RE: [Airolite_Boats] Re: Extra Floor Boards

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
      We enter and exit our classic 10 from a shallow beach (typically 1' of water).  For those getting into the boat who have a less nautical bent [read...my wife...] I feel the extra floor boards are valuable.  It makes a much stabler platform for entry.

      Beau Schless
      President/CEO
      NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
      Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
      HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
      PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

      "Elliot Mednick" <elliot@...>
      Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      07/02/2008 07:28 AM

      Please respond to
      Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

      <Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com>
      cc
      Subject
      RE: [Airolite_Boats] Re: Extra Floor Boards

      The Classic is a much wider boat than the Arrow, especially the floor width.  I’ve built the Arrow and now I’m building a Classic 14.  I think the arguments for adding addition floor boards to a Classic doesn’t apply to the Arrow.

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008

        centre off gravity knows best

        Does anyone with a classic 10 or 12 have issues with freeboard height when rowing?  I find with my 10' it's a little difficult to row with the seat height so high and the gunwales so low.   On the return the oars have a tendency to tap the water.  Not intolerable, but I like to really use some muscle when rowing, and the return sometimes is wet. If I were to design her I think I'd add 1 - 2" to the gunwales or sink the seat 2" down.  Any comments?

        "Elliot Mednick" <elliot@mednick. name>
        Sent by: Airolite_Boats@ yahoogroups. com

        07/02/2008 07:28 AM

        Please respond to
        Airolite_Boats@ yahoogroups. com

        <Airolite_Boats@ yahoogroups. com>
        cc
        Subject
        RE: [Airolite_Boats] Re: New Member - Couple of questions

        I built an Arrow 14 a few years ago, and I paddle it a bunch in the summer.  Mine has three floorboards and I never thought that having more would be better.  The gaps between the boards are too small to get feet wedged in them. And there is plenty of width for sitting.  Not sure what size 11 feet has to do with anything.

        I can see an argument for adding more weight as ballast, since the Arrow is a little wobbly.  But I think two extra floorboards won’t have any effect.  (In fact, since the draught is so shallow – 2-3inches -- it is possible that the extra two boards might be above the water level, causing additional instability. )

        My vote is to keep the 3 floorboards.

        --Elliot, Salem NH

        [Airolite_Boats] Re: New Member - Couple of questions

        I am glad to hear that. I know the concept is kind of minimalist, but
        I figure even if the extra floorboard(s) cost me a pound or two, I
        will still be less than half the weight of my plastic kayak I am
        lugging around now.

        <second_floor_ loft@...> wrote:

        > Hello Michael:
        >
        > I'll speak for the floorboards. I'm building a Classic 12 and it
        also called for three floorboards. I just knew that wasn't a good
        thing in my case. I added two more and am happy with the results.
        Surely in the Snowshoe 14 it will be a little tighter but perhaps four
        would work...even five if slightly narrower, the outer most two being
        shorter stem to stern. Have a look in the photos section to see how
        others have handled this.

        > Sincerely:
        > Paul T

      • Ken Muldrew
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
          On 1 Jul 2008 at 2:51, mgrogg51 wrote:

          > Second, looking forward a project or two, can some one tell me what
          > materials are used for the masts on the sailing models? Wood or metal
          > tube or???

          On my Blivit 13 I used an old windsurfer mast (the fiberglass one-piece
          masts are cheap and readily available as they are out of fashion with the
          windsurfing crowd). It fits perfectly over 1-1/2" PVC and 2" ABS works
          well for mast rings to attach your sail.
          \----------------------------+----------------------------+ o_,
          O_/ \ Ken Muldrew, PhD | Voice: (403) 220-5976 | <\__/7
          <\__ \ Dept. of Cell Biology | Fax: (403) 270-0617 | | /
          "\ L | University of Calgary | kmuldrew@... | / /
          < +-----------------------+----------------------------+ / /
          Morning coffee recapitulate phylogeny L/
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
            It would be relatively easy, since you are building it from scratch anyway, to use the front seat as a mast step and run it as a gaff rigged catboat.  Hmmm...now you have me thinking I may need to build another boat next winter!

            Beau Schless
            President/CEO
            NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
            Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
            HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
            PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

            "Ken Muldrew" <kmuldrew@...>
            Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

            07/02/2008 11:36 AM

            Please respond to
            Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

            Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
            cc
            Subject
            Re: [Airolite_Boats] New Member - Couple of questions

            On 1 Jul 2008 at 2:51, mgrogg51 wrote:

            > Second, looking forward a project or two, can some one tell me what
            > materials are used for the masts on the sailing models? Wood or metal
            > tube or???

