Re: [Airolite_Boats] Sea Trials - leaks

  • Scott Perkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2008
      What was the difficulty of brushing on the marine varnish?

      Was it a problem getting it to smooth out ?
      Was there difficulty getting it to penetrate the
      weave of the fabric ?

      Sponges or rollers might work better than brushes.

      regarding the aerosol polyurethane, the only difference
      with that is that it has been thinned with solvents to
      allow it to spray better. The same could be done
      with brush, sponge or rollers.
      Scott

      > <2scott@...>
      > Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      > >
      > Ever consider using exterior household latex paint ?
      > Very flexible and should be water proof and you could build
      > up a thickness with two or more coats... easy to repair as well
      >
      > bschless@... wrote:
      > . I used a high grade marine
      > > varnish (which was difficult to brush on). In retrospect I
      > would have
      > > gone to the local hardware store and bought 6 or so cans of
      > clear
      > > spray polyurethane. It dries in 20 minutes and in tests I've
      > done two
      > > coats seem to work pretty well on the dacron.

    • Joel Fairstein
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2008
        I used an HVLP spray gun with water-based polyurethane. The over-spray from spray cans in my mind is unacceptable.

        Drying time for the water-based PU is overstated on the cans. I also kept a small fan running in the shop to accelerate drying time.

        If i had to do it again, i would use a larger nozzle, as the PU is thick stuff which you're not supposed to cut with thinner, in this case water.

        Joel

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2008
          I had problems getting brushed on varnish not to run.  In fact I have several large run spots.  Spray can polyurethane worked much better for me.  Smooth, effective and easy to use.  I just hit it over and over with very thin coats. And the whole job cost me maybe $20.00 in poly.  Ecologically insensitive, however.

          Beau Schless
          President/CEO
          NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
          Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
          HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
          PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

          Scott Perkins <2scott@...>
          Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com