Yahoo privacy intrusion

  • pjacobs55
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
      Sorry for the off-topic post, but I believe Yahoo users should know
      this:

      The following is not from me, but from a member of another group:

      I have received the following info from another Yahoo group which I
      belong to, and I think everyone should be aware of this potential
      privacy intrusion. It is of course up to each individual to opt out.
      It would have been nice if Yahoo had informed users about this in a
      more explicit and open manner and not just bury in under other
      computer cookie gobbledegook.
      Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

      If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using
      "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to
      cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you
      visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated
      privacy statement at

      http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html

      About half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*, you will
      see a link that says *WEB BEACONS*.

      Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the left
      find a box entitled "Opt-Out."

      In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link
      that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click
      the opt-out button on the next page.

      Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to
      opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That
      means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you
      use.

      Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but
      I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed all
      users up to get spam and we had to opt out of that a few years ago.

      Related article:
      http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm
      <http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm>

      Also, from another user:

      The following is from another Yahoo discussion group. Please read and
      action as you see fit. I suggest that if you wish to opt out, you do
      it on the following page:
      http://networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp

      Note that you need to opt out on every browser that you use, on every
      pc that you use.

      Peter
    • Roland Deschain
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
        I agree that cookies in general and Yahoo cookies specifically are a privacy concern, but it is probably a mistake to get bunched skivvies about Yahoo's policies in isolation. Virtually all web providers will try to track you with cookies, and virtually all will hide this fact in their lawyered-up user agreements. A comprehensive approach to privacy and security would be a much better idea.

        First, make sure you are behind a good firewall and that it is configured correctly (many DSL and cable "modems" are also hardware firewalls, but the ISP seldom enables those features; most software firewalls require a degree of customization to be effective). Next, use Firefox or some other browser that can be easily customized and secured. Using IE and trying to protect your privacy beyond what MS wants to allow is like urinating into a stiff headwind. Not to mention the constant security holes in all versions of IE itself.

        In FF, under Tools|Options|Privacy(tab),History(section) uncheck "Remember what I enter in forms and the search bar". Then in the Private Data(section), check "Always clear my private data when I close Firefox". The click the Settings button in that same section and check (at minimum) "Cache", "Cookies", and "Authenticated Sessions". Go to the Security tab and uncheck "Remember passwords for sites" (if you need a password storage widget, get Password Safe or something similar, don't store them in FF, where any knowledgeable hacker knows the location and encryption method).

        In Firefox, use of add-ins to enhance security is also recommended (find these at mozilla.com). Here are some of the titles that I use (just suggestions): Noscript; CookieSafe Lite (CS Lite); Flashblock; CustomizeGoogle (with all the options restricted - be careful, as configured on installation it will actually give you less privacy, not more).

        That is probably an intimidating list, but good security (and privacy) is hard. Better to be aware that you are vulnerable than think you are more secure than you really are...

        -Roland

        > Sorry for the off-topic post, but I believe Yahoo users
        > should know
        > this:
        >
        > The following is not from me, but from a member of another
        > group:
        >
        > I have received the following info from another Yahoo group
        > which I
        > belong to, and I think everyone should be aware of this
        > potential
        > privacy intrusion. It is of course up to each individual to
        > opt out.
        > It would have been nice if Yahoo had informed users about
        > this in a
        > more explicit and open manner and not just bury in under
        > other
        > computer cookie gobbledegook.
        > Yahoo is Tracking Group Members
        >
        > If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is
        > now using
        > "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user.
        > It's similar to
        > cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every
        > group you
        > visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at
        > their updated
        > privacy statement at
        >
        > http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html
        >
        > About half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*,
        > you will
        > see a link that says *WEB BEACONS*.
        >
        > Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page
        > that opens, on the left
        > find a box entitled "Opt-Out."
        >
        > In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched
        > advertising" link
        > that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping.
        > Click it and then click
        > the opt-out button on the next page.
        >
        > Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your
        > ability to
        > opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE
        > specific. That
        > means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and
        > browser) you
        > use.
        >
        > Please forward this to your other groups. You might
        > complain, too, but
        > I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when
        > they signed all
        > users up to get spam and we had to opt out of that a few
        > years ago.
        >
        > Related article:
        > http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm
        > <http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm>
        >
        > Also, from another user:
        >
        > The following is from another Yahoo discussion group.
        > Please read and
        > action as you see fit. I suggest that if you wish to opt
        > out, you do
        > it on the following page:
        > http://networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
        >
        > Note that you need to opt out on every browser that you
        > use, on every
        > pc that you use.
        >
        > Peter
      • pjacobs55
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
          Roland,
          Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'm saving your message so I can
          implement these changes. I've been trying out 'Opera'. Any thoughts
          on it?
          Thanks!
          Peter.

          --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Roland Deschain