Re: [Airolite_Boats] Sea Trials - Seat Position and leaks

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
      wots a snotter?

      Neau Schless
      President/CEO
      NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
      Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
      HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
      PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

      sanford count <sandyroz@...>
      Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      07/07/2008 08:08 PM

      Please respond to
      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      Re: [Airolite_Boats] Sea Trials - Seat Position and leaks

      This is a reply to a much earlier post...

      We started the project of bu8ilding a Classic 12 sailer in Oct. 07. aA group of over 10 Ancient Mariners. We launched in on Jully 4,08 sucessfully ! Our Dacron was sealed with 3-4 coats of Epoxy. When we cut the dagger board bottom open we found the dacron very difficult to cut. We had contemplated an additional material for the bottom protection, but it's not necessary. Our remaining problem is rigging a snotter. Any ideas?  Sandy

      bschless@...
      wrote:

      I'm at 51 pounds so far, including bronze oarlocks, an extra teak rubrail, and a bow cleat.  I could use latex, but thought about adding (argghhh) more weight.  Have you found it any stronger?  I've already poked two holes in my skin.

      I've fantasized about removing the dacron and replacing it with cedar strips and fiberglass.  I built a canoe of cedar 2 years ago and it's pretty bulletproof.

      Beau Schless
      President/CEO
      NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
      Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
      HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
      PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

      Scott Perkins <2scott@...>
      Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      04/20/2008 04:43 PM
      Please respond to
      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      Re: [Airolite_Boats] Sea Trials - Seat Position and leaks

      Ever consider using exterior household latex paint ?
      Very flexible and should be water proof and you could build
      up a thickness with two or more coats... easy to repair as well

      bschless@... wrote:
      . I used a high grade marine
      > varnish (which was difficult to brush on). In retrospect I would have
      > gone to the local hardware store and bought 6 or so cans of clear
      > spray polyurethane. It dries in 20 minutes and in tests I've done
      two
      > coats seem to work pretty well on the dacron.

    • kmuldrew2
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8, 2008
        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, sanford count <sandyroz@...> wrote:

        > Our remaining problem is rigging a snotter. Any ideas? Sandy

        On my Blivit, I used a windsurfing mast. Since 2" ABS plumbing pipe
        fits almost perfectly around that, I cut off about a 6" piece of pipe
        and cut it in half lengthwise. Then I glued 1/8" foam rubber on the
        inside of both halves, riveted hinges on one side so that the cylinder
        could be opened and closed, and riveted the buckles from an old
        rollerblade onto the other side to clamp it shut. Then I bolted a J
        hook onto the tube.

        After raising my sail, I just clamp the snotter assembly onto the mast
        and hang the boom over the hook with a small loop of rope tied to the
        front of the boom.

        Works like a charm and I didn't have to bolt anything into the mast.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 9, 2008
          I'm rethinking my 10' classic.  Maybe it should be a sailboat.  Does anyone have experience putting leeboards (versus a centerboard) on a classic?

          Beau Schless
          President/CEO
          NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
          Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
          HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
          PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

          "kmuldrew2" <kmuldrew@...>
          Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

          07/09/2008 07:29 AM

          Please respond to
          Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

          Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
          cc
          Subject
          [Airolite_Boats] Re: Sea Trials - Seat Position and leaks