More progress and pic's

  • second_floor_loft
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      Okay, I'll admit to some trepidation regarding the steam box. I've read pro's and
      cons..Some have had success, some have not. Also, I have most available, kiln dried wood.

      The solution was the vacuum chamber method of re-hydrating the wood as from "The
      Wizards Of Bramble Wood" in our links section. Only thing I did different was use a vacuum
      pump I got off of ebay instead of the refrigerator compressor. It worked great.

      Then the steam box out of Blue foam insulation from the local home improvement store
      (3/4 inch thick) and duct tape. A couple of pipe flanges and pipe nipples, a 12 quart pot
      (could have used a 6 quart with no trouble) and a camp stove..(el cheapo variety) Also got
      a small roll of aluminum flashing to modify the camp stove as you see in the pictures to
      keep the heat around the pot. Oh, and a piece of rubber tube.

      Exactly as per instructions in the aerolite plans, it worked..I am amazed..and I can't tell
      you how happy I am. This was VERY cool.

      More next week
      Paul T
    • Joel Silverman
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
        Paul,

        Great to hear. Glad you have found some of the other
        links helpful.

        I have finally made the necessary space to start my
        build. I am currently trying to find the wood for the
        ribs.

        Joel S.
        --- second_floor_loft <second_floor_loft@...>
        wrote:

        > Okay, I'll admit to some trepidation regarding the
        > steam box. I've read pro's and
        > cons..Some have had success, some have not. Also, I
        > have most available, kiln dried wood.
        >
        > The solution was the vacuum chamber method of
        > re-hydrating the wood as from "The
        > Wizards Of Bramble Wood" in our links section. Only
        > thing I did different was use a vacuum
        > pump I got off of ebay instead of the refrigerator
        > compressor. It worked great.
        >
        > Then the steam box out of Blue foam insulation from
        > the local home improvement store
        > (3/4 inch thick) and duct tape. A couple of pipe
        > flanges and pipe nipples, a 12 quart pot
        > (could have used a 6 quart with no trouble) and a
        > camp stove..(el cheapo variety) Also got
        > a small roll of aluminum flashing to modify the camp
        > stove as you see in the pictures to
        > keep the heat around the pot. Oh, and a piece of
        > rubber tube.
        >
        > Exactly as per instructions in the aerolite plans,
        > it worked..I am amazed..and I can't tell
        > you how happy I am. This was VERY cool.
        >
        > More next week
        > Paul T

        Want to start your own business?