Re: Kevlar Roving

  • gjalthuppes
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2008
      I would say that the Kevlar Roving is especially functional when
      rowing. The forward forces on the Gunwales/Inwales is quite big
      (especially with a strong rower like my wife). These forces come
      together where the Gunwale and Inwale meet the Stem. That is why you
      have to be extra careful when building this joint. The Kevlar
      distributes these forces along the whole body of the boat.
      Gjalt

      --- In Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com, Joel Fairstein
      <castle1925@...> wrote:

      > I'm building a Classic 10 and will use the Kevlar on faith but
      don't
      > quite see its function. I thought perhaps it keeps the boat from
      > twisting along its long axis. To test this assumption, I turned
      the
      > boat's wooden frame (pre-Kevlar) over on a table and clamped down
      one
      > gunwale at the transom. I tried twisting the bow, but the frame
      > without Kevlar is quite rigid and resists twisting. The only
      weakness
      > seems to be along the beam, but seat rails should take care of that.
      >
      > Since the Kevlar is not glued to the Dacron, it can't very well
      serve
      > to stiffen the skin. Any thoughts on the specific function of the
      > Kevlar?
      >
      > Joel Fairstein
      >

      > On May 3, 2008, at 6:53 PM, noneof yourbusiness wrote:
      >

      > > Gjalt:
      > >
      > > Okay.. The answer is no. There is no need to attach the kevlar
      > > anything after it has been tightened. The head-n-bond will hold
      it
      > > in place. A function of the whole system is that there should be
      > > some elasticity when the boat is complete. Putting epoxy on the
      > > covering / kevlar would negate that. The kevlar stiffens the
      > > structure of the hull, but the hull will never be rigid.
      > >
      > > Sincerely:
      > > Paul T

      And
      > > if so: will this not influence the rip-stopping quality of the
      > > Dacron+Monokote?
      > >
      > > Gjalt
      > >

      > > To: Airolite_Boats@ yahoogroups. com
      > > From: second_floor_ loft@yahoo. com
      > > Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 05:18:09 -0700
      > > Subject: Re: [Airolite_Boats] Kevlar Roving and Monokote
      > >
      > > Gjalt:
      > >
      > > Just to clarify. The order of assembly should go as follows.
      > > 1. set up the strongback and stations.
      > > 2. place the stem, stringers, transom, gunwales etc.
      > > 3. iron on heat-n-bond.
      > > 4. put kevlar roving on and tension it...also seal it w/
      shellac.
      > > 5. put dacron on and heat shrink.
      > > 6. re-tension the kevlar. It will have loosened due to the
      > > dacron heat shrinking.
      > > 7. put monokote on over dacron. If the kevlar is loose at
      this
      > > stage you should be able to re-tension.
      > >
      > > Obviously abridged, but that is the general idea. Is this what
      you
      > > have done? If so, you can just re-heat the heat-n-bond at the
      > > points on the gunwale where the kevlar passes and pull it tight
      > > again. When the heat-n-bond cools (a few seconds) the kevlar
      will
      > > remain tight.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps.
      > >
      > > Sincerely:
      > > Paul T

      Dacron
      > > with Epoxy, now that I cover the Dacron on the outside with
      > > Monokote. I
      > > am afraid the epoxy will influence the rip-stopping quality of the
      > > Dacron+Monokote.
      > >
      > > Gjalt Huppes

      Mobile.
      > > Try it now.
      > >
      > > Het beste van Windows, nu ook online. Deel jouw wereld met
      Windows
      > > Live. Download nu.

      Mobile.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2008

        To answer Gjalt...no, you do not attach the kevlar to the dacron.

        Beau Schless
        President/CEO
        NOTEbookS Library Automation Systems
        Celebrating 15 years exceeding customers' expectations
        HTTP://WWW.RASCO.COM
        PH: 1.(978) 443-2996

        noneof yourbusiness <second_floor_loft@...>
        Sent by: Airolite_Boats@yahoogroups.com