). He uses 8oz
            material, although 12 oz is also avaiable. I'm going to use it on my
            future Blackfly pram.
            Here is one supplier: http://tinyurl.com/crhaoa

            Peter.

            wrote:

            > Thank you Casper I will check it out. Right now I'm studying
            > alternatives too. Canvas or pvc or hypalon covered fabric for exta
            > strenght.
            > Untill next time.
            > Peer

          • koefstoon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 30, 2009
              --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "pjacobs55" <prjacobs@...> wrote:

              > Peer,
              > According to Robert Morris, author of "Building Skin-On-Frame Boats",
              > ballistic nylon is a better choice than Dacron (polyester). He uses 8oz
              > material, although 12 oz is also avaiable. I'm going to use it on my
              > future Blackfly pram.
              > Here is one supplier: http://tinyurl.com/crhaoa
              >
              > Peter.
              >
              > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "peerstrik" <peerstrik@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank you Casper I will check it out. Right now I'm studying
              > > alternatives too. Canvas or pvc or hypalon covered fabric for exta
              > > strenght.
              > > Untill next time.
              > > Peer

              Like Dacron ballistic nylon is no longer fabricated in the Netherlands
              so we have some trouble obtaining stuff like that. Dyneema would be no
              problem...