            On my Blivit 13 I used an old windsurfer mast (the fiberglass one-piece
            masts are cheap and readily available as they are out of fashion with the
            windsurfing crowd). It fits perfectly over 1-1/2" PVC and 2" ABS works
            well for mast rings to attach your sail.
            \----------------------------+----------------------------+ o_,
            O_/ \ Ken Muldrew, PhD | Voice: (403) 220-5976 | <\__/7
            <\__ \ Dept. of Cell Biology | Fax: (403) 270-0617 | | /
            "\ L | University of Calgary |
            kmuldrew@... | / /
            < +-----------------------+----------------------------+ / /
            Morning coffee recapitulate phylogeny L/

          • mgrogg51
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
              I hadn't thought of that. I see Windsurfer stuff on Craigslist from
              time to time for what looks like a low price.

              Thanks,

              Michael

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                Perhaps I wasn't clear. I am building the arrow now to paddle, and
                replace my heavy plastic Kayak that I have to lug out of the backyard,
                put on the car, lug to the water. I don't want to try an sail that.

                My sail project would be a 20-25% scale trimaran I would like to try
                out and test different sail rigs before I commit to building it full
                size. I would be building up a ultralight hull frame, bracing with
                the Kevlar cord and covering with the heat shrink etc. The basic
                materials were easy to find in quantities I need and can afford, and
                lofting from scale plans shouldn't be that difficult. The idea of
                using old windsurfing masts would give me something stronger than PVC
                pipe, and much less labor intensive than laminating a hollow wooden
                mast. Since I may go through two or three different sail plans, cheap
                and simple is what will work for me. I will try and post a couple of
                links tonight that show the sail rigs I am looking at, they are
                different than what is the norm for the sailing rigs for the stock plans.

                Thanks to all for the ideas and info,

                Michael

                --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, bschless@... wrote:

                > It would be relatively easy, since you are building it from scratch
                > anyway, to use the front seat as a mast step and run it as a gaff
                rigged
                > catboat. Hmmm...now you have me thinking I may need to build
                another boat
                > next winter!
                >
                > Beau Schless
                > President/CEO
                > NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
                > Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
                > HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
                > PH: 1.(978) 443-2996
                >

                > "Ken Muldrew" <kmuldrew@...>
                > Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                > 07/02/2008 11:36 AM
                > Please respond to
                > Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                > Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                > cc
                >
                > Subject
                > Re: [Airolite_Boats] New Member - Couple of questions
                >

                > On 1 Jul 2008 at 2:51, mgrogg51 wrote:
                >
                > > Second, looking forward a project or two, can some one tell me what
                > > materials are used for the masts on the sailing models? Wood or metal
                > > tube or???
                >
                > On my Blivit 13 I used an old windsurfer mast (the fiberglass one-piece
                > masts are cheap and readily available as they are out of fashion
                with the
                > windsurfing crowd). It fits perfectly over 1-1/2" PVC and 2" ABS works
                > well for mast rings to attach your sail.
                > \----------------------------+----------------------------+ o_,
                > O_/ \ Ken Muldrew, PhD | Voice: (403) 220-5976 | <\__/7
                > <\__ \ Dept. of Cell Biology | Fax: (403) 270-0617 | | /
                > "\ L | University of Calgary | kmuldrew@... | / /
                > < +-----------------------+----------------------------+ / /
                > Morning coffee recapitulate phylogeny L/

              • rueffingkidding
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                  To get completely outside the box here, have you considered building a
                  second Arrow and attaching the two as vaka to make a catamaran? Aka
                  to be easily removable, of course ;-) I know that's OT as it doesn't
                  supply any answer at all to your original question re mast (sorry),
                  but hopefully it's not a total hijack...

                  -Roland
                  "Comparing monohull and multihull, the multihull's ultimate stability
                  position is floating upside down, where it makes a great liferaft. The
                  monohull's ultimate stability position is resting on the bottom where
                  it makes a good fish farm." - Ian Farrier

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                    If you look at what I just posted, I am a lot farther out of the box
                    than that. I have a constant camber Cat plan already, that I could
                    loft up and build as a geodesic, and it would have a better hull shape
                    and wetted area than two arrows side by side.

                    I like the looks of the classics, I would like to do a brightwater
                    skiff as a geodesic, and maybe a reduced size coastal schooner as
                    well. But the radical mast rake forward plan in the other post really
                    grabs me.

                    Michael

                    --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "rueffingkidding"
                    <rueffingkidding@...> wrote:

                    > To get completely outside the box here, have you considered building a
                    > second Arrow and attaching the two as vaka to make a catamaran? Aka
                    > to be easily removable, of course ;-) I know that's OT as it doesn't
                    > supply any answer at all to your original question re mast (sorry),
                    > but hopefully it's not a total hijack...
                    >
                    > -Roland
                    > "Comparing monohull and multihull, the multihull's ultimate stability
                    > position is floating upside down, where it makes a great liferaft. The
                    > monohull's ultimate stability position is resting on the bottom where
                    > it makes a good fish farm." - Ian Farrier
                    >
                    > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "mgrogg51" <mgrogg@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I hadn't thought of that. I see Windsurfer stuff on Craigslist from
                    > > time to time for what looks like a low price.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Michael
                    > >
                    > > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Muldrew" <kmuldrew@>
                    wrote:

                    > metal
                    > > >
                    > > > On my Blivit 13 I used an old windsurfer mast (the fiberglass
                    > one-piece
                    > > > masts are cheap and readily available as they are out of fashion
                    > > with the
                    > > > windsurfing crowd). It fits perfectly over 1-1/2" PVC and 2" ABS
                    > works
                    > > > well for mast rings to attach your sail.
                    > > > \----------------------------+----------------------------+ o_,
                    > > > O_/ \ Ken Muldrew, PhD | Voice: (403) 220-5976 |
                    > <\__/7
                    > > > <\__ \ Dept. of Cell Biology | Fax: (403) 270-0617 |
                    | /
                    > > > "\ L | University of Calgary | kmuldrew@ | / /
                    > > > < +-----------------------+----------------------------+ / /
                    > > > Morning coffee recapitulate phylogeny L/

                  • Roland Deschain
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                      My ultimate goal is to apply Platt Monfort's geodesic concept (albeit with minor material substitutions) to surfboards, so as one lunatic to another, I welcome you aboard!

                      -Roland
                      'Hamish Campbell: "You're a madman." Stephen of Eire: "Ah, I've come to the right place, then."'

                      > If you look at what I just posted, I am a lot farther out of
                      > the box
                      > than that. I have a constant camber Cat plan already, that
                      > I could
                      > loft up and build as a geodesic, and it would have a better
                      > hull shape
                      > and wetted area than two arrows side by side.
                      >
                      > I like the looks of the classics, I would like to do a
                      > brightwater
                      > skiff as a geodesic, and maybe a reduced size coastal
                      > schooner as
                      > well. But the radical mast rake forward plan in the other
                      > post really
                      > grabs me.
                      >
                      > Michael
                      >

                      > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com,
                      > "rueffingkidding"
                      > <rueffingkidding@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > To get completely outside the box here, have you
                      > considered building a
                      > > second Arrow and attaching the two as vaka to make a
                      > catamaran? Aka
                      > > to be easily removable, of course ;-) I know
                      > that's OT as it doesn't
                      > > supply any answer at all to your original question re
                      > mast (sorry),
                      > > but hopefully it's not a total hijack...
                      > >
                      > > -Roland
                      > > "Comparing monohull and multihull, the
                      > multihull's ultimate stability
                      > > position is floating upside down, where it makes a
                      > great liferaft. The
                      > > monohull's ultimate stability position is resting
                      > on the bottom where
                      > > it makes a good fish farm." - Ian Farrier
                      > >
                      > > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com,
                      > "mgrogg51" <mgrogg@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I hadn't thought of that. I see Windsurfer
                      > stuff on Craigslist from
                      > > > time to time for what looks like a low price.
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks,
                      > > >
                      > > > Michael
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken
                      > Muldrew" <kmuldrew@>

                      > two, can some one tell me
                      > what
                      > sailing models? Wood or
                      > > metal

                      > mast (the fiberglass
                      > > one-piece
                      > they are out of fashion
                      > > > with the
                      > 1-1/2" PVC and 2" ABS
                      > > works
                      > > > >
                      > \----------------------------+----------------------------+
                      > o_,
                      > (403) 220-5976 |
                      > > <\__/7
                      > Fax: (403) 270-0617 |
                      > | /
                      > kmuldrew@ | / /
                      > +-----------------------+----------------------------+ / /
                      > phylogeny L/

                    • mgrogg51
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                        > so as one lunatic to another, I welcome you aboard!

                        Thanks, I resemble that.

                        I think a surfboard would work, I am not sure how durable, but it
                        would light. Have you looked at adding a foil to a board?

                        If I can get a light cat or tri going, the next logical extension
                        would be to add foils and see if I can send my local rangers and fish
                        and wildlife officers over the edge. I have several lakes in the are
                        that are limited to paddle, sail or electric trolling motors. Flying
                        down the center of one of those in a 10 foot tri on foils would turn a
                        few heads.

                        Later,

                        Michael

                        --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Roland Deschain
                        <rueffingkidding@...> wrote:

                        > My ultimate goal is to apply Platt Monfort's geodesic concept
                        (albeit with minor material substitutions) to surfboards, so as one
                        lunatic to another, I welcome you aboard!

                        > -Roland
                        > 'Hamish Campbell: "You're a madman." Stephen of Eire: "Ah, I've
                        come to the right place, then."'

                      • Jeff Luke
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 3, 2008
                          Wow, now you guys got my interest with the mention of a multi-hull. I have been eyeballing a Farrier design F-22 or 24 trimaran (would love one regardless) to scale down to a ultralight construction in the 16' range, folding amas and all. At the weight and scale it should fly without a foil. Really have to pay attention to loads however.

                          Jeff
                          Sweet pea2 plans in hand for the kids and to practice

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 3, 2008
                            If anyone is interested, I have a windsurfer hull, sail and mast sitting in my garage they can have to build from.  It's not terribly old (around 10 years).  It's missing the mast step hnge.  I'm in Ipswich, MA

                            Beau Schless
                            President/CEO
                            NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
                            Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
                            HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
                            PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

                            "rueffingkidding" <rueffingkidding@...>
                            Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                            07/03/2008 08:27 AM

                            Please respond to
                            Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com

                            Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com
                            cc
                            Subject
                            [Airolite_Boats] Re: New Member - Couple of questions

                            To get completely outside the box here, have you considered building a
                            second Arrow and attaching the two as vaka to make a catamaran? Aka
                            to be easily removable, of course ;-) I know that's OT as it doesn't
                            supply any answer at all to your original question re mast (sorry),
                            but hopefully it's not a total hijack...

                            -Roland
                            "Comparing monohull and multihull, the multihull's ultimate stability
                            position is floating upside down, where it makes a great liferaft. The
                            monohull's ultimate stability position is resting on the bottom where
                            it makes a good fish farm." - Ian Farrier

                            --- In
                            Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "mgrogg51" <mgrogg@...> wrote:

                            > I hadn't thought of that. I see Windsurfer stuff on Craigslist from
                            > time to time for what looks like a low price.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Michael
                            >
                            > --- In
                            Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Muldrew" <kmuldrew@> wrote:

                            > > On 1 Jul 2008 at 2:51, mgrogg51 wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Second, looking forward a project or two, can some one tell
                            me what
                            > > > materials are used for the masts on the sailing models?
                            Wood or
                            metal
                            > > > tube or???
                            > >
                            > > On my Blivit 13 I used an old windsurfer mast (the fiberglass
                            one-piece
                            > > masts are cheap and readily available as they are out of fashion
                            > with the
                            > > windsurfing crowd). It fits perfectly over 1-1/2" PVC and
                            2" ABS
                            works
                            > > well for mast rings to attach your sail.
                            > > \----------------------------+----------------------------+ o_,
                            > > O_/ \ Ken Muldrew, PhD | Voice: (403) 220-5976 |
                            <\__/7
                            > > <\__ \ Dept. of Cell Biology | Fax: (403) 270-0617 | | /
                            > > "\ L | University of Calgary | kmuldrew@ | / /
                            > > < +-----------------------+----------------------------+ /
                            /
                            > > Morning coffee recapitulate phylogeny L/

                          • Kevin Barrett
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 3, 2008
                              Have a look at this

                              http://www.sheldrake.net/cardboards/build/

                              Kev

                            • mgrogg@juno.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 3, 2008
                                Now that is seriously cool!

                                Michael

                                > Have a look at this

                                http://www.sheldrake.net/cardboards/build/

                                Kev

                                Make all systems go with these great constipation treatments! Click now!
                                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Ioyw6iigGktoqyxnmlDlb5iHjzhcUtHlSx0dymilqWiInOODViZ27l/
                              • Roland Deschain
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 6, 2008
                                  Thanks. That is very cool and interesting. However, it appears to be more-or-less a replication of conventional board construction using a different core material. In the spirit of what Platt Monfort accomplished with the Geodesic boats, I plan to try to exploit the differences between skin-on-frame and conventional FRP on foam surfboards as advantages, not just try to duplicate the conventional board construction as closely as possible in other materials. My concept more closely resembles what Paul Jensen and Roy Stewart have done with wooden surfboard design, but with even wider departures from convention (rails - we don't need no stinkin' rails).

                                  -Roland